• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Armstrong- The 100 Greatest Cricketers

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
50 % ??
a batsman of 90 avg is 50% better than a batsman with avg.60
is that ok?

i want to know , why only bradman is clearly better than modern greats ? why not WG ?
Largely, because of changes within the game. Thus, we can only really rank Bradman against players who played with similar rules as he did. I mean, even you can admit that its stupid to try and compare say, underarm bowlers and Brett Lee, right?

sobers no:1

Banned
Largely, because of changes within the game. Thus, we can only really rank Bradman against players who played with similar rules as he did. I mean, even you can admit that its stupid to try and compare say, underarm bowlers and Brett Lee, right?
its as stupid as comparing highly competitive modern cricketers to pre 70s cricketers

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Donald Bradman *
Viv Richards ^
Sachin Tendulkar
Garfield Sobers ^
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall
Shane Warne ^
Glen Mcgrath

Sunil Gavaskar
Herbert Sutcliffe
George Headley
Brian Lara ^
Greg Chappell *^
Jacques Kallis ^
Keith Miller
Allan Knott +
Curtly Ambrose
Dennis Lillee
Muttiah Muralitharan

Gordon Greenidge ^
Barry Richards
Wally Hammond ^
Graeme Pollock
Ricky Ponting ^
Frank Worrell *
Les Ames +
Richard Hadlee
Michael Holding
Fred Trueman
Bill O’Reilly

Arthur Morris
Bobby Simpson ^
Kumar Sangakkara
Everton Weekes ^
Allan Border *
Clyde Walcott +
Ian Botham ^
Ray Lindwall
Jim Laker
Joel Garner
Sydney Barnes

Victor Trumper
Geoffrey Boycott
Rahul Dravid ^
Neil Harvey ^
Javed Miandad * ^
Aubrey Faulkner
Mike Procter
Alan Davidson
Hedley Verity
Jack Blackham +
Allan Donald

Graeme Gooch ^
Matthew Hayden ^
Rohan Kanhai ^
Kevin Pietersen
Steve Waugh *
Andy Flower +
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Andy Roberts
Dale Steyn
Clarrie Grimmett

Graeme Smith ^
Vijay Merchant
Ken Barrington
Stan McCabe ^
Clive Lloyd *^
Charlie Macartney
John Waite +
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble
Harold Larwood
Courtney Walsh

Bruce Mitchell ^
Virender Sehwag
Denis Compton
Inzamam Ul-Haq ^
Dudley Nourse
Tony Greig ^
Farokh Engineer +
Richie Benaud *
Ian Bishop
Waqar Younis
John Snow

Conrad Hunte
Eddie Barlow ^
Ian Chappell *^
Ted Dexter
Martin Crowe ^
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Ian Healy +
Wes Hall
Alec Bedser
Colin Croft
Subhash Gupte

Trevor Goddard
Doesn't anyone else want to take a stab at constructing 9 teams?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's William Lillywhite; by gosh he was gun. So far ahead of his peers that he earned the nickname Nonpareil. Wasim Akram was closer to Suranga Lakmal in performance than he was to this round arm slow bowler.
But remember to basically group all of his peers together since cricket wasn't as competitive back then. If they all played now they'd all have equal success or failure, and their records would be near identical. Any abbreviations from the mean in those days is an outlier that would be chopped off if they played now.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Doesn't anyone else want to take a stab at constructing 9 teams?
Not really, its a fair bit of work. Specially if you forget someone.

Anyways, were we gonna do the Sri Lankan ATG thing? I can't remember if we did NZ already..

watson

Banned
I might have a go later.

I think the best way to go would be to fill individual batting positions for each of the 9 teams, rather than construct whole teams in sequence. In other words, find opening combo's for each team, then No.3s for each team, then opening bowlers for each team, and so on.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I might have a go later.

I think the best way to go would be to fill individual batting positions for each of the 9 teams, rather than construct whole teams in sequence. In other words, find opening combo's for each team, then No.3s for each team, then opening bowlers for each team, and so on.
Though obviously that wasn't what he was trying to do, I do believe that is a much better way. I think this is probably one of the worst ways to go about it, if you were picking the "100 Greatest Cricketers"

sobers no:1

Banned
So who is he?

Btw are you from Kerala? My wife and I know some good people from there who have settled in Australia.
yes. god's own country :)

he is mohanlal - biggest superstar of malayalam (language of kerala) film industry for last 25years. and india's best actor according to most film pundits. FAR BETTER THAN ANY OTHER ACTOR IMO. even better than tom (tom n jerry)

Last edited: