• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future Tours Programme Discussion

Sarun

U19 Debutant
As I was wondering whether India-Pakistan Test Series in August 2013 would happen, it made me wonder about FTP in general.

Future Tours Programme

Seems like the coming Bangladesh tour of Sri Lanka is going pretty unnoticed.

The link shows that 2013 April & May WI-SL series but I hear it is postponed.

I did search around the Cricket Web Chat section and found no similar threads (also resulted in find a T20I in Olympic Games thread), so I'm OP'ing this.

What do you all think of FTP? Do you think it is adequate? Should it ensure more balanced schedule for teams involved? Is there a window for Domestic T20 tournaments needed (different topic but pretty much almost all countries are trying to avoid scheduling games during IPL season - which is during Indian school summer vacation moths of April & May)?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's between individual boards to organise a bilateral series. Hence why Australia and England are playing a lot of Test cricket.

Sarun

U19 Debutant
Should FTP ensure a minimum amount of series against each other for test playing nations?

Sarun

U19 Debutant
And (ODI & T20I) matches for Associate ODI level members. Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Afghanistan are all underplaying.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Should FTP ensure a minimum amount of series against each other for test playing nations?
well, I think so.

I'm also of the opinion that restricting bilateral LO series to 3 t20s, 3 ODIs only would be the best for the game.

Noone cares about meaningless t20s and ODIs.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
or even scrap t20 internationals except for world cups and ask the public to go to more domestic games...

centurymaker

International Captain
well, I think so.

I'm also of the opinion that restricting bilateral LO series to 3 t20s, 3 ODIs only would be the best for the game.

Noone cares about meaningless t20s and ODIs.
NO... you are overall in the minority. I'm sure there's a lot less viewership for tests than there is for limited overs cricket.

4 Tests, 3 ODI's and 1 T20 should be the format ideally.
nobody wants to watch one-sided thrashings...like SA v NZ (that tour should have had more ODIs and T20s as it turned out).

when a side like WI goes abroad, it should be 2 tests as it is normally, and when they play at home it should be 3 tests as is the case these days.

when India of now goes to places like Aus, SA, a test series shouldn't be more than 3 tests.

when it is NZ vs WI, have 4 Tests.

Ideally, there should be more competitive cricket.

Not-
Aus vs SL
SA vs NZ
India playing 4/5 tests Overseas
Those game are effectively over inside a day, if not in a couple of sessions..
This is not TEST cricket.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
NO... you are overall in the minority. I'm sure there's a lot less viewership for tests than there is for limited overs cricket.
Yeah I was about to qualify the statement.

People watch t20 internationals, but if they were replaced by domestic t20 competitions do you think the crowds would switch, or do you think they'd just stop watching cricket?

I think if you put more of a focus on encouraging domestic spectators it's a good thing.

People enjoyed the HRV cup this year because there was a clear format and it was part of a competition. Random t20 internationals are basically just for bragging rights - there's not enough at stake.

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
That is what FTP dictates, but boards will have to agree accordingly. When FTP was announced Ind & Pak are not on playing terms. That is why they don't have any matches between them. Apart from that general rule is that each country need to play against all other test playing countries home & away over 6-8 year period. Obviously it cannot be mandatory since there will be lot of problems planning that much ahead. But FTP give you basic idea of who will tour whom at a given point. There are going to be changes here and there but most teams do follow it to a certain extent.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England have the optimal strategy for the next few years. Play loads of series against Australia and India whilst they're rebuilding, whilst avoiding South Africa until 2015/16 when Kallis will have gone and the rest are coming towards the end. Ingenious

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That is what FTP dictates, but boards will have to agree accordingly. When FTP was announced Ind & Pak are not on playing terms. That is why they don't have any matches between them. Apart from that general rule is that each country need to play against all other test playing countries home & away over 6-8 year period. Obviously it cannot be mandatory since there will be lot of problems planning that much ahead. But FTP give you basic idea of who will tour whom at a given point. There are going to be changes here and there but most teams do follow it to a certain extent.
I'm almost certain there's been space left in the FTP should India and Pakistan ever kiss and make up.

Also, England won't play Zimbabwe on political grounds and, like India, have decided that hosting Bangladesh is pointless.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
So has Australia it unilaterally has decided never to play test cricket vs Bangladesh,vs Zimbabwe.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
when a side like WI goes abroad, it should be 2 tests as it is normally, and when they play at home it should be 3 tests as is the case these days.

when India of now goes to places like Aus, SA, a test series shouldn't be more than 3 tests.

when it is NZ vs WI, have 4 Tests.
Although I disagree with some of your post, I think this is right. I believe the ICC should mandate a minimum number of tests between two teams based on how competitive they expect the series to be. The most obvious way to estimate competitiveness would be to use the existing test ranking points system - I know it isn't perfect but I think it's a reasonable guide to how competitive each team is. So based on this you could say:

If team A has 90 points and is playing at home against team B

- If team B has 130+ points then 2 tests minimum
- If team B has 110-130 points then 3 tests minimum
- If team B has 80-110 points then 4 tests minimum (numbers are lopsided i.e. play more tests against better teams at home but not away)
- If team B has 60-80 points then 3 tests minimum
- If team B has 60 points or fewer then 2 tests minimum

Adjust the numbers as necessary though those look about right to me.

You'd have to take the points at a time something like 6 months before the series to allow for scheduling.

The teams that should benefit from this would be lower ranked teams like NZ, SL, Windies and even Bangladesh, which otherwise do not play enough tests and whose capabilities are slipping away to a worrying level.

Last edited:

Sarun

U19 Debutant
What I meant was more like: Should FTP ensure that teams play against each other aka penalize teams for not playing certain series? Or is the current setup satisfactory? Should it be more methodized? Like Ashes, and India-SA tour every 2 years or so. Would that be good. Perhaps a regular India-Pakistan test series.