• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic matches absolutely ruined by DRS had it been around

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was watching some highlights recently and thought this would be fun.

Aus vs SA, Edgbaston, 1999 WC

Warne on fire, has clean-bowled Gibbs and Kirsten after a great start by the Saffers. Cronje nicks out to slip and is given but wait, he's referred it and the 'catch' is found to have gone off his foot. The decision is reversed and I reckon South Africa would have won.

Aus vs WI, 4th Test, Adelaide, 1993

I bet everyone here old enough to remember the game thinks of the McDermott dismissal for this one. Well you'd be wrong because if DRS was around at the time, it would never have gotten that far; Billy was nailed on the back-foot by Walsh early in his innings and inexplicably given not. Terrible decision but had it been correctly given, WI would have won by 30-odd runs from memory.

Aus vs Eng, 2nd Test, Edgbaston (again), 2005

A 2-run loss would have been about a 60-run loss if Kasper had been correctly given leg-before early in his knock.

Your turn.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf, England benefited from umpiring mistakes at Edgbaston too. No one really knows how that game would have gone with DRS in place.

Burgey

Exactly. Simon Jones nailed on the back pad in front of middle early in an important partnership with Flintoff in the soap dodgers' second dig.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
And of course, one could argue that the invention of DRS has created some closer matches as well, because at times a wrong decision would have left a game one sided, while a successful review left it in the balance. And the same applies in the past too. A couple of wrong decisions could have turned a potentially great game into a one sided drubbing.

Burgey

I also seem to recall that in the famous Kolkata test in 2001 when India followed on and won, there was a very good lbw shout against Dravid quite early on day four which was palpably out.In the 1993 Adelaide Test, I think Haynes or Richardson were out early but not given.

Basically, any close match Australia lost before DRS would have gone the other way had there been DRS.

We were robbed for decades.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Was watching some highlights recently and thought this would be fun.

Aus vs SA, Edgbaston, 1999 WC

Warne on fire, has clean-bowled Gibbs and Kirsten after a great start by the Saffers. Cronje nicks out to slip and is given but wait, he's referred it and the 'catch' is found to have gone off his foot. The decision is reversed and I reckon South Africa would have won.

Aus vs WI, 4th Test, Adelaide, 1993

I bet everyone here old enough to remember the game thinks of the McDermott dismissal for this one. Well you'd be wrong because if DRS was around at the time, it would never have gotten that far; Billy was nailed on the back-foot by Walsh early in his innings and inexplicably given not. Terrible decision but had it been correctly given, WI would have won by 30-odd runs from memory.

Aus vs Eng, 2nd Test, Edgbaston (again), 2005

A 2-run loss would have been about a 60-run loss if Kasper had been correctly given leg-before early in his knock.

Your turn.

What's to say that any of these still wouldn't have been classic matches?

What's to say that a batsman who referred a decision wouldn't have been out the next ball?

Cricket produces great contests because the competition is great, not because incorrect decisions allow for them.

Burgey

What's to say it's not a hypothetical, light hearted discussion that we probably shouldn't get so serious about?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Two big ones for mine. Firstly, the last day of Adelaide in the 06/07 Ashes; Strauss given out early in the day off a clearly not out bat-pad to Warne, who then built up a head of steam and saw England bowled out.

Also there's Justin Langer's famous not out caught behind decision against Pakistan in Hobart where he and Gilchrist won the game for the Aussies. As he himself said, he absolutely smashed it.

Daemon

Sydney '08 obv, we would have won easily.

That Test we won by 1 wicket against Australia in Mohali would've probably gone Australia's way as well. Ojha was plumb iirc. But then again Ishant was clearly not out as well so it sort of balanced out.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
91/92 World Cup match between NZ and Australia would have been ruined by DRS because Dean Jones wouldn't have been run out. He probably deserved to be out though. Good intent shown by the umpires there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
91/92 World Cup match between NZ and Australia would have been ruined by DRS because Dean Jones wouldn't have been run out. He probably deserved to be out though. Good intent shown by the umpires there.
They earned the right to be aggressive.