• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many sons of famous cricketers have gone on to be stars?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
On our side of the pond there's a little bit of excitement brewing as our four day competition approaches, Guyana named their squad and there's a new name in the frame, a young lad by the name of "Tagenarine Chanderpaul", that second name sounds familiar right? :D well thats because Tagnarine is the 16 year old son of one Shiv Chanderpaul, the lad has apparently been in brilliant form in the local club cricket and continued to score big runs in the regional trials, naturally he's attracting attention as he's not only Shiv's son but not many 16 year olds have played in our domestic competitions in recent times either, the last one was Kraigg Brathwaite four years ago,

So the question is how many lads who have had famous fathers in the game have gone on to be stars in their own right? i know Broad has done very well, i can't think of many others though, it's gonna be interesting to see how this lad handles it, especially when they eventually bat together for Guyana, i wouldn't be surprised if his old man runs him out!! :laugh: .

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happens fairly frequently in NZ.

Sir Richard Hadlee (and Dayle and Barry Hadlee) - sons of previous NZ captain Walter Hadlee.

Doug Bracewell is the son of former NZ cricketer Brendan Bracewell.

Tom Latham is son of former NZ cricketer Rod Latham.

Then Hamish Rutherford (son of former NZ cricketer Ken) and Michael Bracewell (son of Mark - who didn't play for NZ) are both playing for Otago at the moment.

Then Jonny Bairstow in the England team is son of former England keeper David Bairstow.

The Hadlees are probably the "best" example with both Richard and Walter being NZ legends.

EDIT: And of course Geoff Marsh (Australia) is dad of both Shaun and Mitchell Marsh who could both go on to earn a decent number of Australian caps.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Denis and Nick Compton (one generation removed)
Chris and Stuart Broad
Lance and Chris Cairns
Everton Weekes and David Murray
Peter and Shaun Pollock

Craig and Alister McDermott
Colin and Chris Cowdrey
Joe Hardstaff Sr. and Jr.
Micky and Alec Stewart
Fred and Maurice Tate
Ernest Tyldesley and Michael Vaughan (two generations between)
Lala and Mohinder Amarnath
Dave and Dudley Nourse
Malcolm and Kyle Jarvis

Some pretty impressive combinations there.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kepler Wessels' kid isn't half bad, might even get a gig for England some day

the big bambino

International Captain
Hugh and Jack Massie. Father Hugh played in THE Ashes test and made an important 55. Jack was a tall left arm fast medium bowler for whom great things were tipped until he suffered wounds in the great war.

A 2 game leg spinner similarly had his career curtailed by the second war though Woodrow had every reason to be proud of his son Mike Proctor.

Pakistan had Miandad proving that great batsmen are lame comedians.

Zinzan

I'm pretty sure Chris and Lance Cairns hold the record for the shortest time between test for a father/son combo of just 3 years, with Lance playing his last in Perth in 1986 and Chris his first on the same ground in 1989. If this Chanderpaul kid is any good, they might might steal that record.

the big bambino

International Captain
For tests thats close but fc cricket has examples of fathers and sons playing in the same team. In 1922 father and son Willie and Bernie Quaife played against father and son Billy and Bobby Bestwick. True story.

Burgey

For tests thats close but fc cricket has examples of fathers and sons playing in the same team. In 1922 father and son Willie and Bernie Quaife played against father and son Billy and Bobby Bestwick. True story.
God, I read that as "Queef" for a moment there.

the big bambino

International Captain
I saw it as quiff at first. I bet they got plenty of that in their careers. Most likely as a nick name though. Both were shortys.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Special shout to the Headleys: grandpa George, papa Ron & sonny-boy Dean who (I think) are (so far) the only family to have three generations of direct descendents to play test cricket.

The Huttons (Sir Leonard, Richard & Ben) came close, but the latter never made it to international honours and retired (prematurely, IMHO) a few years back.

Other father/sons from top of my head:

Jeff & Simon Jones
Arnie & Ryan Sidebottom
Jim Parks sr & jr
David & Graham Lloyd (think the latter played ODIs for England)
Alan & Mark Ealham (Ealham pere never made international honours tho, I believe)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh, and the Cowdreys.

Colin and Chris obviously both played for England.

Colin's dad played First Class too and I think Chris' son has a chance of playing for Kent too.