• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If this is indeed the end for Sehwag, which it looks like, though you never know in Indian cricket, thanks for your service. What a great career.

But the time is right to end his test career. His slips fielding has been extremely poor lately, he has looked more lethargic than his normal "laconic demeanour", and he is obviously well past it with the bat.

Thanks for the memories Viru, but beat it.
Such heartfelt sentiments in that last sentence- would bring a tear to a glass eye

social

The position Khawaja was selected for in the first two Tests is the position he's most ideally suited to filling at the moment, unfortunately.
Agreed but the chances are that they will pick him, bat him out of position and then hold it against him

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agreed but the chances are that they will pick him, bat him out of position and then hold it against him
Well given this series is already gone, I'd not shed a tear if that happened in the short term. I really don't think he's good enough to play for Australia currently, especially not in subcontinent conditions. I think he's got enough about him to change that with some work but he was "unfairly" exiled for a season or two until that happened because of a couple of failures here I'd not too disappointed.

harsh.ag

Yeah, don't let the door hit you on the venerable arse.
Almighty Sehwag, we thank you for all the gifts you have given us. The power to terrorize bowlers and rewrite test opening rules was nothing short of god-like. And let's not forget making it into Ian Chappell's All-Time World First XI. It seems greedy to ask anything more from you, o holy Sehwag, but since you have malfunctioned and refused to leave through the backdoor gracefully, we have to destroy you in the back alley with baseball bats.

Sincerely with warm regards.

Last edited:

Mr_Ronan

Banned
A lot of people on here don't rate Cowan, Watson, Hughes, Khawaja or Smith. So who do you guys think are the batsmen in Aus who are superior to that bunch?

It seems like outside the team from the last Test there are:

1. Good experienced batsmen who appear to have missed the boat - D. Hussey, Rogers, Voges, Klinger

2. Talented underachievers in their late 20s - Marsh, Ferguson, Cosgrove, Forrest, Davis, White, Pomersbach

3. Exciting young players yet to perform consistenly - Burns, Maddinson, Smith

What does that leave? Not much. Khawaja, Bailey, Doolan and Quiney basically.

Khawaja is clearly a very gifted player but seems to lack the necessary hunger. Bailey, IMO, has that hunger but does he have the requisite talent to make it at Test level?

Doolan is impressive and has done well on the tricky Bellerive wicket but realistically has only put together good performances over a short period of time and has an underwhelming career FC record for a 27yo.

I'm not sold on Quiney and do we really need another opener in the side?

Am I missing out anyone?

Last edited:

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
If we"re picking the best possible batting lineup available: Cowan shouldn"t be in that line up.Bailey should be given ago on the basis of the temperament he has shown on the big stage and his odi form, Khawaja and Hughes should definitely be there as I believe they are the two best young bats in the country.Pick them(Khawaja and Hughes) and give them ample opportunity to succeed.Let's have faith in our young talented bats, Steve Waugh took some time to come into his own as a batsman.Add Clarke , Watson and Warner to that list and you have basically chosen the best 6 bats in Australia.If an all rounder is needed then you have Henriques.Apart from these guys I"ve mentioned I don"t think there is any other batter out there who should be in our top 6.The talk of Doolan and test cricket will always be thrown out there but if Doolan is the answer then what is the question?

Last edited:

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Good decision by India to give the new gen openers a taste of test cricket before tougher assignments away. There are no major home test series scheduled for India till 2015 is what I read somewhere.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah but his head seems about 20000 miles into the sand

i mean

"To bowl Sachin Tendulkar through the gate you must be doing something right," Lyon declared as Australia began a two-day break before resuming training for next week's third Test.

really? if i bowl 2000000 balls and i hit the stumps once am i doing something right.

uvelocity

International Coach
it's just show mate. something for the papers. something for the indians. he aint scared, I bowled tendulkar, run at me.

i like it.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Mohali is generally a flat pitch with good carry and decent bounce. Should suit the Aussie bowlers and batsmen. Great chance for them to come back 2-1 in the series