• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gooch steps down from ODI role

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So Gooch has stepped down from his role of batting coach for ODI's and T20 and Graham Thorpe has taken over. Gooch and Flower for tests and Giles and Thorpe for ODI's. Was always just a matter of time before Thorpe stepped up as he is highly rated as a coach. Is this an early indication of the regime we may see after the next world cup when I think Flower will step aside or will other teams do the same and have split coaching roles for the different formats?

Andre

International Regular
What sense would it make for Flower to stand down after the World Cup? He's not the ODI coach anymore so it doesn't seem like a particularly relevant time to step down.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, the end of the twin Ashes would be the obvious "end of an era" moment, were Flower to go.

I can't see it tho; Giles has been appointed at least partly to lengthen Flower's tenure. Young family and all that.

AFAIK Flower is settled in England (British subject now and all), so can't see him uprooting his family to move abroad so if he does go it'd be to a county, IMHO. At least until his kids are older.

As for Thorpe; I think it's a great appointment. Was palpably England's best batsman for a good decade and probably the best English player of spin I've ever seen.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was just saying after the world cup as it gives Giles/Thorpe a decent run in the job and if they make a hash of it they wouldn't get the full gig anyway. Lots of teams cycles seem to revolve around world cups these days anyway be it players or coaches.

Will be great to see Thorpe working with the full squad, he and Root obviously have a lot of respect for each other.

Howe_zat

Audio File
As for Thorpe; I think it's a great appointment. Was palpably England's best batsman for a good decade and probably the best English player of spin I've ever seen.
Do you think he's been brought in to focus on playing spin? If so it seems rather a case of the horse having bolted. We've just spent the last two winters touring Asia and won't be going back there for some time, almost certainly not before what should be a very spin-unfriendly World Cup.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you think he's been brought in to focus on playing spin? If so it seems rather a case of the horse having bolted. We've just spent the last two winters touring Asia and won't be going back there for some time, almost certainly not before what should be a very spin-unfriendly World Cup.
Well TBF apart from Ajmal, we don't play it terribly in Tests. In ODIs we need masses of improvement though.

Gooch used to just thump spinners, all very good if you had his eye and power, but Thorpey used to just find ways to keep the scoreboard ticking over, which is what we desparatly need IMHO.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's all been in India though, hasn't it? Over the last two summers, Robin Peterson is the only spin bowler who's taken wickets and kept the runs down. Randiv, Ashwin and Mendis all went for well over 5 an over, Jadeja who's caused all the problems this series went for nearly seven an over, and Doherty and Narine made no impact at all.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's all been in India though, hasn't it? Over the last two summers, Robin Peterson is the only spin bowler who's taken wickets and kept the runs down. Randiv, Ashwin and Mendis all went for well over 5 an over, Jadeja who's caused all the problems this series went for nearly seven an over, and Doherty and Narine made no impact at all.
Yeah, fair enough, I guess it looks a bit pointless with the CT coming up. Yet in the end, it's all down to who Gilo wants to work with, so clearly that's Thorpe.

Flower must have known Gooch from his Essex time, and Clearly Giles know's Thorpey.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not necessarily, Thorpey was an adept at playing pace as he was spin. It's just that an Englishman being competant at playing the latter is more remarkable.

It's definitely an area we can improve on as a collective tho, regardless of where the CT is being played.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, a few English batsmen aren't brilliant at just keeping the scoreboard ticking against spin. That needs improved regardless of where the next World Cup is.

Flem274*

123/5
Spin will always have a big role in ODIs anywhere in the world as well, so I don't think it is the case of a bolting horse. There are plenty of run rate choker spinners in the ODI sides of nations without a muderous test spinner.