• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quickie Draft Thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stealing this off CricSim (not sure if there's been one in the past on CW). Just a thread for when you're bored and want to have a quick 2 or 3 way draft on anything cricket.

Just had a post WWII - 1970 one with Jager, ended up with this

Jager

1. Bob Simpson
2. Geoff Boycott
3. Neil Harvey
4. Garfield Sobers
5. Sir Clyde Walcott
6. Denis Compton
7. Alan Knott+
8. Mike Procter
9. Richie Benaud*
10. Alan Davidson
11. Ray Lindwall

Daemon

1. Hanif Mohammad
2. Bill Lawry
3. Sir Everton Weekes
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Keith Miller
6. Clive Lloyd*
7. Farokh Engineer +
8. Alec Bedser
9. Jim Laker
10. Fred Trueman
11. Fazal Mahmood

Any glaring omissions you blokes can spot? Don't be too harsh on me, I'm not too good with old timey cricket :p

Daemon

Thought about him, but remember people abusing the **** on CW so decided to give him a miss.

watson

Banned
No 'glaring omissions' in that both teams are very strong.

As well as the forementioned Barrington I assume you also considered;

Arthur Morris
Conrad Hunte
Peter May
Greg Chappell (debuted Dec 11, 1970)
Rohan Kanhai
Wes Hall
Neil Adcock
John Snow
John Waite
Denis Lindsay

But of themselves I don't think that any of those players would add a great deal to either team - "swings and round-a-bouts".

Last edited:

Daemon

Debuts in 1970 weren't allowed. Chappell and Barry Richards would've been in our XIs for sure if they were:p

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Actually, about the only thing I could say is that Jager's team bats all the way down to No.11 as even Lindwall has a Test match century. Plus Procter and Lindwall are faster than Trueman and Miller, so the attack has a bit more fire-power.

But's that's just being nit-picky I think.

Daemon

Yeah, his batting depth is definitely much superior, that's not being nit picky at all. Jager brought up Frank Worrell over Clive Lloyd. Thoughts?

Daemon

Typical, attempting to extend my friendship and merge the two countries and you reject me :ph34r:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Daemon how bout a Test draft between you and I. Must pick Cricketers who share the name of a Simpsons Character.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, his batting depth is definitely much superior, that's not being nit picky at all. Jager brought up Frank Worrell over Clive Lloyd. Thoughts?
Sir Frank Worrell is, to me at least, the most influential cricketer post-Bradman. Gun batsman, good bowler, fantastic in the field and the one of the best leaders of men cricket has ever seen.

I'd take him over Lloyd every day of the week.

Jager

International Debutant
Would probably use this lineup

1. Bob Simpson
2. Geoff Boycott
3. Neil Harvey
4. Peter May
5. Garfield Sobers
6. Clyde Walcott
7. Alan Knott+
8. Mike Procter
9. Richie Benaud*