• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** West Indies in Australia 2012/13

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If i'd have commented straight after the game with my emotions all over the place i probably would have been banned again, so i decided to cool down before posting!! :laugh: , but really what can i say? it was embarrassing watching that, it really was and it just makes you feel like you're playing a different game to the opposition, might aswell comment on the team,

Gayle= has been crap for us since the last test vs NZ, just looks a shadow of his confident, former self and will need to get his house in order QUICKLY, otherwise i can see him getting dropped again, i know the pitch was a nightmare, but his overall form of late has just been ridiculous.

Powell= saw some really good things from the lad, looked confident and played some good shots, think he will come good as the series goes on.

Sarwan= the man looks like a walking wicket right now and it's a shame to see, i thought his stint in county cricket would have helped him but clearly not, he's on last chance saloon right now, so it's up to him.

Darren Bravo= showed fight and he's another one i think will get better the more he plays on these pitches.

Dwayne Bravo= his bowling has regressed lately so he better hope his batting gets into shape quickly otherwise it won't just be the test side he gets dropped from,

Pollard= i'd seriously think about dropping him, brilliant fielder but he just doesn't cut it at this level.

Thomas= complete waste of space and why Ramdin isn't playing instead is a mystery to me, especially as he's hit a few tons for the test side lately,

Sammy= his decision to bat first just personifies his stupidity and i believe he might be badly exposed on this tour,

Narine= think he's gonna be key for us, was tough facing Maxwell who was just hitting everything blindly without a care in the world and no pressure on him, but he still should have had a wicket, he done Khawaja like a kipper and somehow Thomas dropped it,

Roach= a game to forget for young Kemar but he'll be back, he didn't take a 10fer against Australia last year by having no ability.

Holder= i thought Jason was class tbh, he was calm when he batted and his bowling was very impressive, as he goes forward his lines will get better and more consistent too imo, i see him being the man who will eventually get Sammy out of our test side.

All in all it was a desperate day, and leaves more questions than answeres, the pitch to me was not really a good odi track because the side who bats first have about an 85% chance of losing, and of course the home side know the conditions better so an away team is always gonna be up against it,

We have been here before though, infact in the recent t20 world cup we were embrassed by Sri-lanka TWICE, first in a warm up match where we lost by around 10 wickets and then in the group stage, but by the time we hit are straps and got used to the conditions we never looked back, so i'm hoping by the 3rd ODI we'll get into the series and put up a fight,

This is without doubt our weakest format now, and something needs to be done to address it, we can't rely on our t20 stars all the time and there needs to be a balance, for the next game i'd probably drop Pollard for Deonarine, which gives us more depth in the batting and another spin option.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think you're overreacting a touch, but quite a bit of what you're posting is spot on IMO.

Gayle's going through a rough patch, but given how devastating he can be (and the opening alternatives), you've gotta stick with him IMO.

Sarwan did well in the PMXI game, and I think he's the sort of guy whose technique makes him look absolutely rubbish no matter how good the ball that gets him out it. A 145km/h inswinging yorker is tough for anyone, let alone when starting.

In almost any other country, Pollard would be a useful 7. But the West Indies don't have a strong enough top order to justify him when he's more likely to come in at 4/20 or 4/50 than 4/180. In the last 10 overs, as a finisher, he's devastating - but he doesn't have the ability to bat for the longer periods.

I agree with you on the bowling. Holder was pretty impressive on debut. Needs to get his line sorted, but apart from that he'll be making batsmen very uncomfortable from that height.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'd be nice to actually make it home from work this summer before a day/night cricket match finishes. Especially given I finish work at 3:20.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I think you're overreacting a touch, but quite a bit of what you're posting is spot on IMO.

Gayle's going through a rough patch, but given how devastating he can be (and the opening alternatives), you've gotta stick with him IMO.

Sarwan did well in the PMXI game, and I think he's the sort of guy whose technique makes him look absolutely rubbish no matter how good the ball that gets him out it. A 145km/h inswinging yorker is tough for anyone, let alone when starting.

In almost any other country, Pollard would be a useful 7. But the West Indies don't have a strong enough top order to justify him when he's more likely to come in at 4/20 or 4/50 than 4/180. In the last 10 overs, as a finisher, he's devastating - but he doesn't have the ability to bat for the longer periods.

I agree with you on the bowling. Holder was pretty impressive on debut. Needs to get his line sorted, but apart from that he'll be making batsmen very uncomfortable from that height.
If Gayle was actually getting us a 40 every now and then i could accept it, but lately he's like a walking wicket, he could barely even get a score over 30 against Bangladesh when we played them in november ffs!! :blink: , and that poor form continued in the big bash aswell, as for Sars, well he looked like a joke in our recent Caribbean t20 competition, didn't make an impact at all, thought the knock in the warm up match would have boosted his confidence but it never happened, he was apprehensive out there, and i'd expect a little better from a senior batsman,

Kraigg Brathwaite is waiting in the wings to take Gayle's test spot if he doesn't sort his form out in this tour, and of course Samuels will be back soon so Sars probably won't be needed if he fails in this tour anyway.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The ball that got Sarwan wasn't a yorker, it was an inswinging half-volley.

Someone like Kallis would've driven it straight down the ground for 4.

I'm not saying it's a bad delivery because it's good to pitch it full and it did swing nicely, but that was a bit poor from someone of Sarwan's calibre.

Mike5181

International Captain
Holder= i thought Jason was class tbh, he was calm when he batted and his bowling was very impressive, as he goes forward his lines will get better and more consistent too imo, i see him being the man who will eventually get Sammy out of our test side.
I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more of Holder actually. There's definitely talent there.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
One could always do better, but you're being overly pedantic if you're not going to allow people to speak in relative terms.

Context:
I was disagreeing with this statement.

There a times when you can write a dismissal off by saying "he just got a great ball". IMO, Sarwan's (and Kallis') dismissal is not an example of this.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You described it as a half volley ffs. You seriously can't do more than induce a batsman in to a drive and swing it in enough to beat the bat. Legitimately can't do more.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You described it as a half volley ffs. You seriously can't do more than induce a batsman in to a drive and swing it in enough to beat the bat. Legitimately can't do more.
I specifically stated that I didn't think it was a bad delivery.

A bowler luring a batsman into a drive is not a good enough excuse that the batsman can turn around and say "I just got a good ball".

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jason Holder any relation to Vanburn, who I think was a Bajun too?

Tall boy, anyway. Nice, upright action too.