• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I was very optimistic about him at the start of the Australian summer but he's gone backwards.

His past 7 Tests have produced 293 runs at 24. It's a pity because I thought he would be very handy in blunting the new ball in England (particularly after his great form on the Aus A tour of Eng last year and solid form vs SA).

He is very fortunate that Watto is going home, because the only alternative opener left on tour is Hughes (unless they sprung a surprise with Khawaja) and he's in worse form than Ed.
I like Ed. Hence why I defend him at any opportunity. I still think his style of play is the perfect foil to Warner, especially when the alternative is a similarly-aggressive, similarly-boundary heavy and non-scoring Shane Watson. But FMD, even I'm now at the point where I can accept his performances aren't good enough.

Which is a shame, because I still reckon he has all the tools to be a gun opener for us in England. Hopefully he can make a trillion early-season runs in County Cricket and force the selectors to pick him, and then he can take the chance in the Ashes. And let's be honest, he's far more likable than Twatto.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This Australia is like the post-2000 West Indies.

West Indies lost their no. 1 status by early 90s, but they still had Ambrose, Walsh, Lara - and were a very good team throughout the 90s. With both Ambrose and Walsh retiring, they became an average team post 1999-2000, in spite of Lara (and to an extent Chanderpaul).

Australia weren't the no. 1 team in the last few years, but they were a good team even after losing McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Waugh, Hayden, Langer. Now with Ponting and Hussey retiring, they remind me of the post-2000 West Indies team.

Last edited:

Mr_Ronan

Banned
Aussies last roll of the dice coming up. Patto and Siddle will have to go crazy with the new ball or the game is truly done and dusted.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like Ed. Hence why I defend him at any opportunity. I still think his style of play is the perfect foil to Warner, especially when the alternative is a similarly-aggressive, similarly-boundary heavy and non-scoring Shane Watson. But FMD, even I'm now at the point where I can accept his performances aren't good enough.

Which is a shame, because I still reckon he has all the tools to be a gun opener for us in England. Hopefully he can make a trillion early-season runs in County Cricket and force the selectors to pick him, and then he can take the chance in the Ashes. And let's be honest, he's far more likable than Twatto.
Cowan has the same strengths and weaknesses as Usman but the latter is far more talented and younger

Twatto is a massive problem for us as he is seemingly an automatic selection but does nothing to justify it

Happy if both were punted tbh

Mr_Ronan

Banned

This is exactly the view I've always had on him. But like you said it's impossible to defend him anymore. Even against the woeful SL attack in friendly Aussie conditions he was poor.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well hey at least sachin won't get to score his comeback ton in this game.

(he won't get a bat)

Daemon

70 from the last 10 overs now. They've really cashed in after investing in the first session.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
This Australia is like the post-2000 West Indies.

West Indies lost their no. 1 status by early 90s, but they still had Ambrose, Walsh, Lara - and were a very good team throughout the 90s. With both Ambrose and Walsh retiring, they became an average team post 1999-2000, in spite of Lara (and to an extent Chanderpaul).

Australia weren't the no. 1 team in the last few years, but they were a good team even after losing McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Waugh, Hayden, Langer. Now with Ponting retiring and Hussey absent, they remind me of the post-2000 West Indies team.
It's a bit early for such comparisons champ. We're only 1 Test and 2 days play into the post-Hussey era!!

Things are dire in this series, no doubt, but even the great Aussie team of 1995-2007 struggled in India so let's not get too carried away just yet.

The selectors were completely taken by surprise by the retirements of Ponting and Hussey, both of whom had indicated they would play the Ashes. So to suddenly and unexpectedly have to replace your two most experienced batsmen is no mean feat!!

In Henriques they have already unearthed one player who, on the evidence so far, is a brilliant all-round prospect. They've also got a batallion of young pace bowlers aged under 25 which is better than that boasted by any other nation.

So let's just keep things in perspective.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Pujara is a class above, Maxwell looks inoccuous with the ball, so I can't see him getting another gig soon. I had no idea the Aus bowling would be this poor, the batting as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Maxwell and Doherty in our countries XI is like going to the best steak restaurant and having turd as the sauce instead of the pepper.

It just turns the entire meal/cricketing experience into a massive ****.

flibbertyjibber

It's a bit early for such comparisons champ. We're only 1 Test and 2 days play into the post-Hussey era!!

Things are dire in this series, no doubt, but even the great Aussie team of 1995-2007 struggled in India so let's not get too carried away just yet.

The selectors were completely taken by surprise by the retirements of Ponting and Hussey, both of whom had indicated they would play the Ashes. So to suddenly and unexpectedly have to replace your two most experienced batsmen is no mean feat!!

In Henriques they have already unearthed one player who, on the evidence so far, is a brilliant all-round prospect. They've also got a batallion of young pace bowlers aged under 25 which is better than that boasted by any other nation.

So let's just keep things in perspective.
All well and good having a decent attack but if the batting stays as woeful as it looks then the attack will only be keeping you in games rather than winning them.