Page 265 of 711 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275315365 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,975 of 10658
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha. I'm all for home pitches and Ill defend that forever. But doesn't sit right to specifically change the preparation in one area where the opposition bowler happens to bowl. If that was done at, say, Lord's, there'd be an outcry.
    Yeah I agree, once you start changing the way a pitch normally plays to gain an advantage or, as mentioned in this article, are selective in the areas you water etc then I think that's going a bit far. Local weather conditions should determine how the pitch plays, not local curators. If conditions dictate there's normally a lot of turn so be it, same with movement off the deck for the quick bowlers.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Is it just me or do we barely get through a week or two of cricket without Watson saying how how great it'd be if something was different?
    he's like a puppy, except for the cuteness. even ugly puppies are cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Spark should change his sig tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Whinging about this pitch is dumb imo. Sure if there is a total mudhole which is bad watching - different story. But that was an interesting test with performances from each side. Just one really stood out. I mean even at 38th grade park standard teams put the hats out further if it suits them. Tassie was making greentops because it suited them
    It does rain a bit in Tassie. Kind of helps the production of greentops rather than dustbowls.
    I don't think the pitch was unfair, the test went to the last day. A couple of balls did some pretty interesting things, but overall it turned a lot as you'd expect and we couldn't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    "Doctored" implies the two teams played on two different pitches, or it was unfair in some way. Learn2play.
    Personally I think doctored means changed to play differently to how it usually does. If you turned up to the Gabba after a year of normal weather conditions and found a raging turner that offered little for the quick men then you'd be a bit suspicious (if Australia found itself 3 decent spinners and were trying to play to their strengths that is).

If you turn up after a year where there's been normal weather conditions and it's pretty lively with a bit in it for the quick men in the first couple of days however then it's kind of what you'd expect.

Shane Watson. #shanewatsonthoughts

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Spark should change his sig tbh.
    nah it's still funny

---

I don't even mind doctored conditions a huge amount (though within reason). But the preparation of the pitch should be the same across the whole pitch, the better comparison to the thing in the article would be if we decided to leave a ton of grass outside the right-handers' off stump compared to outside the left-handers' because we have tons of left handers and the oppo don't, for example.
    Last edited by Spark; 28-02-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: tenses suck
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Shane Watson. #shanewatsonthoughts
    jay leno is so great #shanewatsonthoughts
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    nah it's still funny

---

I don't even mind doctored conditions a huge amount (though within reason). But the preparation of the pitch should be the same across the whole pitch, the better comparison to the thing in the article was if we decided to leave a ton of grass outside the right-handers' off stump compared to outside the left-handers' because we have tons of left handers and the oppo don't, for example.
    Yeah, agree. If the curator wants to prepare a pitch to suit the home side then I haven't got a problem with that, but if he wants to prepare half the pitch to suit the home side then...

It goes beyond just playing to the strengths of your skills and delves into the realm of playing to the coincidental makeup of your side.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

So in summary, everyone sees the difference between doing that, which we agree is going too far, and just producing a turner except social.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    So in summary, everyone sees the difference between doing that, which we agree is going too far, and just producing a turner except social.
    Yeah pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah, agree. If the curator wants to prepare a pitch to suit the home side then I haven't got a problem with that, but if he wants to prepare half the pitch to suit the home side then...

It goes beyond just playing to the strengths of your skills and delves into the realm of playing to the coincidental makeup of your side.
    I dunno. I want to agree but the line's still pretty blurry.

There are good reasons why offspin doesn't really work in Australia, or didn't a few years ago, and so when Australia went to India with a world class spinner he was in all likelihood naturally going to be a leggie.

You can't really say that the makeup of your side is coincidental, it's usually going to spring from how your country plays cricket, often to be due to conditions.
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post

There are good reasons why offspin doesn't really work in Australia, or didn't a few years ago, and so when Australia went to India with a world class spinner he was in all likelihood naturally going to be a leggie.

You can't really say that the makeup of your side is coincidental, it's usually going to spring from how your country plays cricket, often to be due to conditions.
    I was more talking about Spark's example though, which I think is in effect the same thing that they did here. If you've got a stack of left handers in your team, that's a coincidence, and having the curator prepare different parts of the pitch differently because of that really has nothing to do with developing different skills for different conditions, or playing to your strengths. I don't think what happened here is really any different.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post

My example is different though, in that case you're creating the situation where the teams are effectively playing on two different surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah pretty much
    I repeat, where the **** did I criticise the pitch?

I criticised the attitude of India's players who come out in the media every day demanding a dust bowl and then whinging when they lose on one - they are weak as piss

Let's not forget that Jono's manbro Mr Kohli has spent the last 18 months blaming his side's thrashing in Oz on green-tops produced to favour the home side

OK, let's name 1 pitch in Oz that behaved differently to what it does for every single game during that season

Anyone?

Anyone??

Anyone???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

No, I didnt think so

Thread Information