• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah. That's what they said about WI, and England, and Australia and whoever else. Cricket doesn't need any of it. It just needs good, close, fun contests. Regardless of who is at the top for the moment.
This in part

The Ashes will still play before full houses and be watched by tens of millions around the world irrespective of whether we lose in 3 days or 4 against India

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Nah. That's what they said about WI, and England, and Australia and whoever else. Cricket doesn't need any of it. It just needs good, close, fun contests. Regardless of who is at the top for the moment.
Strong team..Not Dominating...if two teams are strong their will be always close matches.....the same can happen b/w poor teams.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with this. At the minute SA and England are clearly better than most of the rest and the rest seem to be much of a muchness, could do with another couple of teams improving to make it a real battle at the top but other than that is cricket any different on the whole now to what it has ever been? Just different names in the top/bottom slots.

Pothas

Also let us not pretend that Australia are ever going the way of the Windies, they are never bad for long.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Strong team..Not Dominating...if two teams are strong their will be always close matches.....the same can happen b/w poor teams.
Nah, cricket doesn't need a strong Australia either. In the nineties, England wasn't good but Aus and WI were stronger. Now, SA and England are strong while Aus isn't there yet.

Different teams will rise and fall. That's the nature of the sport. WI is one of the smallest markets money wise and yet many people still fondly recall the time when they were steamrolling everyone in existence. And a lot of people were also watching when Australia were dominating, and then when India and England came up fighting towards the top spot and now when England and SA are clearly at the top. It's all a cycle - no one country has to be particularly strong or weak.

flibbertyjibber

Also let us not pretend that Australia are ever going the way of the Windies, they are never bad for long.
Totally agree. They look like they have good bowling stocks (spinners apart) so can always stay in games, they need some bats to back up and support Clarke as he can't do it all on his own. Once they find a few good bats they will be up there towards the top of the game again, may take a few more years but it WILL happen.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its interesting to see how, having criticised Vijay and consigned him to the dustbin of hoistory, everyone ois finding it so difficult to appreciate a high quality knock. Suddenly his innings is the result of Australia having just two decent bowlers. Wonder how many other great bowlers they had in Chennai during Dhoni;s incredible double hundred !

Come on guys appreciate a good knock when you see one. He played the first session in a completely different manner than he has been doing since he showed his aggression in IPL. He showed far better defense of not just front foot but even off the back foot which Gambhir hasn't shown after having scored thousands of Test runs. Ecaded the sharp short stuff aimed at his body in the best possible manner, bending backwards from the waist, not backing away, looking at the ball all the time and allowing it to go over the stumps to the keeper. How many Indian youngsters show that to genuine pace. Forget youngsters, think Sehwag, Ganguly and Gambhir only and answer truthfully.

Of course Vijay has been having a poor run but to use that to run down a remarkable show by Vijay and Pujara is amazingly churlish.

How much has been written in the past in glowing terms of hundreds by the stars against weaker attacks here at home. Who wants to take a bet that I can take out a dozen such records from the archives of CC in a day ??

Of course this Australian attack is not the one they had ten or even five years ago. Thats true for many attacks around the world. It does not stop fans from going gaga over the runs scored against these in recent years.

Pujara and Vijay first saw off the two good bowlers in the morning with the ball new ant the wicket a bit fresh, Then they started to consolidate against the second strng in the second session and finally put the entire attack to the sword in an amazing display in the final session. If Vijay had got out in place of Sehwag and Laxman somehow happened to br the number three who alongwith Sehwag then conjured up the same, near 300 run, partnership in the day, I bet this place would have been abuzz with over the board gushing words of praise.

Last edited:

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Nah, cricket doesn't need a strong Australia either. In the nineties, England wasn't good but Aus and WI were stronger. Now, SA and England are strong while Aus isn't there yet.

Different teams will rise and fall. That's the nature of the sport. WI is one of the smallest markets money wise and yet many people still fondly recall the time when they were steamrolling everyone in existence. And a lot of people were also watching when Australia were dominating, and then when India and England came up fighting towards the top spot and now when England and SA are clearly at the top. It's all a cycle - no one country has to be particularly strong or weak.
Makes sense...

But i am one among the ppl who watched Australia dominate..i would be more happy if we win against a good(Great) Australian side.Maybe i am discarding this team too quickly...We may well get our asses kicked at their home :p

Mr_Ronan

Banned
I rmember thinking when Australia were 4-208 yesterday with Wade and Clarke flying that we needed well over 400 because the pitch was playing so well. 237 was pretty much 200 short of even just a solid score.

Hard to see where the wickets will come from tomorrow. Doherty and Maxwell actually didn't bowl that badly today - Doherty was very accurate and Maxwell fairly accurate while also getting a bit out of the pitch.

But that just emphasises the fact that they are simply not up to Test standard. For them to both bowl pretty close to as well as they can and yet still come away with 0 for 140 is a serious indictment.

They both bowled exactly like what they are - a limited overs spinner and a part-time spinner respectively.

Pattinson bowled well at times but his pace was down. He is so much more threatening when he is consistently 145kmh plus. That's one difference from the last series when we destroyed India...in that series Patto, Siddle and Hilfenhaus were all consistently in the 140s, with Hilfy even touching 150kmh at times.

Yet since that series both Hilfy and Siddle have struggled to consistently break 140kmh. That extra 6 or 7kmh makes a bowler a far bigger weapon.

The one consolation I took out of today is that Henriques did exactly what should be expected of him with the ball - kept it very tight at one end while the frontline guys had a rest. Realistically, on more helpful wickets he will very much play second fiddle to the likes of Patto, Siddle, Starc, Bird, Harris etc and will only be required for this sort of holding role plus the occasional breakthrough. In such circumstances, it's runs that we'll really need from him

Last edited:

social

You'd do well to remember that Australia would be the No. 1 test team in world if not for the weather in Brisbane and injuries in Adelaide.

SA are average

It's just that the rest of the world's teams are poor

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Presumably just when everyone has gone to bed, Jono will pop on and give his boring as bat **** "I was there" review of the day.
I was there today too, as I know you badly wanted to know. It was quite entertaining.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You'd do well to remember that Australia would be the No. 1 test team in world if not for the weather in Brisbane and injuries in Adelaide.

SA are average

By definition that makes South Africa above average.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Makes sense...

But i am one among the ppl who watched Australia dominate..i would be more happy if we win against a good(Great) Australian side.Maybe i am discarding this team too quickly...We may well get our asses kicked at their home :p
We just did....

social

Its interesting to see how, having criticised Vijay and consigned him to the dustbin of hoistory, everyone ois finding it so difficult to appreciate a high quality knock. Suddenly his innings is the result of Australia having just two decent bowlers. Wonder how many other great bowlers they had in Chennai during Dhoni;s incredible double hundred !

Come on guys appreciate a good knock when you see one. He played the first session in a completely different manner than he has been doing since he showed his aggression in IPL. He showed far better defense of not just front foot but even off the back foot which Gambhir hasn't shown after having scored thousands of Test runs. Ecaded the sharp short stuff aimed at his body in the best possible manner, bending backwards from the waist, not backing away, looking at the ball all the time and allowing it to go over the stumps to the keeper. How many Indian youngsters show that to genuine pace. Forget youngsters, think Sehwag, Ganguly and Gambhir only and answer truthfully.

Of course Vijay has been having a poor run but to use that to run down a remarkable show by Vijay and Pujara is amazingly churlish.

How much has been written in the past in glowing terms of hundreds by the stars against weaker attacks here at home. Who wants to take a bet that I can take out a dozen such records from the archives of CC in a day ??

Of course this Australian attack is not the one they had ten or even five years ago. Thats true for many attacks around the world. It does not stop fans from going gaga over the runs scored against these in recent years.

Pujara and Vijay first saw off the two good bowlers in the morning with the ball new ant the wicket a bit fresh, Then they started to consolidate against the second strng in the second session and finally put the entire attack to the sword in an amazing display in the final session. If Vijay had got out in place of Sehwag and Laxman somehow happened to br the number three who alongwith Sehwag then conjured up the same, near 300 run, partnership in the day, I bet this place would have been abuzz with over the board gushing words of praise.
SJS,

They did a phenomenal job.

BUT, given how the commentators kept on referring to the upcoming SA series, my overriding thought during their partnership was how poor both of their techniques looked against the quicker bowlers

Batting on leg stump, not moving across, playing with an open face and being troubled by bouncers on that deck is hardly a recipe for success

Pothas

SA are average

Which is one of the reasons I made it clear that I didn't think Australia were in anyway in permanent decline.

SA may have a few too many mediocre players to be a great side but it ridiculous to call them average.

flibbertyjibber

SA are average

If your selectors weren't so stupid you may have been number 1 anyway. Dropping the main pace bowlers for rotational purposes was the dumbest thing I have seen in years given it was a series and number 1 ranking decider.

social

If your selectors weren't so stupid you may have been number 1 anyway. Dropping the main pace bowlers for rotational purposes was the dumbest thing I have seen in years given it was a series and number 1 ranking decider.
Tell them that :laugh:

Anyway, one of SA's best bowlers in that test was Robbie ****ing Peterson and he makes the X-man look like Bishen Bedi

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

SA are average
Sick of this argument tbh. People seem to ignore the fact that SA had a few key injuries themselves.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS,

They did a phenomenal job.

BUT, given how the commentators kept on referring to the upcoming SA series, my overriding thought during their partnership was how poor both of their techniques looked against the quicker bowlers

Batting on leg stump, not moving across, playing with an open face and being troubled by bouncers on that deck is hardly a recipe for success
I do not hold a brief for either. They just dd a great job for India today on the conditions that existed. I don't even say whether the conditions were good or bad. But to tun them down after they put up nearly three hundred runs in partnership in a day is strange to put it mildly. Tp suggest that youngsters like Jiwanjot and Chand (who are they) should be the replacements for the g=future is amazing. Where do people churn up this stuff from. It is heart breaking really I cant think of another term for how one feels.

How many of you watch domestic Indian cricket? Are you aware of the bowling standards there. How do you think Jadeja scores triple hundreds? These Jiwanjot's and Chands may turn out to be the next Gavaskars and Sehwags but what evidence is there of them being good enough to replace some one who, poor though his recent form has been, has just scored his second Test century against Australia. Murali Vijay has been a terrible disappointment for he was very promising but today he came good. How can we just get up and say he should be dropped. Who says stuff like that except those who have just made up their minds for or against someone.

Sachin should have been dropped, should have probably retired himself but he didn't but if he scores five hundred runs plus in this series people have to shut up and say "well played little fella". You don't then get up and say it was because Australia had a lousy attack. That is churlish.

Of course Australian bowling side is not great. Nor is any other today. The two good bowling sides in the world today are South Africa and Pakistan. The latter being more rounded for the variety in the attack. This is well known but try saying to a fan today that runs are easy to come by and see how people jump up.

The fact is that bowling standards HAVE declined around the world. Have been declining for quite sometime now. This is something to worry about but that is a different matter from running down a specific batsman (or two) after thye score big runs in a big series - for a big series it is. On top of that Murali Vijay IS facing the axe so that pressure is real. If Sachin can have the pressure of his 100th 100 for two yers, why not a youngster facing oblivion which one more failure might have meant.

Why not see his batting from that context - his very existence on the Indian cricket firmament when he came into bat this innings and then rate his batting.

By the way, I know a little bit about cricket and cricket technique. I am afraid I did not notice any serious flaws in both these guys today. Indian batsmen, particularly the younger lot are pretty bad against the quiclker, stuff and lateral movement from the fast bowlers. These two showed better technique than most Indian youngsters have shown for quite some time now.

Pujara's footwork is exemplary and he may turn out to be one of India's most prolific run-hetters in the game. If he does that it will be because of his very sound technique. I am surprised you find faults with it. Yes he runs the ball down to third man but isn;t that the done thing in the last two decades or so. Barring Rahul Dravid, every major Indian batsman of the last two decades has done it. I don't like it because there are better alternatives to it - the conventional late cut is the obvious first choice. But who can say that even to the fan today let alone to a cricketer.

Pujara is a fixture in this Indian side so one doesn't worry about him. He is 25 runs short of his 1000 Test runs in his 12th Test match. As I write his average stands at 65 and the 72 he scored in his first test match remains the only fifty he has scored in these 12 tests. The other four ended in scores of 159, 206 not out, 135 and 162 (batting). If that does not impress Indian fans nothing will unless he gets a facelift and is seen with Deepika Padukone I guess :o) Kidding.

I am more worried about what happened to Murali Vijay. This boy was good. Difficult to say what happened to him. I liked him in his first three test innings. The 33 and 41 on debut against Lee Johnson and Watson. He and Sehwag put on 98 and 116 in the two innings and then in his next test innings, in December 2009, he scored 87 against Srilanka in a 221 run partnership with Sehwag and India scored over 700 runs on a perfect wicket and won by an innings.

Then came IPL 2010 and Murali Vijay reinvented himself. His 458 runs came at 157 per hundred balls and he hit 26 sixes in the 15 games he played. I feel India lost Murali Vijay to IPL 2010. His game changed. In 2009 he had scored his 60 IPL runs at under 90 per 100 balls. Now we were seeing one of the cleanest sixer hitters in India.

Only one Indian cricketer hit more sixes and scored at a faster strike rate than Murali Vijay in that year's IPL and he according to me is another tragedy amongst young Indian talents. His name - Robin Uthappa.

I do not know what will happen with Murali Vijay after this test. Maybe he will again go back to scoring the wayward and low scores he has given over the last couple of years. But then again we have to wit and see. one can only hope that this innings will make Murali realise that the two hours he spent in the morning eschewing all stroke play and seeing off Siddle and Pattinson was wahat he needs to learn to do more often at the highest level and if he manages to learn those lessons the runs of the late afternoon will come back for his talent and stroke play are not in doubt.

But we have to wait and watch.

In the meanwhile the least we can do for our young cricketer is to hope and pray for better sense and better council from seniors. To abuse him and his technique is to take the short cut which the selectors could have taken by dropping him after the Chennai test. Thank God they did not and lets hope the young man pays back with gratitude.