Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Geoff Armstrong- The 100 Greatest Cricketers

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Personally I think that in terms of batting ability Stan McCabe was every bit as good a batsman as Bradman, the difference between them (and a very significant one at that) being that he simply didn't have that all-consuming desire to succeed at all costs and the relentless ability to concentrate consistently that that brings with it
    If Bradman played in the modern era and therefore tallied 100-150 Test matches, as well as a similar amount of ODIs, do you think that he would average near 100?

I think that when people are sceptical of Bradman they are not really questioning his batting skill, footwork, or reflexes. But rather they are calling into question his ability to maintain motivation and concentration during a gruelling and concentrated schedule of cricket formats.

In other words, it would be very interesting to watch Bradman as a member of Bill Lawry's Australian side that toured India in 1969/70, then South Africa straight after. It seems quite reasonable to surpose that Bradman would have come unstuck like the rest of the top-order when fronting up to a rampaging Procter on a Cape Town green-top after battling for a couple of months on the dusty pitches of India. Fatigue and contrasting conditions may have got the better of him.
    PRE WWI
    Grace-Trumper-Hill-Taylor-Ranjitsinhji-Faulkner-Noble-Lilley-Turner-Richardson-Barnes
    PRE WWII
    Hobbs-Sutcliffe-Bradman-Hammond-Headley-Macartney-Ames-Gregory-Larwood-O'Reilly-Grimmett
    POST WWII
    Hutton-Simpson-Kanhai-Pollock-Harvey-Sobers-Waite-Benaud-Davidson-Lindwall-Trueman
    PACKER ERA
    Gavaskar-Greenidge-Richards-Chappell-Lloyd-Botham-Imran-Knott-Lillee-Holding-Underwood
    MODERN ERA
    Hayden-Langer-Ponting-Tendulkar-Lara-Kallis-Gilchrist-Marshall-Warne-Ambrose-McGrath

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    I am in total agreement with watson's last two posts.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    If Bradman played in the modern era and therefore tallied 100-150 Test matches, as well as a similar amount of ODIs, do you think that he would average near 100?

I think that when people are sceptical of Bradman they are not really questioning his batting skill, footwork, or reflexes. But rather they are calling into question his ability to maintain motivation and concentration during a gruelling and concentrated schedule of cricket formats.

In other words, it would be very interesting to watch Bradman as a member of Bill Lawry's Australian side that toured India in 1969/70, then South Africa straight after. It seems quite reasonable to surpose that Bradman would have come unstuck like the rest of the top-order when fronting up to a rampaging Procter on a Cape Town green-top after battling for a couple of months on the dusty pitches of India. Fatigue and contrasting conditions may have got the better of him.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post

He had four full of tours of England and never averaged less than 80 odd so I'm not convinced it would have made much difference if he had had a more hectic schedule, nor that playing in more varied conditions would have fazed him - and as far as the present day is concerned I think he might have gained more from the better equipment and the lack of sticky wickets and leg theory than he would have lost elsewhere - the bloke was a one-off

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    WTF? So only Bradman needs his numbers reducing? Care to explain that one?
    not only bradman , all the abnormal performers WG , SFB , headley , hobbs after 40 ..
    their peers were not as competitive as them. but they all can cope up with changing conditions by increasing their competency, a more professional approach. that will reduce gap btwn players.

bradman 100 , hammond 55 = say , 10% competency
    bradman 50 , hammond 22.5 = 10% competency

competency remains the same when you reduce the numbers proportionally .

if you increase competency by 5% that may result in reducing the gap by 20%
    then bradman 80 , hammond 55

another example
    dhyanchand alone scoring 15 goals , opponent team returns 5 goals
    now you think , today's game is more competitive so the figures would be dhyanchand 7.5 goals , opposite 2.5 goals. that is illogical . dhyanchandhs/WGs/dons all will become, best among equals . nothing more nothing less.

imagine WG with an average of 110 and don with 100 in modern era.

Tbh, in the few clips that I have seen of Bradman batting, he is far from orthodox (very, very bottom-handed) and hardly an attractive batsman

By way of comparison, McCabe was apparently very orthodox and very good to watch

However, as you say, biggest diference was allegedly in their mentality

Banned
    Personally I think that in terms of batting ability Stan McCabe was every bit as good a batsman as Bradman, the difference between them (and a very significant one at that) being that he simply didn't have that all-consuming desire to succeed at all costs and the relentless ability to concentrate consistently that that brings with it
    this
    ( i think , bradman himself said something similar, on the difference between him and peers)

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Tbh, in the few clips that I have seen of Bradman batting, he is far from orthodox (very, very bottom-handed) and hardly an attractive batsman

By way of comparison, McCabe was apparently very orthodox and very good to watch

However, as you say, biggest diference was allegedly in their mentality
    true that

He had four full of tours of England and never averaged less than 80 odd so I'm not convinced it would have made much difference if he had had a more hectic schedule, nor that playing in more varied conditions would have fazed him - and as far as the present day is concerned I think he might have gained more from the better equipment and the lack of sticky wickets and leg theory than he would have lost elsewhere - the bloke was a one-off
    In present day he might have averaged a bit more than say in 70s- till 2000, where I don't believe his average would have been anymore than 75, if not 70

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I think his average from 70s-90s would be less than that in the 00s

assuming that he would've played at least 100 tests, not just 52

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    getting older wont help averaging more

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by sobers no:1 View Post
    getting older wont help averaging more
    Bradman actually averaged more after the war.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Bradman actually averaged more after the war.
    see , i said that already.. he was abnormal

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Trying to estimate what Bradman would average in the modern game is nothing more than pure speculation and will never reach agreement

For those that say that he would still average around 100, that means that he would be nearly twice as effective as Viv, Sunil and Greg Chappell - I'm calling total bs on that one

For those that say that he would average say 70, that means the likes of Hammond would be nothing more than average batsmen or slightly above

I treat the Don in the same way as I treat Babe Ruth - rather than picking holes in their resume (e.g. the Babe never played with or against the races that dominate modern day baseball), it's best just to respect their achievements and afford them the place in history they deserve

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread Information