• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is it that some of Australia's lower order batsmen have more sound defensive techniques than our top order?

Take Warner, Hughes and Smith as examples

These guys have obvious ball-striking gifts but Starc, Pattinson, and Siddle generally play better defensive shots than they could dream of doing

Seems to me that the selctors identify talented batsmen and just allow them to do their thing whilst the lesser lights do the hard work
It gels with my long-held belief that bowlers are smarter and actually better with the willow.

The answers to the following two questions support this theory:

1. What type of players usually field in slips or around the bat?
A: Batsmen

2. What type of players are stupid enough to sledge tail-enders, forgetting those tailenders are about to bowl to them?
A: Batsmen

I rest my case.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh, and do you think it's too late to get the coin-tossing conversation included in the CW book? ****ing riveting stuff.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have my own theory on this, and it's climatic.

The current generation have grown up playing their junior cricket in an era of a prolonged drought. Flat pitches and little if any swing for the bowlers. Theirs is a generation which could pick the line and hit through it without the ball really doing much by way of sideways. The past few years the conditions have changed, but I don't think their games have adjusted.
I think you're right but I would argue that Aussie bats have struggled in English conditions since, well, forever. Aside from being able to earn a living from the game, traditionally the very reason to go play for a county side was to get experience in English conditions because you just don't get enough of it here and never have. Before '89, it was, what, 30 years before the Aussie Test side won in England? Take a look at the even our best players from yesteryear and there's a fairly sharp relationship between 'ability to play swing well' and 'long and successful career with an English county side'. How many of the current crop regularly do well in England any more?

So yeah, I'd argue it is and always will be a problem. The sheer quality of the blokes between '95 and '05 negated it and, if I'm not mistaken, England's weather was unusually dry in that period too. Thing is, you can carry blokes who can't play swing that well if your go-to guys can (as sometimes even the great Aussie teams have had to) but Watto and even Clarke have had plenty of troubles with the moving ball over the years so I'm really not optimistic about the team's chances in England at all.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Haven't guys like Cossie, Rogers and even Hughes done better in English fc cricket than in Australia?
tbf the standard of first class cricket in england is average so doing well in english county cricket might not mean that they're are brilliant players in english conditions per se. Cosgrove and Rogers will have played a lot of his cricket in the second division where the standard is poor. 10 years ago the australians in county cricket were averaging 60 or 70 now these guys are averaging 50 or 40. They're still good enough to get contracts and perform well but they're not dominating in the same way.

Top_Cat

Yep, scoring 1000 runs in a CC season was considered by Cox, Lehmann, Hussey, Law, etc. to be virtually a failure. They were aiming for more like 1500+ @ 60-70.

Spikey

Good news everyone! Glenn Maxwell is finally in the runs

Peter Lalor ‏@plalor 7m
NEWS: Glenn Maxwell has gastro. Running updates as they come to hand

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Good news everyone! Glenn Maxwell is finally in the runs

Peter Lalor ‏@plalor 7m
NEWS: Glenn Maxwell has gastro. Running updates as they come to hand

:laugh:

also cant believe i read like 2 pages of ****s debating the impartiality of the ****ing coin toss

ajdude

International Coach
i hope siddle:
a) goes out before 4:30 (when i have to work)
b) makes a century before 4:30
c) grinds his way to a century which comes at about 8:45 when i get home