• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG ODI World XIs Game

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tendulkar

Wasim
McGrath

Tempted to go for Bond here in place of McGrath. Difficult choice.

And even if this makes me sound like a fanboy: People not voting for Tendulkar, really??

harsh.ag

Sachin Tendulkar

Richard Hadlee
Curtly Ambrose
Love the bowling combo here. If you took McGrath as the third pacer, then we would have the ultimate battle of the corridor-masters.

Honestly, I don't feel like leaving out Bond from the team. But who should he replace, Wasim or McGrath? Any advice?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Love the bowling combo here. If you took McGrath as the third pacer, then we would have the ultimate battle of the corridor-masters.
As tempting as that may sound, I'll use Wasim as my third pacer. Hadlee and Ambrose will ruin batting lineups with the new ball, and Wasim will be my main weapon for reverse-swinging toe-crushers with the old ball. Off course, he'll be super-effective with conventional swing in his 4-over spell as first-change too.

On the other hand, I don't have too much objection if one of Hadlee and Ambrose is replaced by McGrath for building pressure with the new ball.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
There are some very interesting charts in the following article (2010);

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

I think the most relevant chart is the one where the bowler's RpO/Economy Rate is <4.25 (But other people may have a different take to me). Note that the X-axis plots the Strike Rate and the Y-axis plots the RpO/Economy Rate

The 'Top Performers/Defenders' (see upper half of the chart) were;

01. Garner
02. Hadlee
03. Holding
04. Ambrose
05. Marshall
06. Lillee
07. Chatfield
08. Pollock
09. Kapil Dev
10. Larsen
11. Walsh
12. McGrath
13. Wasim
14. Imran
15. Murali

The 'Top Performers' (see top right quadrant) were;

01. Garner
02. Hadlee
03. Holding
06. Lillee
08. Pollock
12. McGrath
13. Wasim
14. Imran
15. Murali

Based on that chart it would seem that the best opening pair would be Garner and Hadlee because they combine a low Strike Rate with a good Economy Rate.

However, McGrath has the best Strike Rate out of all the 'Top Performers' (see upper half of the chart) and on that basis is still a good choice. He's just not quite as miserly as Garner, Hadlee, Holding, or even Lillee.

Wasim V Hadlee V Garner is another matter and is a bit more problematic. It's nice to have the left-arm variation of Wasim, but Hadlee's and Garner's numbers are outstanding. Hadlee was the superior batsman too.

Projecting ahead - I'm now thinking that following list of bowlers would be pretty satisfactory;

07. Imran/Dev
08. Hadlee
09. Akram/Pollock
10. McGrath/Garner
11. Murali

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Based on that chart it would seem that the best opening pair would be Garner and Hadlee because they combine a low Strike Rate with a good Economy Rate.

However, McGrath has the best Strike Rate out of all the 'Top Performers' (see upper half of the chart) and on that basis is still a good choice. He's just not quite as miserly as Garner, Hadlee, Holding, or even Lillee.

Wasim V Hadlee V Garner is another matter and is a bit more problematic. It's nice to have the left-arm variation of Wasim, but Hadlee's and Garner's numbers are outstanding. Hadlee was the superior batsman too.
I think Garner is the only surefire lock-in for the bowling line-up. Out of the others, any two out of McGrath, Wasim, Donald, Pollock, Hadlee and Bond will do.

watson

Banned
I think Garner is the only surefire lock-in for the bowling line-up. Out of the others, any two out of McGrath, Wasim, Donald, Pollock, Hadlee and Bond will do.
IMO the team probably needs Hadlee's batting skills at No.8, and possibly even Wasim's batting skills at No.9. It's nice to bat down to No.9 when playing ODIs.

This leaves Garner and McGrath to battle out the No.10 spot.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There are some very interesting charts in the following article (2010);

It Figures | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

I think the most relevant chart is the one where the bowler's RpO/Economy Rate is <4.25 (But other people may have a different take to me). Note that the X-axis plots the Strike Rate and the Y-axis plots the RpO/Economy Rate
In some ways it's nice to have this analysis, but in other ways, the average is a composite of strike rate and economy rate anyway.

It's also important to note that Bond's strike rate improved since that article to be better than Lee's.

Of course, Bond wouldn't be used at the death, but he's pretty hard to overlook as a strike bowler considering his strike rate, average, and consistent performances against the best teams of his era.

Garner, Wasim and Bond would be perfect for me.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
IMO the team probably needs Hadlee's batting skills at No.8, and possibly even Wasim's batting skills at No.9. It's nice to bat down to No.9 when playing ODIs.
Since Gilchrist is opening, there's still an allrounder to pick who will likely be batting at 7. I doubt the batting is going to need much strengthening.

watson

Banned
Since Gilchrist is opening, there's still an allrounder to pick who will likely be batting at 7. I doubt the batting is going to need much strengthening.
Any One Day side worth its salt bats down to at least No.8.

At least that's the established convention as far as I can tell.