• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG ODI World XIs Game

watson

Banned
I make that;

Tendulkar = 13
Amla = 1
Jayasuriya = 1

Wasim = 12
McGrath = 6
Garner = 5
Donald = 2
Bond = 1
Waqar = 1
Hadlee = 1
Ambrose = 1

Very close between McGrath and Garner for the remaining spot.

(And since it's so close please check the tally for yourself)

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar

McGrath and Akram

(Garner with his superb death bowling will be the change bowler)

watson

Banned
Just wondering whether the stats for bowlers from the 70s-80s are better than they should be because the size of the field they played on was not reduced like it is now. That is, a 4 really had to hit the picket fence at the MCG or SCG, and so bowlers were more able to maintain good Economy Rates.

By the the time McGrath, Akram, and Murali started to play ODIs their job was made a lot more difficult due to boundary ropes and small out-fields. Hence their stats are really better than they appear relative to bowlers from previous decades.

By the same logic, should we favour batsman from the 70s-80s because their job was also more difficult? That is, if they played in the 2000s then their Average maybe about 10 runs higher because 4s are easier to hit.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Opening Batsman
Sachin Tendulkar - 16
Hashim Amla - 1
Sanath Jayasuriya - 1

Opening Bowlers
Wasim Akram - 16
Joel Garner - 8
Glenn McGrath - 7
Allan Donald - 2
Curtley Ambrose - 1
Shane Bond - 1
Richard Hadlee - 1
Shaun Pollock - 1
Waqar Younis - 1

Team Thus Far
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Sachin Tendulkar
8/9. Wasim Akram
10. Muttiah Muralitharan
11. Joel Garner

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Select The #3 and #4 (Make clear who for which position)
Michael Bevan, Greg Chappell, AB De Villiers, MS Dhoni, Inzamam Ul-Haq, Javed Miandad, Dean Jones, Jacques Kallis, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Vivian Richards, Roger Twose, Zaheer Abbas

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
3. Ponting
4. Richards

Was considering asking to have Amla as an option at 3, but he hasn't played for long enough I guess.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
OK, so I'm a sucker for stats......

There is a need to mention three players. I can already hear the reader or two saying "So! what's new: we know that already".

The first (amongst equals) is Tendulkar. A career which is almost the definition of consistency, not in any narrow numbers-based sense, but based on a broad definition. An RpI value exceeding 35 in almost all classifications, exceeding 40 in many classifications, no real failures (barring one: away against South Africa), tons of runs, all at an excellent strike rate. What more can one want.

The next one is Richards. Not many runs, by today's standards, but understandable. But almost all top quality runs, a very high career RpI, an away RpI which exceeds the already high career RpI, most of the runs scored away from home and all at a wonderful strike rate. An RpI value of 47+ in the key tournament matches adds to his aura.

The third one is Ponting. His overall numbers speak for themselves. Above-par performances in all locations and above-average against all countries. However what clinched this special inclusion is his tally of runs and RpI in the key tournament matches. These have contributed significantly to the team cause in winning three World Cups and two ICC Champions Trophies.
Three jewels in the crown, that is all one can say.

I can hear a few readers asking me "why not complete the batting line-up?". A valid request. So I will give you my three additional players to go with these three jewels to complete the top-6 batting line-up. Gilchrist (to open with Tendulkar), Lara (at 4/5) and Pietersen (Bevan/Hussey ???). This leaves the seventh spot for a truly great all-rounder (Shakib Al Hassan, anyone? Averages of 35+ and 28+, playing for Bangladesh).

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

Satyanash89

Banned
Ponting and Richards for very similar reasons

Ponting: Magnificent batsman, rose to the occasion numerous times on the biggest stage.
The clincher is that he is imo the greatest all-round fielder in history. Brilliant slipper, great in the outfield, at point and probably affected more runouts than anyone else in history.

Richards: Amazing strike rate and average, aatonishing for his era, inarguably one of the top 2-3 ODI batsmen ever... like Ponting, raises his game on the biggest stage and a great fielder.