• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

the big bambino

International Captain
With the exception of Michael Clarke not one of the players is in a position where the coach should have to earn their respect.
Why not? The manager is there to build the team and can't do that without the respect of the men he is supposed to be leading. There were plenty of other ways a coach could have dealt with a non performing player and would have rec'd congrats from the public and respect from the team if he had. Just like Simmo getting rid of the non performing show ponies of his era.

Wheras Arthur's action here is OTT and consequentially raises questions abt his fitness to lead.

howardj

International Coach
These would be valid points except:

Watson's average as an opener is largely down to performances against rubbish West Indies and Pakistan attacks in 2009
Watson averaged 19(Spikey to confirm, its something rubbish anyway) as an opener post Ashes
He wasn't pushed down, he was replaced by Hughes because his crap body broke down again. Ed Cowan came in for Hughes after Hughes spent the entire New Zealand series nicking to Maetin Guptill.
Cowan's initial performances as an opener, whilst not amazing, were much better than anything Watson had contributed for a year.
You're against rotation so surely resting Watson for Melbourne would have caused Shane to cry with all the insecurity
Arthur wanted Watson to bowl more because it was the only thing he was doing well
So when we head to England mate, you are saying that England would prefer Watson (averaging 48 against them in the last two series) opening than Cowan?

THat's what you're saying

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England would be delighted with a soft **** like Watson digging his team into a hole by running out his partners and throwing away starts.

Averages don't tell the full story, Watson was really poor in the last Ashes.

Also, straw man much? What's Cowan got to do with the fact that Watson's crap?

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
These would be valid points except:

Watson's average as an opener is largely down to performances against rubbish West Indies and Pakistan attacks in 2009
Matey, how did Cowan go against "rubbish attacks" such as Sri Lanka (did he average 27?) such as West Indies (did he average 25?) against India in Australia (did he average 34?)

He wasn't pushed down, he was replaced by Hughes because his crap body broke down again. Ed Cowan came in for Hughes after Hughes spent the entire New Zealand series nicking to Maetin Guptill.
Sorry mate, but Arthur and Clarke have expressly stated numerous times that to give Watson more of a break, they want him batting in the middle order - this despite him humming along beautifully at the top of the order and as a change bowler before Arthur's appointment

You're against rotation so surely resting Watson for Melbourne would have caused Shane to cry with all the insecurity
He was injured so, especially given his history, should not have bowled. THe comment about rotation is fairly juvenile.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
So when we head to England mate, you are saying that England would prefer Watson (averaging 48 against them in the last two series) opening than Cowan?

THat's what you're saying
I'd prefer to face a team that Shane Watson is in and being a destabilising influence - "hey guys, where should I bat this Test? Nowhere? **** Test cricket, it's boring anyway."

He's crossed the point of no return mate. Australia's top four redemption doesn't start with him.

Ilovecric

U19 Cricketer
My Aussie friends I was enjoying the AUS team getting demolished by India, but have some comfort in knowing West Indies dropped Brian Lara, Chris Gayle, Sarwan etc from playing..wait, that didn't turn out well for them. Historically tho this seems to happen more to West Indian players - sometimes the entire team gets dropped like it did 3-4 years ago when Floyd Reifer became captain. Clarke seems like a d..k tho, and he should realize he can't do it by himself and he is not the only player who loves AUS team.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Clarke seems like a d..k tho, and he should realize he can't do it by himself and he is not the only player who loves AUS team.
Sick of this crap. People are posting it a lot on forums etc. When did Clarke say, or indicate, he is the only one who loves the Aust team?

Andre

International Regular
Don't get a lot of people's responses on this.

If your boss at work gives you a task and you don't do it you have to face the repercussions. Regardless of they are harsh or over the top, you've not completed your given task and are liable to the consequences they see fit.

Sure, those consequences might be way over the top - but you've put yourself in that position. No one else did.

Watson whinging about it suggests a massive lack of accountability to me.

the big bambino

International Captain
"Bowl better, bat better, catch better, communicate better...Just bloody play better...I am now available for Selection of Australia..!!!" - Michael Vaughan

Oh Michael. You have a better chance of being South African and playing for England.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Maybe its just me but Clarkes phrasing of Watson can come back from this leads me to think that these 4 are going to get a bigger punishment than missing 1 test. Patto should be ok since hes our best bowler but Khawaja, MJ and Watson could be done for the immediate future.

the big bambino

International Captain
Don't get a lot of people's responses on this.

If your boss at work gives you a task and you don't do it you have to face the repercussions. Regardless of they are harsh or over the top, you've not completed your given task and are liable to the consequences they see fit.

Sure, those consequences might be way over the top - but you've put yourself in that position. No one else did.

Watson whinging about it suggests a massive lack of accountability to me.
Ok we all get that. Do as you're told. But the manager must perform too. Its his job to build morale, set reasonable tasks and impose fair penalties. His job to set the standards by which players (employess) are held accountable and it should be consistent with what they are actually employed to do. Inform them beforehand the consequences of failure.

If Arthur disliked Usman's attitude for example then he shouldn't have been picked and we'd all get that. But to disrupt a team like this before a crucial test is just a case of blowing up your ship to make a point about its ill discipline. In short madness. So we go into a must win test with 4 batsmen and a pack of bits and pieces all rounders. We may not be much but we know this isn't our best team. Which is the actual job of a coach: To put the best team available up for selection.

Instilling discipline is also important. But the way he's chosen to do it is detrimental to his other tasks. Plus its a dumb way to instill discipline anyway. At least some focus should be on the way Arthur has done his job.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
He is dropping many people who are deemed unworthy!! ..
If the only thing between me and a Test cap was 200-300 words of self-flagellating doublespeak, I would have done it on the team bus three minutes after I'd got the memo.

If you don't want it badly enough, you'll never get a more spectacular chance to show how.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Moreover, very curious as to what Uzi must've done to be singled out so acidly by Arthur. He should disclose his Black Ops rating.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
- Management said at the start of this summer that there are doubts as to whether he is in the top six bats in the country (Ed though comfortably is, despite averaging 13 less in the same spot)

well they got this one spot on

Andre

International Regular
Moreover, very curious as to what Uzi must've done to be singled out so acidly by Arthur. He should disclose his Black Ops rating.
Well Khawaja's manager has agreed with the treatment he got, applauding Arthur for making the call.

Take from it what you will but he's clearly a bloke with some major attitude problems. Wouldn't suprise me if he didn't play Test cricket again to be honest.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Khawaja just behaving like what is expected in the Pakistani dressing-room. The bloke is born there after all.