• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah up until the end of the 86/7 Ashes series he had 115 @ 31.59. Actually played his last Test in 1995 at the age of 43.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(re. Emburey) CBF to check but bet it blew out towards the end of his career. Was still playing into his late 30s and beyond when he really shouldn't have been.
It did - his performances in the illfated 1993 India tour were especially embarrassing. It also tailed off sharply after the three year ban following his first pocketing of the rand. Before that, he was genuinely a wicket taking threat. Far less so when he returned, for whatever reason. Not least that he barely span the ball by then, I suspect. I remember when he twisted his ankle one observer reckoned it was the first thing he had turned all summer.

That being said, he could usually bowl accurately enough to contain. Which was what he was talking about today, by all accounts.

Last edited:

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
Think Doherty as the second spinner would have been good, helping provide some pressure for Lyon to bowl in a more attacking fashion. He just bowls too defensively to be the main "weapon" in the attack, which a spinner probably has to be on the two wickets that have been played on so far.

And Siddle/Pattinson/Doherty is a fine 8-10, I hope that there weren't any concerns about that part of the order that led to Maxi's selection.
Amazing that some persons are still convince that Doherty has a role to play in our test team.O"keefe can provide that defensive option who unlike Doherty has picked up first class wickets at a very good average.We need to pick the best persons for the job and stop backing players just because they "MIGHT BE ABLE" to perform a role.Maxwell , Cowan and a few others fall in that category.Let's pick solid performers at domestic cricket or atleast players who have temperament / talent and some long term prospects(Henriques,Hughes ,Bailey and Khawaja).Let's allow players like Smith, Maxwell to gain experience at domestic level because that's where they belong.One good season shouldn"t be enough to convince the selectors that all of a sudden that such players are good enough.Let's persevere with Lyon and be ready to nurture Agar and Holland because they are the future.We need to stop trying to Convince ourselves that Watson is an opener. He can"t convert 20"s into hundred what makes us think he"ll start scoring hundreds against the brand new ball and fresh bowlers.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
seems like every cricketer is picked because they might be able to perform a role tbh

Philhughesisbes

School Boy/Girl Captain
seems like every cricketer is picked because they might be able to perform a role tbh
Sadly our test team has turned into a group of players who just might be able to perform a role because they have the X factor.How can X factor , Smith and Maxwell be used in the same sentence.I know we"re not boming with great bats at domestic level but let's pick quality and not quantity.

pup11

International Coach
I didn't watch the cricket today and I don't regret that decision.

Apart from Clarke, the Aussie team are all a bunch of ****s. What a disastrous performance and tour.

Collapse against a bowling attack as mediocre as this and then let Vijay and Pujara of all the people in the Indian batting line-up to bat out a day...

Ridiculous.
Playing in these conditions is pretty much like landing on an alien planet for most of these guys so pretty unfair to have a go at them for that, but what was truly disappointing was that the ball was ready to go reverse from the 13th over yet not a single quick was able to utilise that, one needs to bowl full to maximize the effect of reverse swing, but when we bowled full all we managed to do was bowl leg stump half volleys that kept tailing even further down leg.

Also is it me or was the ball keeping a lot more up and down when Aussie boys were batting compared to today?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It's a bit early for such comparisons champ. We're only 1 Test and 2 days play into the post-Hussey era!!

Things are dire in this series, no doubt, but even the great Aussie team of 1995-2007 struggled in India so let's not get too carried away just yet.

The selectors were completely taken by surprise by the retirements of Ponting and Hussey, both of whom had indicated they would play the Ashes. So to suddenly and unexpectedly have to replace your two most experienced batsmen is no mean feat!!

In Henriques they have already unearthed one player who, on the evidence so far, is a brilliant all-round prospect. They've also got a batallion of young pace bowlers aged under 25 which is better than that boasted by any other nation.

So let's just keep things in perspective.
To be honest i agree with the WI comparison, because the slide is looking quite drastic at the moment and the cupboard seems to be bare as far as decent batters are concerned, i mean if Australia's best prospects are Hughes and Usman is it any wonder they are in trouble? :ph34r: and whilst Moises did impress in his first test, i wouldn't go over board because Kirk Edwards done well over there and Kraigg Brathwaite hit two 50s and averaged 32 in that series, but they were soon found out at different stages so it's too early to judge imo.

And as for the spinners!!!.. well the less said about that the better.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Playing in these conditions is pretty much like landing on an alien planet for most of these guys so pretty unfair to have a go at them for that, but what was truly disappointing was that the ball was ready to go reverse from the 13th over yet not a single quick was able to utilise that, one needs to bowl full to maximize the effect of reverse swing, but when we bowled full all we managed to do was bowl leg stump half volleys that kept tailing even further down leg.

Also is it me or was the ball keeping a lot more up and down when Aussie boys were batting compared to today?
Oz had to overbowl Patto and Siddle first thing because Clarke knew we had nothing to back them up

It was 30 odd degrees and they were stuffed very early doors

Fair play to the Indian batsmen as they simply played them out and waited for the inevitable

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, to be fair, Pujaja's not embarrassed by being called a "top quality batsman", early days as it is.
Heh ,was more to do with the fact that I doubt Maxwell has the tools to trouble Grade batsman, let alone those who are obviously test-class like Pujara.

pup11

International Coach
Amazing that some persons are still convince that Doherty has a role to play in our test team.O"keefe can provide that defensive option who unlike Doherty has picked up first class wickets at a very good average.We need to pick the best persons for the job and stop backing players just because they "MIGHT BE ABLE" to perform a role.Maxwell , Cowan and a few others fall in that category.Let's pick solid performers at domestic cricket or atleast players who have temperament / talent and some long term prospects(Henriques,Hughes ,Bailey and Khawaja).Let's allow players like Smith, Maxwell to gain experience at domestic level because that's where they belong.One good season shouldn"t be enough to convince the selectors that all of a sudden that such players are good enough.Let's persevere with Lyon and be ready to nurture Agar and Holland because they are the future.We need to stop trying to Convince ourselves that Watson is an opener. He can"t convert 20"s into hundred what makes us think he"ll start scoring hundreds against the brand new ball and fresh bowlers.
Smith is another Cameron White in the making, its such a shame because he was genuine prospect but he has put his bowling on the backburner and his batting alone won't keep him afloat for too long at this level, Maxwell atm is nothing more than a poor man's Andrew Symonds, but he is a genuine star in the making, the only thing is he has been pushed into test cricket too early.

As for our spin bowling woes, its high time we understood that you can't rely on a traditional finger spinner to win you games on Australian soil and history of Australian cricket is testament of the same, we need to develop good wrist spinners and men like Rixon certainly aren't going to do that, so we need to bring spin coaches who can train young kids, CA also needs to get of their high horse and understand that if an Australian kid learns to bowl a doosra or a mystery ball then it certainly won't be the end of the world .

social

Yeah, that's the thing. Doherty was as good as you could expect from him, but at the top of his game on a pitch that suits him he's taken 0/85. Even if we give him the one Wade dropped, I'd gladly risk that contribution (1/80 lets say) for someone who may be worse if he's not on top of his game but at least has the ability to be far better.

Lyon's problem has been that he's not executed his skills. Doherty doesn't have the skills.
This should be the message tattooed to our selectors' butts

Imagine being Clarke this morning when discussing the bowling lineup

Opening bowlers: Patto and Sidds

After that: I got nuthin' - nada, zip, jack diddly squat, a big fat goose-egg

Great test for everyone outside the test team to miss

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Only saw the first session but how long the pacers bowled indicated Clarkes faith in the spinners.

social

I really hope that Henriques can put together another score or 2 in the remainder of this series to make up for his inevitable lack of bowling success in India

Guy looks quality to me but asking him to be 3rd seamer is just nonsense and I'd hate to see him discarded just because our selectors are clueless

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
As much as i love to see Ozzies getting smacked!!

Cricket needs a Strong Australian side..

Historically Aus struggled in India...but they ran close on number of occasions...

But this is ridiculous....I can see no way how can they recover for remaining tests.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As much as i love to see Ozzies getting smacked!!

Cricket needs a Strong Australian side..

Historically Aus struggled in India...but they ran close on number of occasions...

But this is ridiculous....I can see no way how can they recover for remaining tests.
Nah. That's what they said about WI, and England, and Australia and whoever else. Cricket doesn't need any of it. It just needs good, close, fun contests. Regardless of who is at the top for the moment.