• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Not a chance. Watson will bat four, surely?
The time he spent at 4 this summer he looked pretty rubbish tbh, but since hes been opening hes got a ton and 3 fifties, I don't think theres any question hes better suited to opening its just a lot of faith to put in our young guys to perform in that middle order, particularly if clarke fails. but lets be honest no matter where anyone else bats if clarke fails we're ****ed

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The time he spent at 4 this summer he looked pretty rubbish tbh, but since hes been opening hes got a ton and 3 fifties, I don't think theres any question hes better suited to opening its just a lot of faith to put in our young guys to perform in that middle order, particularly if clarke fails. but lets be honest no matter where anyone else bats if clarke fails we're ****ed
There's no way they would play two of Henriques, Maxwell and Khawaja though.

I mean, imagine Khawaja four and either of the other two at six.

I just had a little vomie.

Edit: to accommodate Watson at opener, I mean.

Last edited:

benchmark00

There are two spots up for grab, #6 and a bowler.

Cowan
Warner
Prince
Watson
Clarke
xxxx
Wade
xxxx
Pattinson
Siddle
Lyon

If the selectors go with a second spinner (Doherty) Moises will debut at six. I think this is a terrible option.

If the selectors go for another seamer (which they will), they will probably go with Starc, which they should, or they may go with Bird. In that case they will have to decide whether they think spin will be a big factor, a moderate factor or not a factor. If they think it will be a big factor they will go with Maxwell. If they think it will be a moderate factor and they want a bob each way, they will go with Smith. If they think it won't be a factor and they need to bolster batting, they will go with Usman.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
There's no way they would play two of Henriques, Maxwell and Khawaja though.

I mean, imagine Khawaja four and either of the other two at six.

I just had a little vomie.

Edit: to accommodate Watson at opener, I mean.
Agreed, but is Khawaja at four and Smith at 6 and option? or Cowan goes to 4?

The thought of flogwell wearing a baggy green brings me to tears

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who are India's likely spinners for the first test anyway?
They've picked Ashwin, Ojha, Harbhajan and Jadeja in the squad. I reckon Ashwin and Ojha are pretty much certainties and whether the other two play will depend on team balance. Jadeja will bat 6 or 7 if he does play.

Burgey

They've picked Ashwin, Ojha, Harbhajan and Jadeja in the squad. I reckon Ashwin and Ojha are pretty much certainties and whether the other two play will depend on team balance. Jadeja will bat 6 or 7 if he does play.
Ta. Starc is probably most likely to reverse it, but will they dog it on his selection if they're worried about him making rough for India's off spinner(s)?

benchmark00

Ta. Starc is probably most likely to reverse it, but will they dog it on his selection if they're worried about him making rough for India's off spinner(s)?
Well if Warner, Cowan, Khawaja, Prince and Wade play, that's five of the top 7 who are lefties.

benchmark00

Meaning Starc creating rough outside the off stump for a right hander isn't a massive deal, given 5/7 of the batsmen are lefties, for those of you playing along at home.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
yeah but one of the other two is our only good batsman
I'm not that worried about Clarke v Ashwin+rough, personally. Ashwin is very much a wicket to wicket type bowler. Harbhajan is different but he probably won't play anyway. Two left arm spinners (Ojha and Jadeja) bowling into the rough created by right arm bowlers against our left handers is a much bigger concern IMO.

Daemon

I will probably cop some flak from this, but if we're talking about someone bat 6 in India I would much prefer Smith as a batsman alone to Khawaja at the moment. Different in Australia obviously or even maybe to bat top 3 in India, but Khawaja's front foot game just leaves me so, so cold at the moment.

Of course there are a few batsmen I'd prefer to either of them, hence my post, but from the squad selected I'm basically tossing up whether I want Smith or Maxwell in as my 11th player, and Smith wouldn't even bowl at all if I picked him.
classy 30* from all accounts