Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44

Thread: Classic matches absolutely ruined by DRS had it been around

  1. #16
    International Captain hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,718
    Hobart would have been a much less exciting test had DRS not been present.

  2. #17
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    23,856
    Two big ones for mine. Firstly, the last day of Adelaide in the 06/07 Ashes; Strauss given out early in the day off a clearly not out bat-pad to Warne, who then built up a head of steam and saw England bowled out.

    Also there's Justin Langer's famous not out caught behind decision against Pakistan in Hobart where he and Gilchrist won the game for the Aussies. As he himself said, he absolutely smashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  3. #18
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,701
    Sydney '08 obv, we would have won easily.

    That Test we won by 1 wicket against Australia in Mohali would've probably gone Australia's way as well. Ojha was plumb iirc. But then again Ishant was clearly not out as well so it sort of balanced out.

  4. #19
    International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    l
    Posts
    6,220
    91/92 World Cup match between NZ and Australia would have been ruined by DRS because Dean Jones wouldn't have been run out. He probably deserved to be out though. Good intent shown by the umpires there.


  5. #20
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,647
    Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    91/92 World Cup match between NZ and Australia would have been ruined by DRS because Dean Jones wouldn't have been run out. He probably deserved to be out though. Good intent shown by the umpires there.
    They earned the right to be aggressive.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  6. #21
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,082

  7. #22
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,557
    Actually, the underarm ODI could have been completely different with DRS because Greg Chappell, who made 90, was caught in the deep by Martin Snedden when he was on about 50, but neither umpire saw it because both were looking at the creases to check for a short run at the very moment the catch was taken.

    Earlier in the day Greg Chappell, when 52, had refused to walk when Snedden, at deep midwicket, claimed what appeared to be a low but fair catch off Cairns; as neither umpire was watching the incident - they said they were looking for short runs - New Zealand's impassioned appeals for a catch were in vain.

    From Cricinfo's report of the game.
    Last edited by Burgey; 16-01-2013 at 10:28 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  8. #23
    School Boy/Girl Captain cricmahanty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    132
    This test match which probably featured one of the best test hundreds in a losing cause and one of the best displays of good off-spin bowling too (1st Test: India v Pakistan at Chennai, Jan 28-31, 1999 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo) could have been different if the DRS were to be around.

    Ganguly was given caught behind when the ball had brushed off the the pads of one of the close-in fielders and bumped on the ground twice before Moin pouched it in a diving attempt. Had he stayed around and scored even some 20-odd runs, the glorious 136 wouldn't have gone down in the books as a ton in a lost cause.

  9. #24
    School Boy/Girl Captain cricmahanty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    132
    And this too.

    4th Test: Australia v West Indies at Adelaide, Jan 27-Feb 1, 1961 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

    Probably one of the most interesting of draws ever played in the game of cricket, the result would have been different if Kline had been adjudged lbw to what was a plumb dismissal only to be not given by the umpire.

  10. #25
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,808
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Two big ones for mine. Firstly, the last day of Adelaide in the 06/07 Ashes; Strauss given out early in the day off a clearly not out bat-pad to Warne, who then built up a head of steam and saw England bowled out.
    first thing that came to mind
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  11. #26
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Actually, the underarm ODI could have been completely different with DRS because Greg Chappell, who made 90, was caught in the deep by Martin Snedden when he was on about 50, but neither umpire saw it because both were looking at the creases to check for a short run at the very moment the catch was taken.

    Earlier in the day Greg Chappell, when 52, had refused to walk when Snedden, at deep midwicket, claimed what appeared to be a low but fair catch off Cairns; as neither umpire was watching the incident - they said they were looking for short runs - New Zealand's impassioned appeals for a catch were in vain.

    From Cricinfo's report of the game.
    It's funny because this is literally the first time I've heard of this yet it's arguably far more bull**** than the underarm.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  12. #27
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    32,808
    get on it, Rob

  13. #28
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,932
    Pretty sure Lara was trapped LBW and given not out early on in his 400* innings.

  14. #29
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    get on it, Rob
    already uploaded it knob.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

  15. #30
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,215
    here it is

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6agc6mYEkE

    pretty funny stuff actually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. When does a song become a classic?
    By chasingthedon in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM
  2. CWC: Trial Matches and Captains Required
    By DJellett in forum Cricket Web Cricket
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM
  3. The Campaign for Test Matches to last Ten Days
    By TheFlaneur in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 07:24 AM
  4. A forum for Classic threads.
    By Cevno in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 01-06-2011, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •