• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Armstrong- The 100 Greatest Cricketers

BeardofAmla

Cricket Spectator
in that case

wg >= bradman > headley > hobbs > rest
I don't know if you have the same principle but I always believe that one can't really compare players from the different era's with another as there are many factors that would it into a never ending discussion.

Wouldn't you think if it was better if they had devided it up into 30 years? Considereding the 1900-1930 there was two test test teams and a weak SA just coming into the game. Then 50's to 80's that was a era which they almost played in same circumstances more quality Bowlers and the last era with no bouncer restrictions?

90's till current we have basically same laws and a new crop of stars coming to age. Plus batting avg per country did not increase as much in that period.

It would be really unfair to say Grace is better than Tendulkar or Lara considering cricket was restricted to privilege and a guy bowling 150km/h was unheard of neither was a reverse sweep, switch hit or Gray Nichols bat with a sweetspot as big as the bat.

Would really think that's the only way to settle it and bring justice to the talents of the different era's and recognizing their skills

sobers no:1

Banned
I don't know if you have the same principle but I always believe that one can't really compare players from the different era's with another as there are many factors that would it into a never ending discussion.

Wouldn't you think if it was better if they had devided it up into 30 years? Considereding the 1900-1930 there was two test test teams and a weak SA just coming into the game. Then 50's to 80's that was a era which they almost played in same circumstances more quality Bowlers and the last era with no bouncer restrictions?

90's till current we have basically same laws and a new crop of stars coming to age. Plus batting avg per country did not increase as much in that period.

It would be really unfair to say Grace is better than Tendulkar or Lara considering cricket was restricted to privilege and a guy bowling 150km/h was unheard of neither was a reverse sweep, switch hit or Gray Nichols bat with a sweetspot as big as the bat.

Would really think that's the only way to settle it and bring justice to the talents of the different era's and recognizing their skills
then , how come this ?
"Bradman first then daylight then Pollock, Tendulkar/Lara Sobers/Kallis, Richards"

for me
wg is arguably greatest batsman
so is bradman
so is sobers
pollock
barry
gavaskar
viv
sachin
and
lara

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Larwood, Farnes, Voce and Tate were pretty good bowlers. I suppose we will never know, my money is on Bradman to still average 80+
Bad bet

Bradman averaged 89.78 against "pretty good" bowlers from England

Unfortunately, the Windies of late 70s/early 80s didnt deal in "pretty good"

Aside from rebel tours and WSC, they dealt in at least 3 ATGs backed by an "incredible" 4th paceman, cynical tactics and arguably the greatest fielding side ever assembled

As I have said, no argument in calling Bradman the best ever (his achievements are akin to Federer winning virtually every Slam he played in his career) but let's not kid ourselves by rating him 60% better than Greg Chappell!

BeardofAmla

Cricket Spectator
then , how come this ?
"Bradman first then daylight then Pollock, Tendulkar/Lara Sobers/Kallis, Richards"

for me
wg is arguably greatest batsman
so is bradman
so is sobers
pollock
barry
gavaskar
viv
sachin
and
lara
I was making a suggestion and you would notice the / between Kallis and Sobers. Bradman is tops but I don't see where Grace fits into it. Bradman still averaged over 60 when they fired the short pitched stuff at him. Its just unfair if you look how Gooch's face looked after facing the Windies and the aggressive bowling something the greats from your list did not get a taste of

archie mac

International Coach
Bad bet

Bradman averaged 89.78 against "pretty good" bowlers from England

Unfortunately, the Windies of late 70s/early 80s didnt deal in "pretty good"

Aside from rebel tours and WSC, they dealt in at least 3 ATGs backed by an "incredible" 4th paceman, cynical tactics and arguably the greatest fielding side ever assembled

As I have said, no argument in calling Bradman the best ever (his achievements are akin to Federer winning virtually every Slam he played in his career) but let's not kid ourselves by rating him 60% better than Greg Chappell!
60%? Chappell 53 Bradman 80. I do know about the WIs 80s attack, still simply don't agree he would struggle. Less than he averaged in the 30s still better than everyone else. Anyway going around in circles so will stop discussion:)

archie mac

International Coach

Cricket was more popular with the average Englishman at the time than now, when it is more of a privileged game.

No one knows what speed they bowled but Kortwright (spelling) was very quick

the big bambino

International Captain
I think that there is a vast difference between being paid to do something and adopting a professional approach

IMO, the latter implies doing virtually everything in one's power to give yourself the best chance of being succesful.

In Bradman's case, he was notoriously meticulous in his preparation and his discipline to the task at hand was legendary whilst the same could not be said of his contemporaries (many of whom would not have survived in today's environment)
No doubt their have been innovations but it is wrong to say players of that era weren't serious professionals or didnot incorporate or create new innovations. The Yorkshire side of the era were the benchmark for a professional outfit. The important thing is attitude and willingness to succeed. It is risible to think that a professional of that era would not have easily adapted to the modern dietary requirements and training methods. Theres no logical reason why they wouldn't have.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
No doubt their have been innovations but it is wrong to say players of that era weren't serious professionals or didnot incorporate or create new innovations. The Yorkshire side of the era were the benchmark for a professional outfit. The important thing is attitude and willingness to succeed. It is risible to think that a professional of that era would not have easily adapted to the modern dietary requirements and training methods. Theres no logical reason why they wouldn't have.
Run a poll. Is this a good, or bad choice of word if Bambino wants to assert that Yorkshire were professional?

the big bambino

International Captain
Skill will always be paramount and one of the beauties of cricket is that they are always evolving

In W G Graces time, the "mystery" ball was a googly

Bradman never had to face reverse swing or doosras

Until the late 60s, fieldsmen did not leave their feet to stop a ball
These are hardly insurmountable obstacles and you should acquaint yourself with some the SA sides of the 50s and fieldsmen like Davidson and Simpson. Much better than some of the slack fielding we have now.

the big bambino

International Captain
I disagree, Bradman was a genius and a great batsman, but those who belive that he would have averaged the same out in any other era are seriously fooling themselves. Hobbs did have some favorable rules, but he played on much tougher wickets and played in a much more bolwer friendly conditions...,.
Oh dear and on and on it goes. If you take Bradman's contribition out ,the 30s had one of the lowest runs per wickets average of any decade. Sorry to interupt you with a fact.

the big bambino

International Captain
Trying to estimate what Bradman would average in the modern game is nothing more than pure speculation and will never reach agreement

For those that say that he would still average around 100, that means that he would be nearly twice as effective as Viv, Sunil and Greg Chappell - I'm calling total bs on that one

For those that say that he would average say 70, that means the likes of Hammond would be nothing more than average batsmen or slightly above

I treat the Don in the same way as I treat Babe Ruth - rather than picking holes in their resume (e.g. the Babe never played with or against the races that dominate modern day baseball), it's best just to respect their achievements and afford them the place in history they deserve
So...The Don can't be any good bcos he didn't play an African American in baseball?

Ok. I disagree but I respect your right to say that.

the big bambino

International Captain
Average test players fared so well against Murali that he ended up with 800 test wickets @ 22!

However, the most interesting thing about Waqar was that despite the fact that he was undoubtedly better than any pace bowler that Bradman faced, he wasnt even the best in his team :laugh:
Look mate Waqar nay have destroyed NZ but he struggled against Australia. There are plenty of bowlers that DGB faced who did far better against Australia than Waqar ever did.

social

So...The Don can't be any good bcos he didn't play an African American in baseball?

Ok. I disagree but I respect your right to say that.
I assume you mean Babe Ruth

I didnt say that he could not have been any good

What I said was that it was easy to pick holes in his resume such as the fact that he never played with or against any of the races that now dominate the sport

Given that we have no idea of how he would have fared if he had, it's best just to take his record at face value

social

These are hardly insurmountable obstacles and you should acquaint yourself with some the SA sides of the 50s and fieldsmen like Davidson and Simpson. Much better than some of the slack fielding we have now.
Fielding is undeniably the one area of the game that has improved exponentially since Bradman's time and you are the first person I have heard dispute that

the big bambino

International Captain
I love the game now and its history. Someome here complained abt O'Reilly and Harvey dissing the modern generation. I agree. Its a pity then after making the complaint some indulge in a bit of modern era jingoism. Bcos there are some things said here that just aren't right.

I suspect that the deconstruction of DGB comes mainly from the sub con and for parochial reasons. Heady with their influence in the game today some Indian supporters seek to exaggerate their modern stars bcos they haven't achieved much as a team historically. So they put Sunny and Sachin ahead as greatest ever. Small problem. They have to explain away DGB's average and they come up with all kinds of non sensical qualifications like DGB didn't play in Multan and did he score a hundred against a Sri Lankan while suffering Dengue fever. As if the might of Rome is tarnished bcos they couldn't be bothered conquering the Shetlands. So with those justifications they suggest Sunny's 51 ave or SRT's 54 ave is superior to DGB's. But stripped away to its bare bones the argument is basically this: 51 and 54 are greater then 99! If you want to argue that then go ahead. But as they say in the classics, good luck with that one.

There are a few more misconceptions here. 1st that cricket wasn't professional back then. Yes it was. Particularly England and most especially Yorkshire. Neither does amatuer mean a complete novice. Back then it meant a player who didnot earn his living from cricket. Some of the best players were amatuer. Some amatuers included Jardine and Bradman. Neither were unprofessional.

I think I've effectively blown the ageism argument away with examples of modern batsmen and bowlers succeeding into their cricketing dotage. You'll note all of the players mentioned were champions. Such occurences are rare and are a commentary on the player's greatness not the ease of his opposition. I mean why are you surprised that cricketing immortals have such a long life? :)

Apparently DGB didn't face enough ATG bowlers. I've never heard of such a silly concept. ATG discussions are the preserve of nutters on cricket sites and have no meaning in the real cricket world. People like Hadlee, Dev and Walsh would have struggled to play even 10 tests in the 30s and accordingly would not have been called ATGs. Moreover the appelation is meaningless as batsmen would have found Waqar a much tougher opponent as an unknown 19 yo than later in his career when he was accorded ATG status. Bowling is either good or bad. No one cares about ATG status.

Neither was the 30s a period of flat batting piches. I adjusted a cricinfo comparison of runs per wkt by decade and the 30s came out very competitive once you removed DGB's contribution.

Then there's the belief that DGB didn't face much competition. Maybe after the war. However from 28-38 England won 13 tests to Australia's 8. Contrast that to the 1989 - 2004 period when we won 28 tests to 7. Right there that should tell you something. It tells you that Eng were more competitive despite the presence of DGB, Tiger and Grimmett. I believe that without Don we'd have struggled to win a test and would have definately lost the 36 and 38 series. Neither were SA minnows. They played the same Eng side Australia struggled against in 4 series and won 2 of them. Could you imagine an actual minnow like BD beating the modern SA in 2 series out of 4?

But now I read that DGB can't be rated bcos he didn't face the WI. Well I give up. Unlike Sunny Bradman had a pretty good reason being 30 years retired. But if you aren't convinced I have done a comparison btwn the fast bowlers DGB faced when playing Eng and compared them to the Eng teams of the 50s. The results show little difference btwn the 2 groups. However you could argue that the likes of Trueman couldn't really bowl and remain skeptical...