• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo is saying that it's really unclear whether that was out, while test match sofa is saying the opposite. Who's right?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's how it should be isn't it? The third umpire must stay with on field umpire's call on the edge in absence of conclusive evidence, much as it happens in actual drs.
there was pretty ****ing conclusive evidence - just look. what I mean is, if the umpire thought he hit it straight away, why didn't he walk over to square leg straight away? it wasn't until pattinson started walking to him that he decided to go upstairs, for whatever reason...i don't think he went up there to just check if it carried.

benchmark00

there was pretty ****ing conclusive evidence - just look. what I mean is, if the umpire thought he hit it straight away, why didn't he walk over to square leg straight away? it wasn't until pattinson started walking to him that he decided to go upstairs, for whatever reason...i don't think he went up there to just check if it carried.
But the point is Erasmus can't go upstairs just to see if he edged it, he must go upstairs to see if it carried after first thinking he edged it.

Now, Erasmus could conceivably be cheeky and go upstairs to see if it hits the bat, but then if he does that, if it's not conclusive that he hit it, but not conclusive he didn't hit it, it must be given out (provided it carried).

Basically, going upstairs is a concession that the umpire believes he hit it, and there must be conclusive evidence to say otherwise to change it.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I know it was conclusive. And I agree that he wanted to check more than just the carry. But I am talking about a hypothetical situation.

Spikey

henriques injury sweepstakes:

a) side strain
b) back
c) foot
d) something else
e) not hurt. clarke's just not bowled him today for the lulz

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I know it was conclusive. And I agree that he wanted to check more than just the carry. But I am talking about a hypothetical situation.
Or what benchy said. It's a conundrum that the umpire must be aware of if he's trying to be cheeky in checking the edge while pretending to be checking the carry.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Ball did change course slightly in Sachin's dismissal. I guess snicko would have settled it.

As long as the correct decision was given, the protocol used to review doesnt matter.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tendy gone = time to sleep :p.

What do you guys think - should India even declare today? The pitch is still good, and ~200 runs can be gotten in a good couple sessions. You only want to bat once, and giving the other team five sessions should be more than enough - the pitch is still too good to allow the Aussie batsmen to get too settled in IMO.

This is assuming, of course, that India can bat that long. But just theoretically speaking.