• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just don't get that line of thinking. It's like Watson is being punished for not being able to bowl.

If you forget he was even a bowler, and just match him up against Cowan:

- On the batting front, as opener he averages 43 versus Cowan 34

- On the fielding front, he is an important member of our depleted, behind the bat catching cordon (especially since Hussey and Ponting pulled the pin) versus Cowan who is a limited fieldsman

- On the leadership front, he is the vice-captain versus Cowan who has no leadership role at all

So, on what basis should Cowan be selected ahead of him?

For what it is worth, such is the dearth of middle order players, I would have both Watson and Cowan in the team. But to say that Watson shouldn't be there at all if he doesn't bowl, is to advocate Cowan in front of him.
He's been in **** batting form for more than a year though. It's not that he can't do it, it's that he's done bugger all for ages

the big bambino

International Captain
If it came to a choice btwn Watson and Cowan I'd go Watto. He gives you an off setting rightie to Warner and is just a better player than Cowan even before the bowling is figured in. Personally would go with both and move Watto to 6. But Arthur seems to want to shift Wade there to accomodate someone like Smith or Maxwell. Therefore the music stops playing for either Watto or Cowan it seems.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would definitely prefer both Watson and Cowan to Khawaja/Bailey/Doolan/other random reserve batsman at this point. It doesn't matter if they pick someone else at six; there are still two spots in the rest of the top five for those blokes to fill.

Last edited:

Spikey

Warnie's Manifesto to be released at 5pm
gonna mention ian chappell 5 times

meanwhile ed smith with a decent article

Ed Smith : Ed Smith: The vexed task of managing player workloads | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

The rotation policy row reveals another fault line within Australian cricket. The spirit that inspired the great teams of the 1970s was the Australian instinct and talent for self-reliance: figure it out for yourself, stand on your own two feet, be your own coach, don't rely on the system. It still has its passionate defenders in the media today, and of course there is a lot to be said for it.

But sport has evolved, never more starkly than in the area of physical recovery and conditioning. You only have to look at tennis to see how support teams are enhancing performance. We don't know exactly how Novak Djokovic recovers between matches, but we do know it isn't by saying: "Mate, she'll be right, I've used the same formula for years - a few beers and a night out, then a hard jog on the roads to sweat out the alcohol the next day. No need for this rest and ice bath rubbish." No, Djokovic trusts his support staff to give him the best possible schedule to aid his playing schedule.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
David Warner
Ed Cowan
Phil Hughes
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
George Bailey
Matthew Wade
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon

Glenn Maxwell
Brad Haddin
Jackson Bird
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Steve O'Keefe

That's my squad. Haters can suck it. It won't get picked - I'm sure Johnson will be there, Khawaja will probably be there (and fair enough too after being first reserve all summer) and O'Keefe/Coulter-Nile have basically no chance, but that's what I'm rolling with.

Spikey

good squad. nsw can't afford to lose moz 'cause we'll replace him with abbott and we can't afford to lose smith because we'll replace him with david dawson. sok is easily replaced and so is haddin. although i guess we run the risk of david dawson replacing nev who is replacing haddin

hey australia, pick david dawson

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Warnie's Manifesto to be released at 5pm
Haven't looked forward to any sort of manifesto or review since your CW, nah actually world famous review.

Khawaja is a serious gun.
Yeah kind of, I never understand how selectors think Khawaja couldn't do the job that Cowan is doing.

David Warner
Ed Cowan
Phil Hughes
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
George Bailey
Matthew Wade
James Pattinson
Peter Siddle
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon

Glenn Maxwell
Brad Haddin
Jackson Bird
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Steve O'Keefe

That's my squad. Haters can suck it. It won't get picked - I'm sure Johnson will be there, Khawaja will probably be there (and fair enough too after being first reserve all summer) and O'Keefe/Coulter-Nile have basically no chance, but that's what I'm rolling with.
Yessssssssss. Am I seeing things though, you are actually selecting Bailey and Coulter-Nile, I thought you didn't rate either of them, obviously that's changed for the good!

Overall I really like the squad but I probably wouldn't bother selecting Haddin, opting for the Queenslander Khawaja with Haddin coming into the squad only if Wade gets injured.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haven't looked forward to any sort of manifesto or review since your CW, nah actually world famous review.

Yeah kind of, I never understand how selectors think Khawaja couldn't do the job that Cowan is doing.

Yessssssssss. Am I seeing things though, you are actually selecting Bailey and Coulter-Nile, I thought you didn't rate either of them, obviously that's changed for the good!

Overall I really like the squad but I probably wouldn't bother selecting Haddin, opting for the Queenslander Khawaja with Haddin coming into the squad only if Wade gets injured.
I've rated NCN for ages now. Still not a big Bailey fan but I just think he's better than the alternatives for the spot, really.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I've rated NCN for ages now. Still not a big Bailey fan but I just think he's better than the alternatives for the spot, really.
He is my boi.

Peter Siddle
George Bailey
Usman Khawaja
Nathan Coulter-Nile
James Faulkner (shorter formats)

---------------------------------
Joe Burns is close and I'm watching Peter Handscomb closely too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He is my boi.

Peter Siddle
George Bailey
Usman Khawaja
Nathan Coulter-Nile
James Faulkner (shorter formats)

---------------------------------
Joe Burns is close and I'm watching Peter Handscomb closely too.
I also like Burns and Handscomb ftr. Faulkner can diaf though.