Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The ATG ODI World XIs Game

OK, so I'm a sucker for stats......

There is a need to mention three players. I can already hear the reader or two saying "So! what's new: we know that already".

The first (amongst equals) is Tendulkar. A career which is almost the definition of consistency, not in any narrow numbers-based sense, but based on a broad definition. An RpI value exceeding 35 in almost all classifications, exceeding 40 in many classifications, no real failures (barring one: away against South Africa), tons of runs, all at an excellent strike rate. What more can one want.

The next one is Richards. Not many runs, by today's standards, but understandable. But almost all top quality runs, a very high career RpI, an away RpI which exceeds the already high career RpI, most of the runs scored away from home and all at a wonderful strike rate. An RpI value of 47+ in the key tournament matches adds to his aura.

The third one is Ponting. His overall numbers speak for themselves. Above-par performances in all locations and above-average against all countries. However what clinched this special inclusion is his tally of runs and RpI in the key tournament matches. These have contributed significantly to the team cause in winning three World Cups and two ICC Champions Trophies.
    Three jewels in the crown, that is all one can say.

I can hear a few readers asking me "why not complete the batting line-up?". A valid request. So I will give you my three additional players to go with these three jewels to complete the top-6 batting line-up. Gilchrist (to open with Tendulkar), Lara (at 4/5) and Pietersen (Bevan/Hussey ???). This leaves the seventh spot for a truly great all-rounder (Shakib Al Hassan, anyone? Averages of 35+ and 28+, playing for Bangladesh).

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Banned
    Ponting and Richards for very similar reasons

Ponting: Magnificent batsman, rose to the occasion numerous times on the biggest stage.
    The clincher is that he is imo the greatest all-round fielder in history. Brilliant slipper, great in the outfield, at point and probably affected more runouts than anyone else in history.

Richards: Amazing strike rate and average, aatonishing for his era, inarguably one of the top 2-3 ODI batsmen ever... like Ponting, raises his game on the biggest stage and a great fielder.

Banned
    lara 3
    richards 4

where is de silva?

Ponting and Richards.

Richards
    Ponting

In that order I think Richards played at #3 if im not mistaken
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

3. Zaheer Abbas
    4. Viv Richards
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Viv at 3, Ponting at 4
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    lara 3
    richards 4

where is de silva?
    Not there coz hes kinda overrated. Very good but not great imo

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    3. Richards
    4. ponting
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Not there coz hes kinda overrated. Very good but not great imo

if anything he is probably very very under rated. His name barely ever crops up in these discussions

DeSilva is slightly overrated in test matches. In ODIs, he's rated about rightly IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    DeSilva is slightly overrated in test matches. In ODIs, he's rated about rightly IMO.
    averaged 54 in last 40 tests
    terribly underrated .

averaged 54 in last 40 tests
    So, first 50-odd shouldn't count?

I hate to argue against DeSilva. He was a special player. But I have problems with people claiming that he was as good as batsmen like Steve Waugh or Inzamam overall. Yes, he was great for a period, but that doesn't mean we should just ignore the first 10 years of his cricket (often because most of us didn't watch him live at that period).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    So, first 50-odd shouldn't count?

I hate to argue against DeSilva. He was a special player. But I have problems with people claiming that he was as good as batsmen like Steve Waugh or Inzamam overall. Yes, he was great for a period, but that doesn't mean we should just ignore the first 10 years of his cricket (often because most of us didn't watch him live at that period).
    inzi played for pak
    waugh played for aus

inzi played for pak
    waugh played for aus
    Needs more dragons.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information