• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has scored thousands of runs already in SS this season, the problem is the quality of SS cricket is no good these days, Hughes is struggling against spin but do you seriously think he would get to face any decent spin in Australia?
Currently the last leg of SS season is going on and almost all teams are struggling to put together even 200 runs on the board, I mean you seriously think any national prospect can actually improve and get better in such crappy playing conditions.
The best possible option for Hughes and his international career is to have him in the ODI and T20 sides, so that he can play around the world in different conditions against international quality bowlers rather than wasting even more time in the domestic circuit, and this is something that we might have to do with more and more young talent, because whatever **** is going on in Australian domestic cricket it is certainly hurting the future of the Australian national side.
Firstly, Hughes has hardly scored "thousands" of runs

Secondly, Ponting doesnt seem to be having too much trouble

I agree that Hughes should be playing ODIs but that still gives him a lot of time to improve his game elsewhere

BulkBogan

Cricket Spectator
He has scored thousands of runs already in SS this season, the problem is the quality of SS cricket is no good these days, Hughes is struggling against spin but do you seriously think he would get to face any decent spin in Australia?
Currently the last leg of SS season is going on and almost all teams are struggling to put together even 200 runs on the board, I mean you seriously think any national prospect can actually improve and get better in such crappy playing conditions.
The best possible option for Hughes and his international career is to have him in the ODI and T20 sides, so that he can play around the world in different conditions against international quality bowlers rather than wasting even more time in the domestic circuit, and this is something that we might have to do with more and more young talent, because whatever **** is going on in Australian domestic cricket it is certainly hurting the future of the Australian national side.
The conditions in the Shield are NEVER going to prepare a batsman for playing in India, the same way young Indian batsmen are almost always found out when they first encounter the fast bowler-friendly conditions in Aus, SA and Eng.

But his runs in the Shield should not be discounted altogether because, despite your assertion that the quality of Shield cricket is poor, there are legions of very good pacemen in the Shield and many of the wickets offer plenty to the fast men.

You are right though in pointing out that the lack of decent spinners in State cricket means guys like Hughes can be very successful despite signifcant shortcomings against slow bowling.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Firstly, Hughes has hardly scored "thousands" of runs

Secondly, Ponting doesnt seem to be having too much trouble

I agree that Hughes should be playing ODIs but that still gives him a lot of time to improve his game elsewhere
So I know the scores have been lower in SS cricket but I haven't been following closely enough as to the reason why? A couple posts implied "bad" conditions? Can someone more familiar with the situation elaborate? Is it simply a lot more bounce than usual, or spin friendly or something?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I know the scores have been lower in SS cricket but I haven't been following closely enough as to the reason why? A couple posts implied "bad" conditions? Can someone more familiar with the situation elaborate? Is it simply a lot more bounce than usual, or spin friendly or something?
Nothing to do with bounce. There's been a bit of juice in the wickets over the last couple of years. In particular, but not limited to, Hobart.

Spikey

seam friendly. but also there's just better bowlers than better batsmen around. david dawson ****ing still gets a game.

BulkBogan

Cricket Spectator
Three reasons:

1. The quality of batting is poor
2. There are stacks of good pace bowlers around
3. Those pacemen are quite often benefiting from very helpful pitches

benchmark00

I hope Hughes is watching this. Honestly it's not as if they are bowling more loose balls to the other batsmen, it's just that Hughes lets them get away with it.