• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maxwell actually has decent FC stats, so is that just an indictment on Australian domestic cricket then?
If you look at any assessment of Maxwell on here, you'll see that many have pointed out how padded his resume is plus he has done nothing for more than a year

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cowan has the same strengths and weaknesses as Usman but the latter is far more talented and younger

Twatto is a massive problem for us as he is seemingly an automatic selection but does nothing to justify it

Happy if both were punted tbh
But ironically enough Khawaja has the same glaring problem as Watson - the inability to rotate strike/relieve pressure if the bowling is decent. Cowan at least has the tools to absorb it (usually, provided he puts his ****ing cover drive away).

Twatto's been a problem since he lost his opening spot through injury - not because of his position in the order, but because he doesn't look like scoring any bloody runs. You could deal with it to an extent when he was chipping in with vital wickets (like in South Africa) and we had the lower order strength of Hussey making runs for fun, but now that he's the only other experienced batsman in the side, it is concerning.

But if you drop him, you lose that experience.

IMO George Bailey wouldn't be too bad a fix if Clarke bites the bullet and moves up the order. Domestic cricket's most Hussey-like batsman in his approach to the game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Maxwell actually has decent FC stats, so is that just an indictment on Australian domestic cricket then?
His bowling is rubbish, don't know the percentages but I doubt many of his wickets were from classic off spin. He always bats at like 6 or 7, I guess 5 sometimes and he has shown an ability to cash in, but I don't think he has made many hard runs. Even Steve Smith has made more harder runs.

Aus domestic cricket is quite average though and has been for a couple of years. QLD are winning everything with a mediocre batting lineup and good but not great seam attack.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
All well and good having a decent attack but if the batting stays as woeful as it looks then the attack will only be keeping you in games rather than winning them.
How would England have gone in India if they lost their 2 most experienced batsmen - Cook and Pietersen - right before the series? They would have been flogged.

Well this is the scenario Australia are dealing with right now.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How would England have gone in India if they lost their 2 most experienced batsmen - Cook and Pietersen - right before the series? They would have been flogged.

We lost our most experienced batsman before the series as Strauss retired. Don't let that fact ruin your argument though.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
His bowling is rubbish, don't know the percentages but I doubt many of his wickets were from classic off spin. He always bats at like 6 or 7, I guess 5 sometimes and he has shown an ability to cash in, but I don't think he has made many hard runs. Even Steve Smith has made more harder runs.

Aus domestic cricket is quite average though and has been for a couple of years. QLD are winning everything with a mediocre batting lineup and good but not great seam attack.
This is something I'm always wary of with State batsmen picked for Test cricket. Making runs at 6 or 7 in a very strong Shield side batting behind the likes of Rogers, Quiney, D. Hussey, McDonald and White does not compare to top order runs.

That's why even though Khawaja has only averaged 40 in the Shield this year, I'm still happy with his stats.

Because he bats in the top order, his home pitch is the Gabba (which typically offers a lot to the pace bowlers in the Shield) and his highest score for the season was on a minefield at Tasmania against a way-better-than-Test-standard Tas attack :p No one else even passed 50 in that game and he cracked 138 against an attack of Bird, Butterworth, Faulkner, Doherty and the almighty Rainbird.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
FC stats can be misleading in Australia, matches played in Tas, QLD and WA are generally low scoring and pace bowlers do well - Adelaide is also becoming lower scoring. However the MCG in particular is proving to be reasonably easy to bat on. Also, Maxwell comes in to bat at number 7, and so he has some not outs and he doesn't face the best of the bowling. His own bowling has good stats but I think a lot of his wickets come from batsman trying to slog.

The reason why it's so bad is that there are players who have done so much more than him - SOK could do a much better job as a spin-bowling all-rounder, and anyone of Steve Smith, Khawaja, Joe Burns, and many other domestic batsmen could have pressed better cases for selection.

Spikey

I love how when thinking about possible 3rd test teams, Shane Watson ruins everything but I have no idea if he will actually be there

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
We lost our most experienced batsman before the series as Strauss retired. Don't let that fact ruin your argument though.
Yeah, bringing in a new opener and a perennial search for a number 6 bat didn't stop them from winning. And in Joe Root they found the answer to that question anyway.

Plus England's spin attack is infinitely better than ours, which did kinda help them.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No excuses for Oz but this wicket has nothing in it for the likes of Siddle

The last few balls Vijay has just plonked forward and hung the bat out

He's be screwed with that technique in Oz, SA, and England

Mr_Ronan

Banned
Strauss is not even in the same league as either Ponting or Hussey and had been weighing England down...his retirement actually enhanced the team not weakened it.

My point was that to claim that Australia have now begun what will be years of mediocrity is extremely premature. We've only played 1 and a bit Tests since Hussey's shock retirement so we're not just going to immediately be able to replace him and Hussey and maintain the same standards.

It's impossible to predict how our batting will look in a years time. I mean, who the hell would have predicted that Henriques would come in and bat like a maestro in both innings on debut in extremely tough circumstances? It's an unpredictable game.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

They had Swann and Panesar. So, perhaps a Murali Vijay couldn't have absolutely dominated their spinners.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yep exactly Ronan. I said it before but I don't give a **** if a batsman doesn't rotate the strike at the start of his innings, I just want another/a top 4 batsman who can stick around.

I'm fearful of the series where Clarke fails by the way.

Daemon

Flibb made a completely valid point tbh. He said the batting is currently woeful, what's the point of bringing up Ponting and Hussey? Dragging England into it just because he supports them is also pretty dire.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year

Doesn't explain why crappy "utility" players (all-rounders that do nothing are called utility players apparently) keep getting picked.

If we kept the winning batting line-up from Sydney against Sri Lanka only Hussey needs replacing, and that's where Moises comes in, so no real excuse anyway I'd say.

flibbertyjibber

No excuses for Oz but this wicket has nothing in it for the likes of Siddle

The last few balls Vijay has just plonked forward and hung the bat out

He's be screwed with that technique in Oz, SA, and England
Only the one in Kolkata had anything in it in our series. Totally lifeless and the pacemen were flogging a dead horse. Makes you appreciate how well Pattinson bowled in the last test to get a Michelle.