• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Howe_zat

Audio File
It will now take atleast 2/3 tests to get Vijay out of the team again. Probably more to get him out of the squad and contention which is pretty irritating.

Remember when we toured England in 2011 and selected Raina and Yuvraj ahead of Pujara because Raina had done well in the Windies. Had a argument with few people on here who were saying how Raina should be selected. Vijay has done it himself in the past, and is going to do a Raina again especially if he gets selected in SA. But now you can't drop him. Sigh.....
Enough of this bull****. The guy has come in and made a hundred after your openers have struggled to get anything for 2 ****ing years.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Enough of this bull****. The guy has come in and made a hundred after your openers have struggled to get anything for 2 ****ing years.
Haha, was about to post along the lines of that.

I don't see him covering himself in glory in SA as well, but I don't see any of the other options doing much better either tbf. Lets win this series first before thinking of SA anyways.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you weren't a QLDer it would've made it easier :happy:

I have to say I'm relived that was the case though.
There were some good points in the article, but Australia want wicket keeper allrounders, and while nobody should doubt he is the best wicket keeper in the country, he doesn't have the batting abiltity of Wade or Paine.

benchmark00

Missed the last session, seems standard. Didn't see Maxwell bowl a ball so can't comment, but jeez Siddle bowled absolute gash today didn't he.

Salamuddin

International Debutant

I don't see him covering himself in glory in SA as well, but I don't see any of the other options doing much better either tbf. Lets win this series first before thinking of SA anyways.
Reckon the bigger problem is at the other end - with Sehwag.

He looks done and dusted to me - certainly as a test opener anyway.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag made a more crucial ton last series, tbf and Gambhir made a battling 50 so all can play the one odd innings when given chance after chance, especially when there is no movement.

Raina rescued us against NZ and WI too, but you just knew it he wasn't a long term bet in tests. But still based on that he was selected ahead of Pujara ffs.

Not only that Raina/Yuvraj still keep coming back based on those 1/2 knocks and ODI exploits and looking out of sorts. Pretty much the same will happen with Vijay probably though he isn't good at ODI's either. Only been good in T20's so far and hyped up based on IPL.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Sehwag made a more crucial ton last series, tbf and Gambhir made a battling 50 so all can play the one odd innings when given chance after chance, especially when there is no movement.

Raina rescued us against NZ and WI too, but you just knew it he wasn't a long term bet in tests. But still based on that he was selected ahead of Pujara ffs.

Not only that Raina/Yuvraj still keep coming back based on those 1/2 knocks and ODI exploits and looking out of sorts. Pretty much the same will happen with Vijay probably though he isn't good at ODI's either. Only been good in T20's so far and hyped up based on IPL.
Cevno, be interested to hear who you think India's test openers should be.
I know you rate MUkund but from what I've seen of him, I don't think he's international material - any more so than Vijay anyway. Has some major flaws that top quality pace bowlers will take advantage of.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know you rate MUkund but from what I've seen of him, I don't think he's international material - any more so than Vijay anyway. Has some major flaws that top quality pace bowlers will take advantage of.
Yeah Cevno seems pretty critical of all India's opening options. Sehwag is finished, Gambhir hasn't scored runs in years, Vijay is rubbish and Rahane is out of form (and - according to Cevno - shouldn't be seen as an opener anyway). That'd leave an opening combination of something like Jaffer and Mukund, and erm hmm.

benchmark00

Btw, how gun is p00jara?? He's such a beast. Will go on to make 30 centuries. I still have question marks over his short ball play, but other than that I reckon he has the technique to succeed everywhere.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member

Vijay keeps coming back playing tests in India, despite not doing anything on A tours or domestic scene for the last couple of seasons and failing in the past in both Tests and ODI's.

But say a Mukund, who has better record than Vijay playing for the same State team and has also performed in A tours was only given a tour in Windies where he did better than Vijay and then thrown straight to the lambs in England. After that dropped and not even in contention till he again top scored on A tour to Newzealand. Why ? Just because Vijay is a IPL star.

He can score runs and play the good innings with good attacking strokes, but he is in the Raina/Yuvraj class for me. And dead set in his current form Jaffer would have done well this series too.

uvelocity

International Coach
Vijay keeps coming back playing tests in India, despite not doing anything on A tours or domestic scene for the last couple of seasons and failing in the past in both Tests and ODI's.

But say a Mukund, who has better record than Vijay playing for the same State team and has also performed in A tours was only given a tour in Windies where he did better than Vijay and then thrown straight to the lambs in England. After that dropped and not even in contention till he again top scored on A tour to Newzealand. Why ? Just because Vijay is a IPL star.

He can score runs and play the good innings with good attacking strokes, but he is in the Raina/Yuvraj class for me. And dead set in his current form Jaffer would have done well this series too.
scary ****s of things

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Gee, you're in a generous mood with that assertion. :laugh:
Well, to be fair, Pujaja's not embarrassed by being called a "top quality batsman", early days as it is.

Emburey was genuinely horrified by Maxwell's bowling in our Sky studio; said he doesn't have the control to contain far less pressurise test batsman.

Hard to disagree after today; bowls like a chap who's only just taken offies up which, for all I know, he may well be.

& That declaration's not looking any better, is it? In a few years when people look at the scorecard and see Oz's 237/9 dec and India's 1200/1 dec in reply it'll be a true WTF moment.

Briony

International Debutant
Can't believe Australia were stupid enough to
a) pick MAxwell
b) Not pick Johnson - a guys who actually has prior test experience in India and whose pace has troubled the Indians.
Johnson could be an awkward customer on these pitches and he can handle the bat.

Doherty doesn't look a test bowler but considering that India only lost one wicket today and they're bossing the match, he was fairly tidy and offered a few chances which went begging.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Cevno seems pretty critical of all India's opening options. Sehwag is finished, Gambhir hasn't scored runs in years, Vijay is rubbish and Rahane is out of form (and - according to Cevno - shouldn't be seen as an opener anyway). That'd leave an opening combination of something like Jaffer and Mukund, and erm hmm.
Firstly,I wanted Sehwag dropped ahead of Gambhir if they wanted to drop 1, but the selectors were probably balancing out the ODI dropping of Sehwag by dropping Gambhir from Tests. :p

For this series i would have picked Jaffer and Mukund if both Sehwag and Gambhir were to be dropped along with Jiwanjot/Chand/Dhawan as backup as i said here -

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/3005471-post334.html

If it was only one then i would have picked Gambhir, Jaffer and Mukund.

Anyways, thinking of the future in the medium term i fully expect Gambhir to come back, as he is a gritty customer.

In the more longer term Hopefully one of the younger openers like Jiwanjot/Chand amongst others can develop and more will emerge, but you need to back them and give them chances at the right time.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, what do people make of Sehwag ? Has done **** all since the World cup in all formats except the 1 odd innings. Is he done ?

Was having trouble with his eyesight too, and has started wearing spectacles this series but doesn't seem to be helping much.

Edit - Cue Sehwag tonning up next match now. :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Btw, what do people make of Sehwag ? Has done **** all since the World cup in all formats except the 1 odd innings. Is he done ?

Was having trouble with his eyesight too, and has started wearing spectacles this series but doesn't seem to be helping much.

Edit - Cue Sehwag tonning up next match now. :p
Think I posted in the first test that he looks shot to me

However, the problem in trying to assess a guy like him is that he has no technique to speak of and has literally always lived on the edge batting-wise so his supporters will claim that he is one edge falling safely away from another rampage

People should be objective and determine whether he is worth his place in the side on recent form

Given that it's India, the chances of it happening are slim to none

Briony

International Debutant
Always thought that Sehwag would be done once his eyes went because he doesn't move his feet which can be fatal for an opener. Would imagine that Gayle will face the same dilemma.