Thread: Gooch steps down from ODI role

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar

Gooch steps down from ODI role

So Gooch has stepped down from his role of batting coach for ODI's and T20 and Graham Thorpe has taken over. Gooch and Flower for tests and Giles and Thorpe for ODI's. Was always just a matter of time before Thorpe stepped up as he is highly rated as a coach. Is this an early indication of the regime we may see after the next world cup when I think Flower will step aside or will other teams do the same and have split coaching roles for the different formats?

What sense would it make for Flower to stand down after the World Cup? He's not the ODI coach anymore so it doesn't seem like a particularly relevant time to step down.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Yeah, the end of the twin Ashes would be the obvious "end of an era" moment, were Flower to go.

I can't see it tho; Giles has been appointed at least partly to lengthen Flower's tenure. Young family and all that.

AFAIK Flower is settled in England (British subject now and all), so can't see him uprooting his family to move abroad so if he does go it'd be to a county, IMHO. At least until his kids are older.

As for Thorpe; I think it's a great appointment. Was palpably England's best batsman for a good decade and probably the best English player of spin I've ever seen.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Was just saying after the world cup as it gives Giles/Thorpe a decent run in the job and if they make a hash of it they wouldn't get the full gig anyway. Lots of teams cycles seem to revolve around world cups these days anyway be it players or coaches.

Will be great to see Thorpe working with the full squad, he and Root obviously have a lot of respect for each other.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    wrt Gooch......good riddance
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    As for Thorpe; I think it's a great appointment. Was palpably England's best batsman for a good decade and probably the best English player of spin I've ever seen.
    Do you think he's been brought in to focus on playing spin? If so it seems rather a case of the horse having bolted. We've just spent the last two winters touring Asia and won't be going back there for some time, almost certainly not before what should be a very spin-unfriendly World Cup.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    good nsw boi
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Do you think he's been brought in to focus on playing spin? If so it seems rather a case of the horse having bolted. We've just spent the last two winters touring Asia and won't be going back there for some time, almost certainly not before what should be a very spin-unfriendly World Cup.
    Well TBF apart from Ajmal, we don't play it terribly in Tests. In ODIs we need masses of improvement though.

Gooch used to just thump spinners, all very good if you had his eye and power, but Thorpey used to just find ways to keep the scoreboard ticking over, which is what we desparatly need IMHO.
    Last edited by grecian; 27-01-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

It's all been in India though, hasn't it? Over the last two summers, Robin Peterson is the only spin bowler who's taken wickets and kept the runs down. Randiv, Ashwin and Mendis all went for well over 5 an over, Jadeja who's caused all the problems this series went for nearly seven an over, and Doherty and Narine made no impact at all.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    It's all been in India though, hasn't it? Over the last two summers, Robin Peterson is the only spin bowler who's taken wickets and kept the runs down. Randiv, Ashwin and Mendis all went for well over 5 an over, Jadeja who's caused all the problems this series went for nearly seven an over, and Doherty and Narine made no impact at all.
    Yeah, fair enough, I guess it looks a bit pointless with the CT coming up. Yet in the end, it's all down to who Gilo wants to work with, so clearly that's Thorpe.

Flower must have known Gooch from his Essex time, and Clearly Giles know's Thorpey.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Not necessarily, Thorpey was an adept at playing pace as he was spin. It's just that an Englishman being competant at playing the latter is more remarkable.

It's definitely an area we can improve on as a collective tho, regardless of where the CT is being played.

Nah, a few English batsmen aren't brilliant at just keeping the scoreboard ticking against spin. That needs improved regardless of where the next World Cup is.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Spin will always have a big role in ODIs anywhere in the world as well, so I don't think it is the case of a bolting horse. There are plenty of run rate choker spinners in the ODI sides of nations without a muderous test spinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Thread Information