• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The amount and pace at which Ashwin is turning the ball really goes to show how rubbish our spinners are

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is Lyon's big chance to get dismissed in the 90s. Day five coming up, if he does get out in the 90s it will be of real value.

Burgey

Like a man walking a tightrope on a windy day.

Scrabbling forward desperately. wobbling all the time, hoping a big gust doesn't come along.
*Scrabbling forward looking for a real stretch of a metaphor and hoping a strong gust doesn't come along.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
one of the great innings
Dont really see what was wrong with it

The guy is playing for his immediate career and he came out and hit the bowlers around the park

Save for a horrible heave at Ashwin that brought up his 50 and a couple of misses against balls that spun a mile, I thought he did very well

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That is one of the oddest fifties I've seen in ages.
But that's exactly it with Hughes; he always finds a way to make runs. This is what he's all about.

He's completely out of his depth technically at the moment - Harbhajan was mentioned and I think even he has a better technique for these conditions ffs - but the really great thing about Hughes is that if he does find a way to get settled and comfortable then he'll pile on the runs. That's where the Bradman comparisons came from earlier in his career; they were ridiculous obviously but that's what he has in common with him - that almost robotic ability to build an innings of real substance once he's figured out how to survive a situation. Or, as he's showing here, the ability to make really strange runs even when he has no clue. He's adjudged that he's so far out of sorts and unsuited to the conditions that this is the best chance he has of scoring runs and shock horror - he's making it work.

I've never exactly been a Hughes fan as such in that I hated the early hype and don't enjoy watching him bat, plus as I've said in the past he always seems to become a much better idea when he's out of the side than when he's actually in it and you're watching him, but I like him in this team for those qualities. If Watson conquers the opposition and the conditions then he's just as likely to give it away for 40 as he is to actually contribute but when Hughes figures out how to survive with relative comfort then you can chalk him up for a century. In a team of players who score gritty 40s and players who score pretty 40s, I'm happy enough at this point to put up with Hughes's struggles for the ability to actually hit a ton if he can get past it. His technique wouldn't put him in the top 30 bats in the country in all likelihood but his temperament and ability to make it work is unparalleled.

He's an out and out batsman, and I'm growing more and more of an appreciation for that after the frustrations of so many players who look like batsmen but just don't have that batsmanship quality. From that perspective he's got more potential than anyone I've ever seen play the game before; if you can improve him to a point where he can comfortably get to 20 against all comers then you know you've got a world class player on your hands because he'll just keep repeating it.

Last edited:

Burgey

anyone who doesnt take their sunnies off when being interviewed is obviously a ****
I always just put them on top of the bonce when being interviewed. Well mannered and accessible.

Like an ocular Phil Hughes.