Page 214 of 711 FirstFirst ... 114164204212213214215216224264314 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 10658
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Ashwin has a decent chance of getting his bowling average under 30 by the end of this innings. I wonder if he can average over 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball over his career. Has anyone done that since Aubrey Faulkner?

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I've always been surprised at the vitriol Indian fans seem to generally have for Dhoni.
    You really think so?

You have got it wrong mate. Dhoni is almost in the same place for the Indian cricket fans where Sachin used to be I said almost remember but it is still a very high pedestal indeed.
    Of course Indians run down their heroes. They do it all the time and have been doing it for generations - what's new about that. But trust me Dhoni is not yet God but he is getting there.

The only people who know where a cricketer stands viz-a-viz the public are those who put the big bucks on them viz the advertisers and as far as they are concerned Dhoni overtook Sachin a few years ago.

No Dhoni does not get Vitriol from the Indian public. It is the stones the religious zealots have thrown at their Gods and their temples when the Gods have not done their bidding :o) . . . or, more often, shown themselves to be human !
    Last edited by SJS; 24-02-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Ashwin has a decent chance of getting his bowling average under 30 by the end of this innings. I wonder if he can average over 40 with the bat and under 30 with the ball over his career. Has anyone done that since Aubrey Faulkner?
    If Ashwin finishes his career with a Test batting average over 40 I'll eat Howe's other shoe.
    ~ Cribbage

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    That was not lack of concentration. Merely his inability to cope with the bowling/conditions and a desperate attempt to slog his way out of being made to look so inept. He has done it many times and he is not the only cricketer to do so. To suggest that those shots were a result of a lack of concentration is, strangely, both an attempt to explain away his deficiencies as a batsman as well as to run him down for not taking his responsibility and concentrating. It is neither. He just realised he was not able to cope and decided his next best option was to try and get a few with other methods.

When wickets used to be uncovered and extremely difficult batting conditions would sometimes prevail, those who could not bat like Hobbs or Sutcliffe or even Jardine, sometimes tried to hit their way out, mostly with the poor results that Dhoni got in England but in some rare cases with some spectacular quick runs.

There is a very famous name who used to do that when faced with such conditions and no one can ever blame HIM (yes he deserves the capitals) of not trying hard enough to concentrate.

His name Donald George Bradman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah, but he never had to face Nathan Lyon
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    That was not lack of concentration. Merely his inability to cope with the bowling/conditions and a desperate attempt to slog his way out of being made to look so inept. He has done it many times and he is not the only cricketer to do so. To suggest that those shots were a result of a lack of concentration is, strangely, both an attempt to explain away his deficiencies as a batsman as well as to run him down for not taking his responsibility and concentrating. It is neither. He just realised he was not able to cope and decided his next best option was to try and get a few with other methods.
    From what I recall Dhoni didn't get out that way at all. He regularly poked outside the offstump edging to Prior and co and left one from Anderson that came in and took the offstump. They were all very poor shots but by no means slogs, and neither was he trying to go hard at the English bowlers to hit his way into form.

In fact the only time he did go aggressive was in the 3rd test where he actually batted well and scored two fifties.
    Last edited by Daemon; 24-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.

australia is really only on 17.5 as these runs only count for half
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Cricinfo with an interesting comment. Maybe Harby's inclusion wasn't entirely Dhoni's idea - so he might just be giving Dhoni enough room to prove that he shouldn't be picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Banned
    Gavaskar at it again! Now he's claiming it was wrong for the silly mid off to be involved in an LBW appeal as he can't be sure it was going to hit the stumps from where he is!

By his logic then, only 2 players should ever be involved in LBW appeals...the bowler and keeper as they're the only ones who have the correct angle from which to assess an LBW.

I'm sure if we watched highlights of India from any ofn his games, only those 2 players ever appealed for LBWs, especially in pressure-packed situation

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Cricinfo with an interesting comment. Maybe Harby's inclusion wasn't entirely Dhoni's idea - so he might just be giving Dhoni enough room to prove that he shouldn't be picked.
    that's quite the conspiracy theory - get him back in the team so he can be out of the team...

Of course Indians run down their heroes. They do it all the time and have been doing it for generations - what's new about that. But trust me Dhoni is not yet God but he is getting there.

I think that's much more a universal thing than an Indian thing. That's just the way it goes everywhere. You can just check out the almost gleeful celebrations when everyone from Tiger Woods to Lance Armstrong are 'dismantled'. I think it's just human response in some ways.

If anything, I think in India, people tend to be more protective than usual of their heroes - especially world class sportsmen, as India has had a shocking scarcity of them across the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    that's quite the conspiracy theory - get him back in the team so he can be out of the team...
    No, I think the point is that someone else picked him against Dhoni's will. Not that Dhoni decided on the selection.

Although it must be said, Dhoni doesn't seem to like Ojha very much - he always uses him much more defensively than (IMO) he should. And always refers to him as such too.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think that's much more a universal thing than an Indian thing. That's just the way it goes everywhere. You can just check out the almost gleeful celebrations when everyone from Tiger Woods to Lance Armstrong are 'dismantled'. I think it's just human response in some ways.

If anything, I think in India, people tend to be more protective than usual of their heroes - especially world class sportsmen, as India has had a shocking scarcity of them across the decades.
    Indian fans in general criticize their cricketers when they do poorly mercilessly, but when foreigners attack the cricketers for legit reasons they take it personally and fiercely defend them.

Except the ones of CW of course, we're all top quality

Banned
    Now that was a ridiculous appeal from India...missed bat and gloves by a mile and thudded into his shoulder!!! WTF?? Their appealing boggles the mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Indian fans in general criticize their cricketers when they do poorly mercilessly, but when foreigners attack the cricketers for legit reasons they take it personally and fiercely defend them.

Except the ones of CW of course, we're all top quality
    That again, is pretty universal. Generally if you're fan of a team, you're allowed to criticize it more than other fan. I don't like that rule, but I do think it holds pretty true. People do get offended more if someone says something about a team if it's an opposing fan saying it than the exact same thing said by the home fan. Probably because there is more a trust in the home fan that he's saying it out of frustration, or just from wanting the team to do well rather than some other motive.

okay yeah those two balls in the last few minutes are pretty unplayable.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Thread Information