• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG ODI World XIs Game

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Really needed Jayasuriya as the 6th bowler. Jayasuriya not being there would mean we can't (/shouldn't) select Klusener as 5th bowler, again....unless probably if we select someone like Symonds at no. 5 later...Then again, Jayasuriya is a far better bowler than Symonds.

Anyways, my votes are:

Richard Hadlee
Curtly Ambrose

Zaheer Abbas

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Really needed Jayasuriya as the 6th bowler. Jayasuriya not being there would mean we can't (/shouldn't) select Klusener as 5th bowler, again....unless probably if we select someone like Symonds at no. 5 later...Then again, Jayasuriya is a far better bowler than Symonds.
Flintoff yo.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Jayasuriya Gilchrist Kallis Viv Imran Kapildev Klusenar Pollock Hadlee Akram Warne..

Will the best ODI team be able to beat a team full of quality batting and bowling allrounders?
The best ODI team will lack batting depth + the best 5th and 6th bowlers which would give the allrounders side an advantage..
What do you guys think? Will individual brilliance of that team's players in one discipline overcome the combined ability of the players here?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff yo.
The only problem I have with Flintoff is that he is not suited to that no. 7 lower-order hitter role TBH. He didn't play there much either. I know he has a good strike rate overall, but this is coming from the personal experience of watching him bat in ODIs over the years. His best ODI innings came when he had time to get settled. He almost never did well when he came with 6 overs remaining and a high asking rate. Klusener and Kapil (and some others), did much better in such situations.

No.6 suits Flintoff better, but we'll probably have Dhoni there.

For the same reason, I didn't agree with Imran's selection in the 1st team. As much as I admire Imran, the last thing I'll want from Imran is to bat at no. 7 in an all-time ODI team. [ok probably not last - probably just over his fielding]

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The only problem I have with Flintoff is that he is not suited to that no. 7 lower-order hitter role TBH. He didn't play there much either. I know he has a good strike rate overall, but this is coming from the personal experience of watching him bat in ODIs over the years. His best ODI innings came when he had time to get settled. He almost never did well when he came with 6 overs remaining and a high asking rate. Klusener and Kapil (and some others), did much better in such situations.

No.6 suits Flintoff better, but we'll probably have Dhoni there.

For the same reason, I didn't agree with Imran's selection in the 1st team. As much as I admire Imran, the last thing I'll want from Imran is to bat at no. 7 in an all-time ODI team. [ok probably not last - probably just over his fielding]
Yeah I agree; if Flintoff plays he should probably bat 5 or 6, but I'd have no issue with him doing that and Dhoni batting 7. Dhoni's batted below lots of worse ODI batsmen than Flintoff while playing for India.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I agree; if Flintoff plays he should probably bat 5 or 6, but I'd have no issue with him doing that and Dhoni batting 7. Dhoni's batted below lots of worse ODI batsmen than Flintoff while playing for India.
What I am saying is this:

(Jayasuriya at #1 + Dhoni at #6 + Klusener at #7) > (Anwar at #1 + Flintoff at #6 + Dhoni at #7)

...both batting-wise AND bowling-wise.

Flintoff might be a better bowler than Klusener, but we just can't ignore the variety that Jayasuriya would've provided.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What I am saying is this:

(Jayasuriya at #1 + Dhoni at #6 + Klusener at #7) > (Anwar at #1 + Flintoff at #6 + Dhoni at #7)

...both batting-wise AND bowling-wise.

Flintoff might be a better bowler than Klusener, but we just can't ignore the variety that Jayasuriya would've provided.
I disagree entirely tbh. :p

I think they're roughly equal in terms of batting and the second combination is far stronger in bowling.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
OK then we disagree on that.

But on another note, I'd prefer playing Kapil at no. 7 than pushing Dhoni down to 7. In that way, we'll get a better bowler than Flintoff, and a batsman more suited to that no. 7 hard-hitter role.

watson

Banned
OK then we disagree on that.

But on another note, I'd prefer playing Kapil at no. 7 than pushing Dhoni down to 7. In that way, we'll get a better bowler than Flintoff, and a batsman more suited to that no. 7 hard-hitter role.
6. Dhoni
7. Dev
8. Hadlee

Looks very good IMO.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
]
Why? Can't Klusener bowl 10?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
6. Dhoni
7. Dev
8. Hadlee

Looks very good IMO.
You're forgetting Pollock. This will be lip-smacking:
6. Dhoni
7. Kapil
8. Pollock
9. Hadlee
10. Saqlain
11. Ambrose

Why? Can't Klusener bowl 10?
At this level of cricket, absolutely not IMO.
Yes, what PEWS said...

Klusener was a good bowler - but I won't back him to consistently bowl 10 overs in every match regardless of conditions opposition etc, especially at this level. Klusener would do well with an established 6th bowler like Jayasuriya.

Have absolutely no problem with Kapil, and to a lesser extent Flintoff bowling 10 overs every match...

Last edited:

Red

At this level of cricket, absolutely not IMO.
If my maths is right, Klusener (on average) bowled at least 7 overs per ODI in his career.

Economy rate of under 5.

Ave under 30.

SR of 38.

Seems viable to me that he'd be a sound fifth option.

Red

Just for comparison, Flintoff bowled (on average), under 7 overs per ODI. His raw stats are slightly better though.