• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Armstrong- The 100 Greatest Cricketers

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
if barry is different from hobbs / gavaskar / hutton (lets frgt trumper , sehwag.. )

procter is different from hadlee / imran
a match winning batsman + ATG bowler + very good fielder
only miller can b a match ( but his wkt-match ratio is very low )
that means procter is as unique as barry
Pollock is very unique and I agree that only Miller is a true competitor for him as a total package. Top order batsman, opening quality bowler and good overall/slip fielder.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
if barry is different from hobbs / gavaskar / hutton (lets frgt trumper , sehwag.. )

I'm only going on what I've read/heard about Barry Richards. But seriously good judges of cricketers (I.Chappell, Benaud, Bradman, Thomson) say that he was the best (or close to the best) batsman they ever saw. A technically correct, very aggressive opening batsman.

Procter was good, no doubt.

smash84

The Tiger King
it is interesting to note that while Chappell, Benaud, Bradman etc are willing to put Barry Richards in their XIs not the same accolades are reserved for Procter it seems.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a person, long story

As a player, the guy is a great

Should've captained arguably the greatest ever team for years longer than he did and is the last person you'd ever want to see come into bat

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Watch some videos of Imran at his best as a bowler - unbelievable

Check this out (Imran Khan vs India 1982/83 in Pakistan - YouTube) and bear in mind the conditions (super flat) and opposition (Gavaskar, Vengsarkar, Armanath, Viswanath, Dev, etc.)

He also averaged 50+ as a batsman for an extended period and unified the uncontrollable Pakistanis as a captain

A talented guy whose best performances were for Gloucestershire cannot compare

archie mac

International Coach
I'm only going on what I've read/heard about Barry Richards. But seriously good judges of cricketers (I.Chappell, Benaud, Bradman, Thomson) say that he was the best (or close to the best) batsman they ever saw. A technically correct, very aggressive opening batsman.

Procter was good, no doubt.
Interestingly Holding didn't rate him that highly, he thought county cricket ruined him and created deficiencies in his technique when it came to international cricket.

Check this out (Imran Khan vs India 1982/83 in Pakistan - YouTube) and bear in mind the conditions (super flat) and opposition (Gavaskar, Vengsarkar, Armanath, Viswanath, Dev, etc.)

He also averaged 50+ as a batsman for an extended period and unified the uncontrollable Pakistanis as a captain

A great bowler, I wonder if the bottle top featured during this period? I remember some footage of Rodney Hogg walking back to his mark in a Test match around this period and picking the seam. The commentators thought i amusing, so I imagine all the bowlers were up to it.

Personally I don't see the big deal, bowlers are always up against it. Less bouncers, better bats, shorter boundaries. Who cares if they pick the seem or suck lollies to keep up the shine or rub the ball in the dirt or use resin like the old timers use to.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Everyone always brings up him averaging 50+ for his last 10 years. He only scored 5 centuries, and 6 overall. His batting is very overrated. The only allrounders with worse batting are Hadlee and Kapil. He was an excellent bowler, but a very, very average batsman.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I agree that his batting wasn't that great, but his bowling was truly excellent and would get him picked in most ATG teams alone. There was a good long period where it would be tough to even pick Malcolm Marshall above him.

The batting is just a bonus. A bonus that happens to be more than what Kapil or Hadlee provided.

the big bambino

International Captain
From 67 to 94 the world had these all rounders: Proctor, Rice, Hadlee, Dev, Imran, Akram, Botham and Marshall. Golden age for sure. Australia had Phil Carlson and Trevor Laughlin. We're still searchin'.

watson

Banned
Everyone always brings up him averaging 50+ for his last 10 years. He only scored 5 centuries, and 6 overall. His batting is very overrated. The only allrounders with worse batting are Hadlee and Kapil. He was an excellent bowler, but a very, very average batsman.
Imran is what he is. A superb No.8 batsman, an excellent No.7 batsman, a passable but ultimately out of his depth No.6 batsman. No more no less.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Also, for one brief moment during the World Cup and one Test series against the West Indies Gary Gilmour was as good as any allrounder in the world.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The omission of Anil Kumble is indicative of Armstrong's philosophy when selecting his ATG players;

Geoff Armstrong prefers players who brought something new and exciting to the game, or inspired by their uniqueness. Successful, but 'run-off-the-mill' players seem to get the shaft for the most part.
So what was "new" thing that Shane Warne brought to the cricketing world other than masking agents?

And not to see Saqlain Mushtaq who brought something new to the game . . .

Blatently pro-English I'd say.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So what was "new" thing that Shane Warne brought to the cricketing world other than masking agents?

Some revival of leg spin or something, most people reckon.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Some revival of leg spin or something, most people reckon.
Yeah, we owe all the leg spinners currently in their countries' best Test elevens right now to Shane Warne making it cool again when they were all kids 15 years ago.

Without him, we probably wouldn't have the genius on show of .. umm.. err.. Jeevan Mendis and Imran Tahir.

Hmm.

Satyanash89

Banned

Blatantly anti-Warne post, this.
Warne has stats comparable to Murali and was far more exciting to watch than any other spinner. Theres no denying how unique and special he was in terms of entertainment.
It was always great fun to watch him work out a plan for every batsman and more often than not, he executed it perfectly.