Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The ATG ODI World XIs Game

Really harsh on Wasim. I don't imagine the number 7 or 8 will come into bat within the first 40 overs often at all. Personally I wouldn't have picked McGrath and would rather the 9 being off lee/warne type batting quality but yeah the top six should be able to negotiate most of the 300 deliveries.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Kapil Dec averaged 27 with the bat. I don't don't think that this good enough considering who follows at 8-9-10-11.

Also, I must say at this stage that Richard Hadlee (or even Shaun Pollock) fell into the category of bleeding obvious with respect to that No.8 spot. Too late to go back now though.
    Reckon ODI teams need to bat to 7 (maybe 8). Having Wasim at 8 is great. 9,10 & 11 can be bunnies.

Kapil as a number 7 is perfect imo. Guy had a SR of 95 in ODIs, which would be excellent nowadays, but in the 80s was incredible. I always think Kapil with the bat is similar to Klusener (who is popular in ODI ATG teams), but a better bowler.

Kapil at 7 and Wasim at 8 is good imo. Then Garner can have a crack if required.

Flintoff still has a better batting and bowling record than Kapil in ODIs though.

With Lara coming in at 5 (still think that's way out of position for him) there definitely needs to be a big hitter at 6, which is why I've gone for Dhoni over Bevan.

I think Shane Watson should also be in contention for one of these spots.
    Last edited by hendrix; 14-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Really harsh on Wasim. I don't imagine the number 7 or 8 will come into bat within the first 40 overs often at all. Personally I wouldn't have picked McGrath and would rather the 9 being off lee/warne type batting quality but yeah the top six should be able to negotiate most of the 300 deliveries.
    But the assumption is that our batting-lie-up would be facing up to a McGrath-Garner-Akram-Dev-Murali equivalent. Hence, a balanced ODI side is indicated. Unfortunatley, our team is not a balanced ODI side no matter how you cut it because it effectively finishes at 6-down. No offence to Wasim Akram.

Also, I can't think of a great ODI team that has 5-front line bowlers. Most teams have 4 bowlers, plus one or two batsman like the Waugh twins that are very handy with the ball.
    Last edited by watson; 14-02-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    But the assumption is that our batting-lie-up would be facing up to a McGrath-Garner-Akram-Dev-Murali equivalent. Hence, a balanced ODI side is indicated. Unfortunatley, our team is not balanced ODI side no matter how you cut it. No offence to Wasim Akram.
    So why then did you include the weaker Waugh brother at 7? it just seems odd.

Your additions lack fire power, the team needs some at 6 or 7. Flintoff and Klusener both very good suggestions too.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Dhoni and Dev seem like the best finishing options here imo. Bevan in place of Dhoni is also acceptable but with the team balance thus far I think Kapil is perfectly suited to the role.
    Last edited by Daemon; 14-02-2013 at 08:46 PM.

How many great teams are you thinking about? This team has an advantage that the keeper opens so the 7 spot has to be an all rounder and I realize SWaugh was a fine bowler at the start of his career but his batting just doesn't cut in the one day format specially down at 7.

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    So why then did you include the weaker Waugh brother at 7? it just seems odd.

Your additions lack fire power, the team needs some at 6 or 7. Flintoff and Klusener both very good suggestions too.
    Mark Waugh opened the batting and didn't 'chase'. Steve Waugh batted lower down the order and did 'chase'.

Kallis is relatively successful at T20, and so I think that he and Steve would be more than capable at cranking it up if they had too. They also have the added benefit of rescuing an innings after a collapse (unikley I know, but still a possbility), as well as both bowling tight in that middle period between overs 20-35.

However, having said that, Flintoff, Kleusener, and Dev are all excellent choices. I am splitting hairs here, as well as playing Devil's Advocate.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    I honestly think there is one great combo here that people are missing out on for #6 and #7:

M S Dhoni
    Lance Klusener

This is perfect. Two great finishers. Plus, Klusener is a wonderful fifth bowling option, not to mention that we already have Sachin and Viv to bowl a few overs. Klusener is a way better player to have than Andrew Flintoff, and marginally better than Kapil Dev, whose batting is very unreliable. Only Dhoni may be replaced by Bevan, but I like him better. Give me a reason why this is not the best combo.

The batting strength looks fine to me. I don't think you will require the #9-11 players, and anyway, Garner could hit a few when needed. Only Murali and McGrath are duds with the bat.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Clive Lloyd
    Shaun Pollock
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Kallis being successful at T20 means nothing in this exercise. Obvs I know where the Waugh's batted and just thought Steve was far from the best all time team so couldn't believe his name mention ahead of the gun Waugh.

Harsh, I originally picked Dhoni ahead of Gilchrist but as soon as Gilly was chosen I wanted Bevan in the team. Honestly I would have prefered an Anwar/Ganguly/Waugh opening with Sachin and that way the fire power of Dhoni Klusener would have been awesome. As it stands, Klusener is very close and wouldn't begrudge him in this team but I just have a bit more confidence in Kapil sending down 10 quality overs. Klusener was very good when on song though.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Harsh, I originally picked Dhoni ahead of Gilchrist but as soon as Gilly was chosen I wanted Bevan in the team. Honestly I would have prefered an Anwar/Ganguly/Waugh opening with Sachin and that way the fire power of Dhoni Klusener would have been awesome. As it stands, Klusener is very close and wouldn't begrudge him in this team but I just have a bit more confidence in Kapil sending down 10 quality overs. Klusener was very good when on song though.
    Choosing Bevan over Dhoni is fine. But Klusener, for me, is a marginally better choice than Kapil because Kapil's batting is definitely not as reliable, whereas the difference in their bowling is very small in ODIs. Klusener even had 6 5-fers compared to Kapil's 1, and that was given the strong competition he had from Donald, Pollock, and others.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

Exactly, picking Gilchrist as the keeper gives us this problem. i would also prefer Dhoni in my AT ODI side as the wk
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Choosing Bevan over Dhoni is fine. But Klusener, for me, is a marginally better choice than Kapil because Kapil's batting is definitely not as reliable, whereas the difference in their bowling is very small in ODIs. Klusener even had 6 5-fers compared to Kapil's 1, and that was given the strong competition he had from Donald, Pollock, and others.

Yeah t definitely is marginal isn't it. I definitely did fear Klusener as a batsman, what a terrific 99 world cup he had (especially if he had of scored 1 more run) but you mentioned consistency and I feel Dev was more consistent as a bowler. Dev was tighter, but bowlers went after Klusener so he wasnt so cheap but took wickets in the process. I really don't mind either pick but will stick with Dev just for the fact than I picked him. Klusener is a shoe in for the ssecond team I would hope.

Mahendra Dhoni
    Lance Klusener
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information