• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG ODI World XIs Game

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhoni and Dev seem like the best finishing options here imo. Bevan in place of Dhoni is also acceptable but with the team balance thus far I think Kapil is perfectly suited to the role.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How many great teams are you thinking about? This team has an advantage that the keeper opens so the 7 spot has to be an all rounder and I realize SWaugh was a fine bowler at the start of his career but his batting just doesn't cut in the one day format specially down at 7.

watson

Banned
So why then did you include the weaker Waugh brother at 7? it just seems odd.

Your additions lack fire power, the team needs some at 6 or 7. Flintoff and Klusener both very good suggestions too.
Mark Waugh opened the batting and didn't 'chase'. Steve Waugh batted lower down the order and did 'chase'.

Kallis is relatively successful at T20, and so I think that he and Steve would be more than capable at cranking it up if they had too. They also have the added benefit of rescuing an innings after a collapse (unikley I know, but still a possbility), as well as both bowling tight in that middle period between overs 20-35.

However, having said that, Flintoff, Kleusener, and Dev are all excellent choices. I am splitting hairs here, as well as playing Devil's Advocate.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I honestly think there is one great combo here that people are missing out on for #6 and #7:

M S Dhoni
Lance Klusener

This is perfect. Two great finishers. Plus, Klusener is a wonderful fifth bowling option, not to mention that we already have Sachin and Viv to bowl a few overs. Klusener is a way better player to have than Andrew Flintoff, and marginally better than Kapil Dev, whose batting is very unreliable. Only Dhoni may be replaced by Bevan, but I like him better. Give me a reason why this is not the best combo.

The batting strength looks fine to me. I don't think you will require the #9-11 players, and anyway, Garner could hit a few when needed. Only Murali and McGrath are duds with the bat.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kallis being successful at T20 means nothing in this exercise. Obvs I know where the Waugh's batted and just thought Steve was far from the best all time team so couldn't believe his name mention ahead of the gun Waugh.

Harsh, I originally picked Dhoni ahead of Gilchrist but as soon as Gilly was chosen I wanted Bevan in the team. Honestly I would have prefered an Anwar/Ganguly/Waugh opening with Sachin and that way the fire power of Dhoni Klusener would have been awesome. As it stands, Klusener is very close and wouldn't begrudge him in this team but I just have a bit more confidence in Kapil sending down 10 quality overs. Klusener was very good when on song though.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Harsh, I originally picked Dhoni ahead of Gilchrist but as soon as Gilly was chosen I wanted Bevan in the team. Honestly I would have prefered an Anwar/Ganguly/Waugh opening with Sachin and that way the fire power of Dhoni Klusener would have been awesome. As it stands, Klusener is very close and wouldn't begrudge him in this team but I just have a bit more confidence in Kapil sending down 10 quality overs. Klusener was very good when on song though.
Choosing Bevan over Dhoni is fine. But Klusener, for me, is a marginally better choice than Kapil because Kapil's batting is definitely not as reliable, whereas the difference in their bowling is very small in ODIs. Klusener even had 6 5-fers compared to Kapil's 1, and that was given the strong competition he had from Donald, Pollock, and others.

smash84

The Tiger King
Exactly, picking Gilchrist as the keeper gives us this problem. i would also prefer Dhoni in my AT ODI side as the wk

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Choosing Bevan over Dhoni is fine. But Klusener, for me, is a marginally better choice than Kapil because Kapil's batting is definitely not as reliable, whereas the difference in their bowling is very small in ODIs. Klusener even had 6 5-fers compared to Kapil's 1, and that was given the strong competition he had from Donald, Pollock, and others.

Yeah t definitely is marginal isn't it. I definitely did fear Klusener as a batsman, what a terrific 99 world cup he had (especially if he had of scored 1 more run) but you mentioned consistency and I feel Dev was more consistent as a bowler. Dev was tighter, but bowlers went after Klusener so he wasnt so cheap but took wickets in the process. I really don't mind either pick but will stick with Dev just for the fact than I picked him. Klusener is a shoe in for the ssecond team I would hope.

watson

Banned
OK, I've seen the light, Changing my vote to;

Michael Bevan
Imran Khan

Although I not entirely sure why I would select him over the other two great ODI allrounders - Dev and Pollock. It might have something to do with his 'synergy' with Wasim Akram, and the fact that Imran was a more adaptive and rounded batsman. He could slog like Dev or Pollock, but he could also defend when the need be. As for Klusener - can't play spin (??).

Kapil Dev at No.7
Innings: 75
Ave: 24.17
NO: 13
SR: 87.55

Imran Khan at No.7
Innings: 26
Ave: 28.52
NO: 9
SR: 81.51

Shaun Pollock at No.7
Innings: 81
Ave: 29.69
NO: 26
SR: 88.94

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Question for you Watson.

Looking at those stats, who do you think performed the worst at number 7? Don't include bowling, fielding, captaining etc. Cheers

watson

Banned
Question for you Watson.

Looking at those stats, who do you think performed the worst at number 7? Don't include bowling, fielding, captaining etc. Cheers
They look about the same to me, despite Imran playing fewer innings because he also batted 5 and 6. Hence my comment - 'not entirely sure'.

I do feel that Imran and Wasim would combine well when batting together at No.7 and 8 being former team mates. They also bowled well in tandem. But again, that's just a hunch after trying to remember their efforts during the 1992 World Cup etc.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
They look about the same to me, despite Imran playing fewer innings because he also batted 5 and 6. Hence my comment - 'not entirely sure'.

I do feel that Imran and Wasim would combine well when batting together at No.7 and 8 being former team mates. They also bowled well in tandem. But again, that's just a hunch after trying to remember their efforts during the 1992 World Cup etc.
No there are 2 different things here. You said 'not entirely sure' why you selected him and that's fair enough, my question was just about those raw stats and which was the worst, because for me Imran has the worst out of the 3 and I'm curious I don't think everyone would say the same as me.

Let's just say the names were player a,b,c.

watson

Banned
No there are 2 different things here. You said 'not entirely sure' why you selected him and that's fair enough, my question was just about those raw stats and which was the worst, because for me Imran has the worst out of the 3 and I'm curious I don't think everyone would say the same as me.

Let's just say the names were player a,b,c.
I don't see how you can say that Imran's stat's are worse than Dev's or Pollock's as the Averages and Strike Rates are roughly the same. Pollock is ahead slightly, but I've assumed that his matches were less demanding overall - smaller fields etc.

Maybe I have been biased by Test matches - in that type of cricket Imran is the better batsman by a some distance. And this team needs a good batsman at No.7 for the sake of balance!

Last edited:

watson

Banned
This team is going to look a bit odd with 2 keepers - Gilchrist and Dhoni.

Surely Dhoni isn't the best ever No.6 batsman? He can't be.

(No offence to millions of Dhoni fans out there)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Dhoni isn't the best ever No.6 batsman? He can't be.
Why?

I mean Bevan was great - but someone might prefer Dhoni @ #6 because he's more aggressive. Both were amazing finishers though, and choosing one among the two (on batting alone) is tough IMO.

Last edited: