• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Outswing vs Inswing

MrPrez

International Debutant
Which do/would you prefer bowling; which do you prefer facing; which is more effective in getting wickets.

Just generally discuss the merits of the two arts. I personally prefer bowling outswing as it seems more likely to snag a wicket, but I'd also rather face it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Which do/would you prefer bowling; which do you prefer facing; which is more effective in getting wickets.

Just generally discuss the merits of the two arts. I personally prefer bowling outswing as it seems more likely to snag a wicket, but I'd also rather face it.
Slower pace, I'd rather face inswing. If it's lightening fast, then I'd prefer outswing

Himannv

International Coach
I prefer bowling inswing (to a right hander) largely because it comes more naturally to me than outswing. While I'm batting I'd probably go along with Migara's preference.

Kirkut

International Regular
Depends on the bowler's height.

Usually the short height bowlers are the ones who bowl outswing as their wicket taking deliveries. Examples are Dale Steyn, Malcolm Marshall and Fred Trueman.

The tall blokes are the ones who bowl inswing deliveries for wickets, I don't know the reason but that seems to be the trend. I've seen a lot of Curtly Ambrose spells and he never really bowled and outswinger or a leg cutter. Examples here would be, Glenn Mcgrath, Imran Khan, Ambrose and Walsh.

Either way, both outswing and inswing are tough to face when the ball is bowled by world class bowlers I mentioned above.

shankar

International Debutant
Against quality batsmen with a good defence in no hurry to score, I think outswing is significantly more potent. You can get wickets bowling outswingers alone and just varying the length and line. If you're an inswing bowler you need some additional weapon like a leg-cutter.

Kirkut

International Regular

I'd recommend you to trust your natural abilities, and enjoy your bowling. If you like bowling outswing, bowl it and do it at a lively pace with good rhythm.:)

Fast bowlers today clutter their minds too much on their bowling styles. They're WAY too worried on what the speed gun says rather than their bowling rhythm.

The reason why 80's fast bowlers were the best because they trusted their natural abilities and focused on bowling at a great rhythm without being over coached.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've been playing against a two piece ball and both are equally difficult to bat against.

Against a 4 piece - inswing is easier to stay against but harder to score against because you don't know how much it is going to swing.

Midwinter

State Captain
Outswing

When bowling there are more oppotrunities to take a wicket
When batting inswing is easier to cope with because you can try and shuffle it away on the leg side somehow and most umpires will say it is going down leg if you miss it,

Wnen watching, Remember seeing Ken McCleay of WA hooping the ball miles, it was amazing.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Awta.

Inswing for the most part ends up being worked to leg by good top order batsmen, though bowling great out swingers to most tailenders is just a waste of a good delivery because for the most part they are not good enough to get a touch.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Awta.

Inswing for the most part ends up being worked to leg by good top order batsmen, though bowling great inswingers to most tailenders is just a waste of a good delivery because for the most part they are not good enough to get a touch.
so shouldn't that get a bowled or LBW?

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
inswing or out, top order or tail-enders pitching the ball at the right length is very imp....short, too wide, or over-pitched swingers won't buy bowler the wicket..