• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most runs off 1 over in test cricket

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jagaways said:
75* (0444664614106666600401)

LK Germon and RM Ford off RH Vance
Canterbury v Wellington Christchurch 1989-90
(77 runs to the total as 2 no-balls not scored off)

ROFLMAO! hhehehehehehhe. watta over!!!!!!
Those were in the days of contrived results, as such those types of overs should be struck from the 'official' records.

Funnily enough, the Clive Inman 34 off Norman Hill was a similar situation, although that was just 6 donkey-drops. Inman scored a half-century in 9 minutes and at one time both were classified as 'records'

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Wisden they list the ones most people considered "normal" circumstances, then say "the following are excluded from the list because of bowlers' compliance".
This is the best way for me. Certainly the two cannot be considered equal, but the matches were official matches and hence they can't be written-off completely.
And "the days" of contrived results? Still with us, I thought...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
And "the days" of contrived results? Still with us, I thought...
Not quite so blatant - there's a difference between a sporting declaration and bowling donkey drops - and even that's a far cry from deliberate wides, deliberate no-balls etc.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
I'm sure I remember Knight and Ostler gifting some county 66 in 4 overs last season.
You do - it's just not as frequent as the 1960's.

Still, I suppose that summers are drier nowadays - and we have 4-day games and not 3 (although it's 105 overs a day instead of 120)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
120 overs a day... ah, what riches. I assume there were a few more overs bowled by spinners in the days of uncovered wickets, but still, seamers must have got on with the job a lot quicker.
You are right about it being drier nowadays - the 1960s was the worst decade on record weather-wise, the 1990s the best. Summers ain't what they used to be, I couldn't agree more. They're better. Though they did say that 1911 was a fine year, finer even than the great 2003...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
1998 - hottest on record.
2001 - next hottest
2003 - next hottest.

It's getting colder - ice age in 5....4....3....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if you believe all the global warming scaremongers the Earth will soon be hotter than it ever was...
I never knew 1998 was that hot (is this a Worldwide figure?). I always thought the hottest year on record was 1976, driest 1911, sunniest 1989. 1998 was pretty poor as Britain in the 1990s went, I'm sure.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
1976 & 1995 weren't they?

Research time soon...

As for Global Warming, it's pretty undeniable that global temperatures are going up at a worrying rate and there is going to be a lot of knock on effects in the next century.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
1976 & 1995 weren't they?

Research time soon...

As for Global Warming, it's pretty undeniable that global temperatures are going up at a worrying rate and there is going to be a lot of knock on effects in the next century.
I certainly don't deny it.
1976 was certainly the hottest in Britain, 1995 second IIRR, and 1989 third.
As I say, 1989 was the sunniest and 1911 the driest, with 1976 and 1995 second and third IIRR.