Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: The ATG ODI World XIs Game

Banned
    Im sorry, there is no way id agree that Imran could hit out and score quick runs as well as Kapil Dev. Im an Imran fanboy myself but even on his best dayi dont think he would come close to the destructive power of Kapil in the lower order.
    A case can be argued quite strongly that Imran was a better all-round batsman but at 7 or 8 id pick Kapil any day.

Dhoni, Dev and Waqar for me

I'd like something like this:

Saeed Anwar
    Hashim Amla
    Zaheer Abbas
    Greg Chappell/Javed Miandad/Dean Jones/Michael Hussey
    Andrew Symonds
    Mahendra Dhoni+
    Kapil Dev*
    Shaun Pollock
    Richard Hadlee
    Saqlain Mushtaq
    Curtly Ambrose
    Last edited by weldone; 19-02-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

International 12th Man
    MS Dhoni (6)

Waqar Younis and Shane Warne

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Imrans's ODI overall batting average is 33.41, Kapil's is 23.79 - a difference of about 10. In the No.7 position it is 28.52 versus 24.17. Kapil Dev's SR is much higher (95.07 versus 72.65) but this can be explained by the fact that Imran batted more often at No.5 and No.6 where there was less reason to slog. On-the-other-hand the majority of Kapil Dev's innings were at either No.7 or No.8, so he had little choice but to try and hit boundaries. Imran could be just as devastating when he had be, but batting in the middle-order meant that he had to pace himself more.

So all in all, I don't think that we can claim that either batsman is significantly better than the other by looking at ODI stats only.

However, we can say with some certainty that Imran Khan is an intrinically better and more talented batsman than Kapil Dev if we view both ODI and Test match stats combined. Imran's Test average stayed in the mid-30s throughout his career, and finished at 37.69. In the No.6 position for Pakistan he averaged a whopping 61.86 over 20 innings. None of Kapil Dev's figures come close to this number.

If the tail of our selected team didn't consist of Akram-Garner-Murali-McGrath then I may be inclined to pick Dev. However, since I know that Imran's batting technique is more rounded than Dev then I prefer Imran in the context of the team chosen.

In short, Imran's excellent batting technique allows him to play any role required by the situation. He has the better natural ability to play a supportive role and rotate the strike to Viv Richards if that is what he has to do. But also the ability to carve 4s and 6s in the last couple of overs if need be. I see him as more versatile than Dev. At least that's my opinion.

Imran Khan Huge Six v Australia 1992 WC - YouTube

i dont see imran doing this

world record 175*

20th Match: India v Zimbabwe at Tunbridge Wells, Jun 18, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

or this
    38 ball 72 vs holding , roberts , marshall and co
    2nd ODI: West Indies v India at Albion, Mar 29, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

at the end of 1987

imran - 102 matches, bat avg : 29.26 (17.5/match)
    All-round records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

kapil- 115 matches , bat avg: 28.56 ( 20.6 / match )
    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround

"Also, it is generally accepted that Imran is the best batsman out of all the 'great allrounders'." IS A WRONG STATEMENT . imran arguably better is acceptable

kapil -almost an ATG BAT when he was in form
    Last edited by sobers no:1; 19-02-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    at the end of 1987

imran - 102 matches, bat avg : 29.26 (17.5/match)

kapil- 115 matches , bat avg: 28.56 ( 20.6 / match )
    That is a little misleading. If you open your links Imran has better batting average in all the countries that the 2 have played until that point in time.

Would have to go with weldone here probably. Imran the better upper order batsman and Kapil probably better in the lower. Imran a more solid batsman.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    That is a little misleading. If you open your links Imran has better batting average in all the countries that the 2 have played until that point in time.

Would have to go with weldone here probably. Imran the better upper order batsman and Kapil probably better in the lower. Imran a more solid batsman.
    runs / match

kapil > imran in england , srilanka and U.A.E

in any situation , against any opponent , kapil can win the match like an ATG batsman.
    probably the most destructive batsman of alltime.

imagine a situation 5/100 in 20 overs.
    target 300
    bowlers - holding , donald , warne
    who do you want here ?? kapil or imran ??

runs / match

in any situation , against any opponent , kapil can win the match like an ATG batsman.

target 300
    Kapil is only better in SL and UAE actually.

Also in your situation it depends, if there are strong hitters to come I would actually want Imran to come in that situation. I don't want to lose any more wickets

Banned
    Kapil is only better in SL and UAE actually.

Also in your situation it depends, if there are strong hitters to come I would actually want Imran to come in that situation. I don't want to lose any more wickets
    in england

kapil 514 runs @ 15 matches 34.2/match
    imran 433 @ 20 matches 21.65 / match

why are you using per match and not per innings?

Banned
    why are you using per match and not per innings?
    i couldnt find that

runs / match

target 300
    Imran because with his bowling they wouldnt have required 300 to win in the first place

at the end of 1987
    Is there a specific reason why you wish to disregard the last few years of their careers?
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    Im sorry, there is no way id agree that Imran could hit out and score quick runs as well as Kapil Dev. Im an Imran fanboy myself but even on his best dayi dont think he would come close to the destructive power of Kapil in the lower order.
    A case can be argued quite strongly that Imran was a better all-round batsman but at 7 or 8 id pick Kapil any day.

Dhoni, Dev and Waqar for me
    Yeah, I got that wrong. Kapil is the more destructive batsman by some way. And he played some great innings against the West Indies during the mid-80s.

However, if you line up all their ODI and Test match innings side by side (using 'High Scores') Imran seems the more solid and consistent batsman. This is proven by the slightly better ODI and Test averages in most of the positions in the batting order.

So again, in our original team I still think that Imran was the better choice given the context of the team. He was comfortably the better bowler, and with Ponting, Richards, Lara, and Bevan in the middle-order, do you really need to focus on 'fire-power'.

But in the context of the team that we are currently selecting Kapil Dev is obviously the more suitable player in that No.7 spot.
    "I strongly feel the ICC should take action to ban the doosra since it just cannot be bowled legally. Ashley Mallett has said the 'doosra is nothing but chucking' and Australian spinners, including Shane Warne, have raised an alarm against coaching it in Australia." - BISHAN BEDI (2010)

Wicket Keeper
    MS Dhoni - Unanimous

Two Bowlers
    Kapil Dev - 6
    Shane Bond - 3
    Shane Warne - 3
    Allan Donald - 2
    Brett Lee - 2
    Waqar Younis - 2
    Andrew Flintoff - 1
    Michael Holding - 1
    Shane Watson - 1

Team Thus Far
    1. Saeed Anwar
    2. Hashim Amla
    3. Zaheer Abbas
    5/6. MS Dhoni
    7. Kapil Dev
    8. Shaun Pollock
    9. Richard Hadlee
    10. Shane Warne/Shane Bond
    11. Saqlain Mushtaq

Select Two Middle Order Batsmen
    Aravinda de Silva, Greg Chappell, Michael Clarke, Hansie Cronje, Martin Crowe, AB De Villiers, Andrew Flintoff, Michael Hussey, Inzamam Ul-Haq, Lance Klusener, Clive Lloyd, Javed Miandad, Dean Jones, Jacques Kallis, Damien Martyn, Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Symonds, Roger Twose,
    And indicate your preferred order 4-6.

Select Bond or Warne
    Last edited by Marcuss; 19-02-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread Information