• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viv Richards gentlemanly conduct

Assorted

Cricket Spectator
Can someone help me please? I've been wracking my brains, but I can't for the life of me remember the game, what year or even who was playing when Viv Richards performed the most sportsmanlike act I have ever seen in international sport. I am talking about when, in a ODI series held in Australia, Viv was bowling and there was a mix up somehow when the batsman was out of crease and Viv had right to clip stumps and run him out. Instead, he waved the batsman back with no move toward the stumps, which the batsman took for a jest but Viv continued the few paces back to begin his spin bowling run up instead.

I can't for the life of me remember which team the West Indies were playing, something tells me it was Australia. And I can only remember that it was in the last couple of seasons of Viv Richards' international career.

If anyone remembers this, please let me know because my stepson just won't believe me lol and I would love to know what to look up just to see it again.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I remember this, Viv was captain im sure, might have been 88/89 vs Pakistan, in Australia.

robelinda

Ok, from memory it doesnt show on any highlights package for the match, only live telecast, im not sure i still have the ball by ball but i'll find out first which match it was, it might have been 1984/85 but i'll find out.

Debris

International 12th Man
I don't know about that but Viv Richards was captain for the most unsportman-like action I can remember from the West Indies.

Dean Jones, 1990-91, West Indies v Australia, 2nd Test, Guyana
The "run out" of Dean Jones was a cruel blow to Australia who faced a deficit of 221 runs. Jones was bowled by Courtney Walsh off a no-ball and, with the batsman unaware of the umpire's call, trudged back to the pavilion. Carl Hooper bounded in from slip, picked up the ball and threw down the middle stump and was promptly joined by all his team-mates who appealed for the run out. Despite his batting partner, Allan Border, trying to warn him of the impending danger, Jones couldn't get his bat down quick enough - and the square-leg umpire, Cumberbatch, gave him out.

Source

The umpires actually made an error here as well. You can't run out a batsman who is under the belief that he is out.

robelinda

I don't know about that but Viv Richards was captain for the most unsportman-like action I can remember from the West Indies.

The "run out" of Dean Jones was a cruel blow to Australia who faced a deficit of 221 runs. Jones was bowled by Courtney Walsh off a no-ball and, with the batsman unaware of the umpire's call, trudged back to the pavilion. Carl Hooper bounded in from slip, picked up the ball and threw down the middle stump and was promptly joined by all his team-mates who appealed for the run out. Despite his batting partner, Allan Border, trying to warn him of the impending danger, Jones couldn't get his bat down quick enough - and the square-leg umpire, Cumberbatch, gave him out.

Source

The umpires actually made an error here as well. You can't run out a batsman who is under the belief that he is out.

WORST CHEATING UMPIRES ON THE PLANET - PATHETIC DISPLAY FROM WEST INDIES - YouTube

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Source

It was worse than that; the Aussie staff explained this to Cumberbatch and said he should be re-instated but he claimed he thought Jones was taking a run so they had no recourse, even if Viv agreed to it.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Are you sure it's not this one from 1987, where Viv Richards was captain and Courtney Walsh refused to run out the Pakistan non-striker?

Great World Cup Moments: Courtney Walsh refuses to run out Saleem Jaffar | Timeline | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo
I remember watching this live. Incredible on Walsh's part to do that. I'm actually in the minority that think if the runner is out of the crease then it's perfectly within the bowler's right to run him out. Anyway, as the article rightly points out, most people (including me) remember this act more than the match itself.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
If i am not wrong Walsh was presented with a Gold chain for his great act by PCB..btw Viv and gentlemanly?..he was an arrogant d***..yes a great great batsman

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There was also the time when Richards intimidated Lloyd Barker with his little war dance into giving Rob Bailey out, wac

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As a young bloke Viv was suspended from FC cricket after refusing to walk and protestnf in an inter island game following a first ball duck. It sparked a riot, with the crowd saying "No Viv, no game". He got recalled so the game could go on, but get this, he got out for nought anyway.

He also got a duck in the second innings. Three ducks in or game! And a suspension. I think he missed nearly a year.

Debris

International 12th Man
I remember watching this live. Incredible on Walsh's part to do that. I'm actually in the minority that think if the runner is out of the crease then it's perfectly within the bowler's right to run him out. Anyway, as the article rightly points out, most people (including me) remember this act more than the match itself.
I thought it was a generally accepted convention at the time that you did not mankad someone, at least without warning them first. Aren't there literally dozens of examples of this type of thing from back then?

No longer possible to run someone out like this, of course.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was also the time when Richards intimidated Lloyd Barker with his little war dance into giving Rob Bailey out, wac
Aye. I remember reading his autobiography where he blandished on about how 'I've made my mistakes' but naturally the Bailey incident didn't turn out to be one of them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I thought it was a generally accepted convention at the time that you did not mankad someone, at least without warning them first. Aren't there literally dozens of examples of this type of thing from back then?

No longer possible to run someone out like this, of course.
Yes, you can now.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't you have to be in your delivery stride before you can run someone out now? Maybe I should have said it is more difficult to do.
About a year ago they changed the rule back towards the more traditional interpretation of the law.

Incident in County Cricket this year where a batsman was mankaded.