• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambidextrous bowling

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did not Hanif Mohammad bowl with both arms?

Though not in the same over - that is remarkable!

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Is a bowler supposed to inform the batsman if he is switching hands?

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
While not exactly bowling with both hands, a similar and hilarious tale I've heard of involves the identical Bedser twins in a charity game during WWII. Alec Bedser (a medium fast bowler) bowled the first 3 balls of the over to an ex international batsman who was getting on a bit (can't remember who off the top of my head) who hit him for three consecutive fours. Alec's identical twin brother Eric (an off spinning all rounder) was fielding at mid off and switched places with his brother without anyone noticing and bowling three dot balls to finish the over causing the batsman to coment "That guy Bedser's got a good change of pace".

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think I read or heard somewhere that Ian Harvey could bowl with almost equal facility with both hands and rejoiced in the nickname "Freak" because of this.

Although that does sound the kinda handle that might have more sordid derivations too, tbf.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Played cricket with a bloke who used to open the bowling with right arm medium pace and then come back on later to bowl left arm orthodox spin. Always found that amusing. His left arm spin was genuinely so much better than his right arm spin which he never bowled in matches and he couldn't bowl left arm pace at all.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Have known a few people who bowl with one hand and throw with the other. Could probably send down some serviceable bowling with their other hand if they wanted.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Mohammed Sanuth bowler from Kerala, India is part of the Koltata Knight Riders setup..bowls off spin and left-arm spin..so watch-out for him in IPL...

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be very interesting if at some point, we have a player who is a world class bowler, with both hands.

Chook Herron

School Boy/Girl Captain
Played cricket with a bloke who used to open the bowling with right arm medium pace and then come back on later to bowl left arm orthodox spin. Always found that amusing. His left arm spin was genuinely so much better than his right arm spin which he never bowled in matches and he couldn't bowl left arm pace at all.
Weird, I was the same except my right arm offies were my bread and butter as I was the only spinner in the side. I bowled right arm pace and left or right arm offies and took wickets bowling all forms. I couldn't bowl left arm pace, would only bat and throw right handed although I play golf and shoot left handed. I'm all over the place

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
A bloke in our side was a NSW U/17 right arm opening bowler alongside Cracker Holdsworth. He recently tore his bicep batting (continued his innings left-handed), and has been told it's probably best if he doesn't bowl any more.

Never wanting to be left out, he's spent the recovery period teaching himself to bowl left arm orthodox spin. We haven't called upon it yet, but he's probably more than handy with it. May well try his hand at the chinamen as well.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I am predominantly a right-arm leggie - or was, at least, as I can't be bothered playing any more but I have bowled a few left-arm orthodox and/or chinaman deliveries over the years, although only in casual games. I also do an outstanding Paul Adams impersonation... :cool:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's crazy.

Good find with that clip too, Migara.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A bloke in our side was a NSW U/17 right arm opening bowler alongside Cracker Holdsworth. He recently tore his bicep batting (continued his innings left-handed), and has been told it's probably best if he doesn't bowl any more.

Never wanting to be left out, he's spent the recovery period teaching himself to bowl left arm orthodox spin. We haven't called upon it yet, but he's probably more than handy with it. May well try his hand at the chinamen as well.
Who is this mystery man? I used to play against Cracker at school. Did the bloke go to East Hills as well?

stumpski

International Captain
Wasn't there a lad who did this at the U19 World Cup a few years ago? Probably disappeared from the game, as so many of them do.