Page 13 of 711 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Wasn't much different to Panesar's natural arc though, he's never really gotten much overspin on the ball.
    Yeah no doubt; the pitches in that series just really suited his natural style.

I still think overspin is really important in India; you just have to be able to do it at pace and get the ball up and down quickly. As you suggested, it's not a matter of of getting Lyon to show up and bowl in the high 80s/low 90s because he does that he gets no shape on the ball at all and not enough revs in general; Panesar is someone whose natural pace is just pretty quick. I think the best example was probably Harbhajan at his peak, who bowled quickly enough through the air to get the ball to spit off those wickets, but still did it with a natural dipping arc because he was imparting a lot of spin on the ball anyway. Panesar's never got much overspin but he still did bowl with some in India; his trajectory wasn't flat.

The idea that O'Keefe, Doherty etc bowl faster through the air is correct, but I still don't think they'd be well suited to Indian conditions. It's not so much their natural, optimum pace for imparting maximum revolutons on the ball ala Panesar as it is just the pace the bowl at to perform the role their state sides want them to play.

The pitches could be different yet again when Australia tour anyway though; they were certainly quite a bit different last time Australia last toured to what they were like in the series against England just gone.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Come back in, spinner: Xavier Doherty set to earn recall for Australia's Test tour of India | The Courier-Mail

QUOTE]Selectors could not help but be impressed by Doherty's head-turning 3-21 against Sri Lanka in Hobart, particularly his stunning dismissal of Sri Lankan middle-order weapon Dinesh Chandimal.

Chandimal had no idea about the Doherty delivery that pitched on off-stump and straightened, playing nowhere near it as the ball went on to knock over middle and off stumps.[/QUOTE]

Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Okay what the ****. Are News Ltd just writing an article about each vaguely half-decent spin option and trotting them out on queue?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

"particularly his stunning dismissal of Sri Lankan middle-order weapon Dinesh Chandimal."

i guess it was stunning, but it wasn't in the way they're saying

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Okay what the ****. Are News Ltd just writing an article about each vaguely half-decent spin option and trotting them out on queue?
    Still wouldn't explain the D'oherty write up, tbf.

He's a complete hack at test level, however good his limited overs form might be.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Doherty's taken two wickets in four Shield games this season at an average of 80.
    With Lyon currently having the figures of 0/77 from today's Shield outing he is currently into his fifth match this season and has taken 6 wickets at an average of 80.5 .

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    With Lyon currently having the figures of 0/77 from today's Shield outing he is currently into his fifth match this season and has taken 6 wickets at an average of 80.5 .
    Yeah but how the incumbents go in Shield cricket shouldn't really matter much.

really with australian spinners stats don't matter much.

When they're going that terribly I think it deserves some notice

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah but how the incumbents go in Shield cricket shouldn't really matter much.
    Is it a guarantee he'll play though? I mean, this is a guy who looked as unthreathening as it gets on a 5th day pitch which was giving turn. Yeah, he's played near enough twenty Tests but I'm sure touring traditional offies haven't been much chop recently.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey;3003590
    Chandimal had no idea about the Doherty delivery that pitched on off-stump and straightened, playing nowhere near it as the ball went on to knock over middle and off stumps.[/QUOTE
    Hardly a ringing endorsement towards Doherty there. Wow, he got it to straighten!

Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Is it a guarantee he'll play though? I mean, this is a guy who looked as unthreathening as it gets on a 5th day pitch which was giving turn. Yeah, he's played near enough twenty Tests but I'm sure touring traditional offies haven't been much chop recently.
    Given the alternatives, absolutely.

Lyon isn't a strike bowler but he does fulfill a useful role in the team. We can't expect more in India. Hope the Indians don't take to him and leave our quicks to get wickets. Pick the backup to do the same. I'd prefer O'Keefe over the others.

Thread Information