• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? Do tell.
Waugh stood by and watched appalling sledging by his players, and when they went OTT did bugger all. The Chappell sides were known for their sledging and were totally ruthless. The way they carried on inadvertently helped give birth to the WI era of dominance. The AB sides had blokes like Merv Hughes in them who weren't shy in letting people know what they thought.

Burgey

Watto looks like he's got the type of sunnies you wear to Opera Bar for an after work drink on a Friday arvo rather than on a cricket field.

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
I do agree with the commentators just now who said we play our best cricket when we abuse our opposition. It's always been the way. Other nations are naturally less aggressive and less manly. As you can see from that dismissal from Dhoni there, and both Jadeja and Kohli's hair cuts. Such a less masculine approach leads to fans such as dhillon coming into existence, and we all agree he's a waste of oxygen.

We are more overtly manly than these other countries, which is why we have dominated this game for much of its history.
Yes, it is always very important to conserve your computer's oxygen supply.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Waugh stood by and watched appalling sledging by his players, and when they went OTT did bugger all. The Chappell sides were known for their sledging and were totally ruthless. The way they carried on inadvertently helped give birth to the WI era of dominance. The AB sides had blokes like Merv Hughes in them who weren't shy in letting people know what they thought.
All true, but I thought that Ponting's crimes were more to do with his own open dissent towards umpires than sledging, which I didn't realise was a problem to most posters nowadays.

My own take on it was that the side under the older Chappell did lots of swearing and liked to bounce the hell out of people once L&T arrived, but there's no crime in either of those. The younger one was rather more culpable imo for allowing Lillee's antics towards the end of his career, plus underarm of course. And, if 'Fire in Babylon' is to be believed, for the racist nature of some of the abuse in 1975/6 against WI. Border's team from 1989 wasn't very nice, but I don't remember anything much in the way of dissent or cheating. If people were weak enough to be unnerved by Merv, then that was just too bad. And Taylor?

EDIT
Agreed about Waugh though.

Last edited:

Burgey

Doomsday Preppers new series coming to Nat Geo.

Not even those poor bastards could imagine the horror of Maxwell getting to play two tests.

Daemon

I do agree with the commentators just now who said we play our best cricket when we abuse our opposition. It's always been the way. Other nations are naturally less aggressive and less manly. As you can see from that dismissal from Dhoni there, and both Jadeja and Kohli's hair cuts. Such a less masculine approach leads to fans such as dhillon coming into existence, and we all agree he's a waste of oxygen.

We are more overtly manly than these other countries, which is why we have dominated this game for much of its history.
Awta. Metrosexuals and nerds have taken over though, would explain the drop in standard.

Burgey

All true, but I thought that Ponting's crimes were more to do with his own open dissent towards umpires than sledging, which I didn't realise was a problem to most posters nowadays.

My own take on it was that the side under the older Chappell did lots of swearing and liked to bounce the hell out of people once L&T arrived, but there's no crime in either of those. The younger one was rather more culpable imo for allowing Lillee's antics towards the end of his career, plus underarm of course. And, if 'Fire in Babylon' is to be believed, for the racist nature of some of the abuse in 1975/6 against WI. Border's team from 1989 wasn't very nice, but I don't remember anything much in the way of dissent or cheating. If people were weak enough to be unnerved by Merv, then that was just too bad. And Taylor?

EDIT
Agreed about Waugh though.
AB used to pick a fight with a fielder to make him concentrate harder. God I love that man.

Burgey

Awta. Metrosexuals and nerds have taken over though, would explain the drop in standard.
Correct. An indictment. It's pathetic seeing sportspeople worrying more about their hair than their performances. When sportsmen perform badly, even at a young age like six or seven, they deserve abuse and ridicule, not to be mollycoddled and told they did well when they lost by an innings.

There's too much entitlement in sportspeople these days. ****s me no end.