• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG ODI World XIs Game

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Number 5
Brian Lara - 9
Michael Bevan - 5
Dean Jones - 3
MS Dhoni - 3
Javed Miandad - 2
Kevin Pietersen - 1

First Change
Glenn McGrath - 6
Shane Bond - 5
Allan Donald - 3
Richard Hadlee - 3
Waqar Younis - 3
Brett Lee - 1
Shaun Pollock - 1
Shane Warne - 1

Team Thus Far
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Vivian Richards
5. Brian Lara
8. Wasim Akram
9. Muttiah Muralitharan
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Joel Garner

Jarquis

Select The #6 & #7
Michael Bevan, Chris Cairns, Michael Clarke, Hansie Cronje, AB De Villiers, MS Dhoni, Andrew Flintoff, Richard Hadlee, Michael Hussey, Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Lance Klusener, Clive Lloyd, Kevin Pietersen, Shahid Afridi, Shaun Pollock, Andrew Symonds,

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Clive Lloyd

Kapil

- Ponting, Richards, Lara and Lloyd all brilliant fieldsmen. Vital in ODIs imo.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Jacques Kallis
Steve Waugh

Need a good bat at No.7 because of the long tail.

Kallis and Waugh can share the 5th bowler duties. And Waugh won't crack under pressure when chasing a big total.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not sold on the batting order of 9,10,11.

Bevan at 6 and 7 is a bit difficult but I'll go for Dev.

watson

Banned
Kapil Dec averaged 27 with the bat. I don't don't think that this good enough considering who follows at 8-9-10-11.

Also, I must say at this stage that Richard Hadlee (or even Shaun Pollock) fell into the category of bleeding obvious with respect to that No.8 spot. Too late to go back now though.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Kapil Dec averaged 27 with the bat. I don't don't think that this good enough considering who follows at 8-9-10-11.

Also, I must say at this stage that Richard Hadlee (or even Shaun Pollock) fell into the category of bleeding obvious with respect to that No.8 spot. Too late to go back now though.
Didn't think we were basing selections on batting averages..

We've picked an all star top 5, number 7 needs to be a destructive hitter who likes to bat fast.

Jarquis

Also need to be a proper bowler seeing as Sachin looks to be the best option in the top 6...

watson

Banned
Didn't think we were basing selections on batting averages..

We've picked an all star top 5, number 7 needs to be a destructive hitter who likes to bat fast.
Even if we discount averages I don't think that Dev is good enough. He would be if he had a decent batsman to follow, but he doesn't. In other words, we've 'drawn th line in the sand' at 5-down.

Also, I'd like to leave the destructive hitting to Richards and Lara. With a line-up of decent batsman after them they are more free to 'let loose'. With only Bevan and Dev to follow they have no choice but to be inhibited.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really harsh on Wasim. I don't imagine the number 7 or 8 will come into bat within the first 40 overs often at all. Personally I wouldn't have picked McGrath and would rather the 9 being off lee/warne type batting quality but yeah the top six should be able to negotiate most of the 300 deliveries.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Reckon ODI teams need to bat to 7 (maybe 8). Having Wasim at 8 is great. 9,10 & 11 can be bunnies.

Kapil as a number 7 is perfect imo. Guy had a SR of 95 in ODIs, which would be excellent nowadays, but in the 80s was incredible. I always think Kapil with the bat is similar to Klusener (who is popular in ODI ATG teams), but a better bowler.

Kapil at 7 and Wasim at 8 is good imo. Then Garner can have a crack if required.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff still has a better batting and bowling record than Kapil in ODIs though.

With Lara coming in at 5 (still think that's way out of position for him) there definitely needs to be a big hitter at 6, which is why I've gone for Dhoni over Bevan.

I think Shane Watson should also be in contention for one of these spots.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Really harsh on Wasim. I don't imagine the number 7 or 8 will come into bat within the first 40 overs often at all. Personally I wouldn't have picked McGrath and would rather the 9 being off lee/warne type batting quality but yeah the top six should be able to negotiate most of the 300 deliveries.
But the assumption is that our batting-lie-up would be facing up to a McGrath-Garner-Akram-Dev-Murali equivalent. Hence, a balanced ODI side is indicated. Unfortunatley, our team is not a balanced ODI side no matter how you cut it because it effectively finishes at 6-down. No offence to Wasim Akram.

Also, I can't think of a great ODI team that has 5-front line bowlers. Most teams have 4 bowlers, plus one or two batsman like the Waugh twins that are very handy with the ball.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
But the assumption is that our batting-lie-up would be facing up to a McGrath-Garner-Akram-Dev-Murali equivalent. Hence, a balanced ODI side is indicated. Unfortunatley, our team is not balanced ODI side no matter how you cut it. No offence to Wasim Akram.
So why then did you include the weaker Waugh brother at 7? it just seems odd.

Your additions lack fire power, the team needs some at 6 or 7. Flintoff and Klusener both very good suggestions too.