• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Its interesting to see how, having criticised Vijay and consigned him to the dustbin of hoistory, everyone ois finding it so difficult to appreciate a high quality knock. Suddenly his innings is the result of Australia having just two decent bowlers. Wonder how many other great bowlers they had in Chennai during Dhoni;s incredible double hundred !

Come on guys appreciate a good knock when you see one. He played the first session in a completely different manner than he has been doing since he showed his aggression in IPL. He showed far better defense of not just front foot but even off the back foot which Gambhir hasn't shown after having scored thousands of Test runs. Ecaded the sharp short stuff aimed at his body in the best possible manner, bending backwards from the waist, not backing away, looking at the ball all the time and allowing it to go over the stumps to the keeper. How many Indian youngsters show that to genuine pace. Forget youngsters, think Sehwag, Ganguly and Gambhir only and answer truthfully.

Of course Vijay has been having a poor run but to use that to run down a remarkable show by Vijay and Pujara is amazingly churlish.

How much has been written in the past in glowing terms of hundreds by the stars against weaker attacks here at home. Who wants to take a bet that I can take out a dozen such records from the archives of CC in a day ??

Of course this Australian attack is not the one they had ten or even five years ago. Thats true for many attacks around the world. It does not stop fans from going gaga over the runs scored against these in recent years.

Pujara and Vijay first saw off the two good bowlers in the morning with the ball new ant the wicket a bit fresh, Then they started to consolidate against the second strng in the second session and finally put the entire attack to the sword in an amazing display in the final session. If Vijay had got out in place of Sehwag and Laxman somehow happened to br the number three who alongwith Sehwag then conjured up the same, near 300 run, partnership in the day, I bet this place would have been abuzz with over the board gushing words of praise.
Just saw this post. Yeah, it was a good innings by Vijay no doubt. Well played but then Raina and Yuvraj have played better and more important innings too in tests. There is a massive difference between appreciating a innings and a batsman.

And thing is Vijay never had a temperament problem in tests. His problem was always about his technique. People seem to mix up his ODI faliures and Test faliures too often and you are guilty of this here.

In Tests he always pushed at balls outside off and edged them to slips when they moved or get beaten by pace. Rarely remember him doing a Sehwag and getting out flashing. He did that in ODI's maybe but in tests he always buckled down.

And too Blame IPL for ruining him is Rich, as he was and is in the team because of being hyped up based on that anyway. It's his strokeplay that is his USP, nothing else. Will gladly accept that he has improved once he does this in tougher and quicker conditions.

See Badrinath and Mukund who don't have the same attractive strokeplays and IPL records and get ignored.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Australia is to do anything in this match we need something big from Warner. He scores quickly enough that he'll get Dhoni putting the field back early on, which will ease a shed load of pressure.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
How many of you watch domestic Indian cricket? Are you aware of the bowling standards there. How do you think Jadeja scores triple hundreds? These Jiwanjot's and Chands may turn out to be the next Gavaskars and Sehwags but what evidence is there of them being good enough to replace some one who, poor though his recent form has been, has just scored his second Test century against Australia. Murali Vijay has been a terrible disappointment for he was very promising but today he came good. How can we just get up and say he should be dropped. Who says stuff like that except those who have just made up their minds for or against someone.

On top of that Murali Vijay IS facing the axe so that pressure is real. If Sachin can have the pressure of his 100th 100 for two yers, why not a youngster facing oblivion which one more failure might have meant.

Why not see his batting from that context - his very existence on the Indian cricket firmament when he came into bat this innings and then rate his batting.

By the way, I know a little bit about cricket and cricket technique. I am afraid I did not notice any serious flaws in both these guys today. Indian batsmen, particularly the younger lot are pretty bad against the quiclker, stuff and lateral movement from the fast bowlers. These two showed better technique than most Indian youngsters have shown for quite some time now.

I am more worried about what happened to Murali Vijay. This boy was good. Difficult to say what happened to him. I liked him in his first three test innings. The 33 and 41 on debut against Lee Johnson and Watson. He and Sehwag put on 98 and 116 in the two innings and then in his next test innings, in December 2009, he scored 87 against Srilanka in a 221 run partnership with Sehwag and India scored over 700 runs on a perfect wicket and won by an innings.

Then came IPL 2010 and Murali Vijay reinvented himself. His 458 runs came at 157 per hundred balls and he hit 26 sixes in the 15 games he played. I feel India lost Murali Vijay to IPL 2010. His game changed. In 2009 he had scored his 60 IPL runs at under 90 per 100 balls. Now we were seeing one of the cleanest sixer hitters in India.

Only one Indian cricketer hit more sixes and scored at a faster strike rate than Murali Vijay in that year's IPL and he according to me is another tragedy amongst young Indian talents. His name - Robin Uthappa.

I do not know what will happen with Murali Vijay after this test. Maybe he will again go back to scoring the wayward and low scores he has given over the last couple of years. But then again we have to wit and see. one can only hope that this innings will make Murali realise that the two hours he spent in the morning eschewing all stroke play and seeing off Siddle and Pattinson was wahat he needs to learn to do more often at the highest level and if he manages to learn those lessons the runs of the late afternoon will come back for his talent and stroke play are not in doubt.

But we have to wait and watch.

In the meanwhile the least we can do for our young cricketer is to hope and pray for better sense and better council from seniors. To abuse him and his technique is to take the short cut which the selectors could have taken by dropping him after the Chennai test. Thank God they did not and lets hope the young man pays back with gratitude.
Don't think anyone said he should have been dropped. But he shouldn't have been selected in the first place for the last series. If you are saying the likes of Jiwanjot and Chand making runs doesn't show their worth in domestic cricket, then how does Vijay averaging a meagre 20 something deserve selection ?

He was selected ahead of other options for the Irani trophy, where he tonned up somehow due to 4 lucky reprieves on a flat wicket against Pub attack. That brought him back into the team. I watched whole of that match and Jaffer overshadowed both him and Dhawan easily against a much much better attack which ROI possessed. Rahane more or less was similar before getting a poo decision.

And Robin Uthappa and Vijay were never ruined as such because of IPL or being aggressive. They never had great defensive techniques to begin with. Uthappa was overrated because he could hit a six and Vijay because he could dominate any bowler when conditions suited him.

Vijay like Raina can succeed in India or favorable conditions abroad no problems one out of 4/5 occasions and so can Jiwanjot's/Mukund/Jaffer's, but the question is can they do it outside their comfort zones and consistently ? There's only 1 way to know, by trying them out as atleast in domestic cricket they have showed decent temperament and technique, but Vijay keeps getting recalled without warranting it like Harbhajan.

What did say a Mukund do to not deserve a go on home conditions ? He was dropped based on 1/2 test in England in a team that was shattered anyway after outperforming Vijay in Domestic cricket/A tours and also in the West Indies in a low scoring series. Vijay is in the team ahead of him based on his attractiveness in the IPL. The same IPL you are blaming.
I am sure he will ton up given 10 Test matches at home once too.

Badrinath will probably do it 2 or 3 times if he wasn't dropped for scoring a 50 against a Red Hot Steyn in a collapsing team and not being attractive enough.

Anyways, I always knew Vijay was capable of this. That was never a issue. So can't say he has improved until he does something else outside his comfort zone. As Social said his technique still doesn't seem the best defensively to me, but we'll have to agree to disagree on it right now. It's important to see this very good innings in context, that is it.

Last edited:

ajdude

International Coach
that's not a good effort it's a drop ffs

it would've been a good effort to get out of the way of it entirely tbh

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whoever that clown is in the crowd yelling as the ball is in mid air sounds like a genuine goat scream.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
FFS another drop. Should have taken it Dhoni.

And Gavaskar that's not a good effort again. That should be taken. Along with Shastri the most irritating commentator.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not sure Cowan would've ever played another Test innings if Dhoni caught that. A 25 ball duck in the midst of this inevitable hammering would've really given his critics some ammunition.