• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha. I'm all for home pitches and Ill defend that forever. But doesn't sit right to specifically change the preparation in one area where the opposition bowler happens to bowl. If that was done at, say, Lord's, there'd be an outcry.
Yeah I agree, once you start changing the way a pitch normally plays to gain an advantage or, as mentioned in this article, are selective in the areas you water etc then I think that's going a bit far. Local weather conditions should determine how the pitch plays, not local curators. If conditions dictate there's normally a lot of turn so be it, same with movement off the deck for the quick bowlers.

Son Of Coco

Whinging about this pitch is dumb imo. Sure if there is a total mudhole which is bad watching - different story. But that was an interesting test with performances from each side. Just one really stood out. I mean even at 38th grade park standard teams put the hats out further if it suits them. Tassie was making greentops because it suited them
It does rain a bit in Tassie. Kind of helps the production of greentops rather than dustbowls.
I don't think the pitch was unfair, the test went to the last day. A couple of balls did some pretty interesting things, but overall it turned a lot as you'd expect and we couldn't handle it.

Son Of Coco

"Doctored" implies the two teams played on two different pitches, or it was unfair in some way. Learn2play.
Personally I think doctored means changed to play differently to how it usually does. If you turned up to the Gabba after a year of normal weather conditions and found a raging turner that offered little for the quick men then you'd be a bit suspicious (if Australia found itself 3 decent spinners and were trying to play to their strengths that is).

If you turn up after a year where there's been normal weather conditions and it's pretty lively with a bit in it for the quick men in the first couple of days however then it's kind of what you'd expect.

Spark

Global Moderator
Spark should change his sig tbh.
nah it's still funny

---

I don't even mind doctored conditions a huge amount (though within reason). But the preparation of the pitch should be the same across the whole pitch, the better comparison to the thing in the article would be if we decided to leave a ton of grass outside the right-handers' off stump compared to outside the left-handers' because we have tons of left handers and the oppo don't, for example.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
nah it's still funny

---

I don't even mind doctored conditions a huge amount (though within reason). But the preparation of the pitch should be the same across the whole pitch, the better comparison to the thing in the article was if we decided to leave a ton of grass outside the right-handers' off stump compared to outside the left-handers' because we have tons of left handers and the oppo don't, for example.
Yeah, agree. If the curator wants to prepare a pitch to suit the home side then I haven't got a problem with that, but if he wants to prepare half the pitch to suit the home side then...

It goes beyond just playing to the strengths of your skills and delves into the realm of playing to the coincidental makeup of your side.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So in summary, everyone sees the difference between doing that, which we agree is going too far, and just producing a turner except social.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, agree. If the curator wants to prepare a pitch to suit the home side then I haven't got a problem with that, but if he wants to prepare half the pitch to suit the home side then...

It goes beyond just playing to the strengths of your skills and delves into the realm of playing to the coincidental makeup of your side.
I dunno. I want to agree but the line's still pretty blurry.

There are good reasons why offspin doesn't really work in Australia, or didn't a few years ago, and so when Australia went to India with a world class spinner he was in all likelihood naturally going to be a leggie.

You can't really say that the makeup of your side is coincidental, it's usually going to spring from how your country plays cricket, often to be due to conditions.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

There are good reasons why offspin doesn't really work in Australia, or didn't a few years ago, and so when Australia went to India with a world class spinner he was in all likelihood naturally going to be a leggie.

You can't really say that the makeup of your side is coincidental, it's usually going to spring from how your country plays cricket, often to be due to conditions.
I was more talking about Spark's example though, which I think is in effect the same thing that they did here. If you've got a stack of left handers in your team, that's a coincidence, and having the curator prepare different parts of the pitch differently because of that really has nothing to do with developing different skills for different conditions, or playing to your strengths. I don't think what happened here is really any different.

Spark

Global Moderator

My example is different though, in that case you're creating the situation where the teams are effectively playing on two different surfaces.

social

Yeah pretty much :laugh:
I repeat, where the **** did I criticise the pitch?

I criticised the attitude of India's players who come out in the media every day demanding a dust bowl and then whinging when they lose on one - they are weak as piss

Let's not forget that Jono's manbro Mr Kohli has spent the last 18 months blaming his side's thrashing in Oz on green-tops produced to favour the home side

OK, let's name 1 pitch in Oz that behaved differently to what it does for every single game during that season

Anyone?

Anyone??

Anyone??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No, I didnt think so

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
One pitch ? Pretty sure the Perth pitch where you lost was supposed to be quicker than it was for a while. All the talk was about how Tait was gonna blow Indian batsman away.

Anyway, the thing is Indian pitches generally except 1/2 don't behave one way throughout the season in any case. And even it varies from pitch to pitch throughout the square. Chennai can be a road one FC match, and a turner the next. Both with low bounce as that is the natural soil value.

Not sure what your gripe is ? As if Indian pitches aren't prepared properly then most will be crumbling turners anyway and even worse ones than the last one, especially in summers or roads without breaking up, especially in winters.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
According to the article this curator did not doctor the pitch differently in different parts to help one side's spinners more than the other, but did so just to give it an appearance of holding together while still assisting spinners. What's the fuss about? What he did was clever and the fact that Pattinson got a fiver only vindicates that.

What he may have done for Warne 15 years ago shouldn't be discussed now anyways. Though I agree that that's little over the line but I don't know if he is just making it up now.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I repeat, where the **** did I criticise the pitch?
Why is it any worse than, say, the Chennai pitch?

After all, that was prepared specifically to negate the impact of 3 Australian bowlers not just one
That aside, no one actually cares whether you criticized the pitch or not, they just disagree with your view that preparing a turner is the same as what the curator allegedly did all those years ago. Majority think the latter is going too far.

I criticised the attitude of India's players who come out in the media every day demanding a dust bowl and then whinging when they lose on one - they are weak as piss

Let's not forget that Jono's manbro Mr Kohli has spent the last 18 months blaming his side's thrashing in Oz on green-tops produced to favour the home side

OK, let's name 1 pitch in Oz that behaved differently to what it does for every single game during that season

Anyone?

Anyone??

Anyone???????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????

No, I didnt think so
This has been done to death. Everyone knows Indian players love a good whinge and aren't willing to accept that they sucked when they did. It's got nothing to do with the article or this discussion at all and I have no idea why you brought it up.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
When teams lose they whinge..All teams do..some teams use weather, food, bouncer, bcci etc as excuse ..btw the longest whinge in cricket history is Bodyline according to some..so India when you lose whinge :)

Last edited: