• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Kidding yourself. India will ma,e this pitch look like a feather bed.
Maybe, it depends how the pitch is tomorrow. If there is uneven bounce like there was this morning, surely Australia are well equipped to exploit it. More so than they've been in this tour so far. Once the ball gets a little older, maybe they'll struggle.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India have the edge, still. Australia did pretty well that last session though.

Worried about 1 Indian batting collapse being due.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India have the edge, still. Australia did pretty well that last session though.

Worried about 1 Indian batting collapse being due.
There's always been a collapse, unfortunately there's always been a mammoth partnership too.

the big bambino

International Captain
:lol: :lol: Watson captain :lol: :lol:

No matter how bad England get, nothing will match that for pure hysterical humiliation.

If I was an Aussie I'd be absolutely livid about that. It's bad enough him playing, let alone captaining the side after being such an unbelievable soft-****. It basically pisses on your legacy. You're going to have barren patches but at least you never doubted that an Aussie team would give it their all, to go back to someone who has behaved the way he has. That's not like Australia at all.
Um...yeah. Thanks for taking it so badly on our behalf.

Appreciated.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wonder if there are stats on how many coin tosses each captain has lost. Dhoni has to be up there for any captain who has captained for a significant amount of time.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I wonder if there are stats on how many coin tosses each captain has lost. Dhoni has to be up there for any captain who has captained for a significant amount of time.
Has to even out during the course of his career, With unbiased coins it is not possible that one probability is overwhelmingly favoured

Checked: Dhoni won 101 tosses, lost 122 (combining Test/ODI/T20)

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Has to even out during the course of his career, With unbiased coins it is not possible that one probability is overwhelmingly favoured

Checked: Dhoni won 101 tosses, lost 122 (combining Test/ODI/T20)
I was going for Test matches only - the amount of Tests a person generally captains means the number is not really high enough to really make it even out. I suppose it depends on your definition of overwhelming. But if you start off a certain way - it's still 50-50 from that point on (each is an independent event), so your chances of ending a career with a bias towards that side is higher compared to another person who started off 50-50.

In any case, Dhoni's win % in Test matches he captained is only 37.5% (18/48), counting this match....

ganeshran

International Debutant
I was going for Test matches only - the amount of Tests a person generally captains means the number is not really high enough to really make it even out. I suppose it depends on your definition of overwhelming. But if you start off a certain way - it's still 50-50 from that point on (each is an independent event), so your chances of ending a career with a bias towards that side is higher compared to another person who started off 50-50.

In any case, Dhoni's win % in Test matches he captained is only 37.5% (18/48), counting this match....
Not really. For a sufficiently large sample it will always go towards 50%.

So if Dhoni captains in 100 tests, he would have won close to 45+ tosses. His overall career average is 45%. the smaller the subsets we extract out of this overall record ( e.g. just taking tests), the higher the possibility of skewed success ratios

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not really.
Yes really! Do not Monte Carlo fallcy CW again! It should seriously be a bannable offence.

At any moment in time, the chance of winning the toss is 50%. If you've only won 10% of tosses it doesn't make you more likely to win the next toss than someone who has won 90% of tosses.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not really. For a sufficiently large sample it will always go towards 50%.

So if Dhoni captains in 100 tests, he would have won close to 45+ tosses. His overall career average is 45%. the smaller the subsets we extract out of this overall record ( e.g. just taking tests), the higher the possibility of skewed success ratios
No, it does not. As Prince EWS mentioned.

Each coin toss is an independent event - there is no bias towards going one way or another. If you start counting with an initial situation of (for example): 30 heads and 0 tails, you will always have a bias of +30 heads because the rest of the coin tosses are 'expected' to be 50-50.