• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

uvelocity

International Coach
How about we find some batsmen before we start worry about chucking an off-spinner who averages just over 30 despite having to bowl half his overs in Australia?
its no doubt come about due to england succeeding with 2 spinners there recently, off the back of losing the first test picking only swann. would rather we picked 4 quicks or even two spinners than go for glenn bopara or ravi smith though - that clearly won't work.

The other thing is people underestimate the gap between a doherty/hauritz/beer compared to maxwell/dussey/smith. Just because the stats happen to not show much between, the knowledge of the craft and the actual job that can be done at a given time is chalk and cheese.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't realize you were Nathan Lyon. I apologize for saying you're not a great bowler, but sadly you're not.
:laugh:

I'm very inclined to agree with Spark, however. Spin bowling isn't the problem in the Australian Test team; batting is.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice work. It's personal.

I didn't realize you were Nathan Lyon. I apologize for saying you're not a great bowler, but sadly you're not.

You might out-bowl Swann, but that might not be a measure of your greatness.... (ie, Swann has a shocker and takes 4 wickets in 10 tests while you take 3).

_____

For some reason you're allowed to be absolutely convinced that Lyon is awesome and I'm not allowed to be convinced that he's crap. When I try and point out that he's crap and doesn't get wickets against the stronger teams, people respond with "don't you watch cricket?"
Well, yes I do. That's the point.
Lol mate, it became personal when you said "if you're man enough", not when I continued on in that vein. It's not my fault if you have a glass jaw.

Lyon is the best spin bowler in the country at the moment. He's the best by quite a margin. O'Keefe is decent but Lyon is better in my opnion. You posted earlier that Lyon's taking a spot which should be used by a fast bowler, yet you're advocating O'Keefe in the side one or two posts earlier. So which is it?

Burgey

what's with all these new posters, I thought school holidays were nearly finished?
Kids bored in the last couple of weeks. It's dragging out. Mum's let them on the lap top, and now we are all the better for it

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Lol mate, it became personal when you said "if you're man enough", not when I continued on in that vein. It's not my fault if you have a glass jaw.
Well you were man enough to respond :p

Lyon is the best spin bowler in the country at the moment. He's the best by quite a margin. O'Keefe is decent but Lyon is better in my opnion. You posted earlier that Lyon's taking a spot which should be used by a fast bowler, yet you're advocating O'Keefe in the side one or two posts earlier. So which is it?
Yes.

That is, I fully believe one needs a slow bowling option. I'm not convinced any of the spinners in Oz are 'decent' at test level (Lyon's stats will adjust back to where they should be in time). So pick 4 quicks. Which then leaves us needing someone who can bowl 'slow' and bat a bit. O'Keefe fits the bill as a number 7, allowing us to pick 4 quicks when required.

Burgey

Well you were man enough to respond :p

Yes.

That is, I fully believe one needs a slow bowling option. I'm not convinced any of the spinners in Oz are 'decent' at test level (Lyon's stats will adjust back to where they should be in time). So pick 4 quicks. Which then leaves us needing someone who can bowl 'slow' and bat a bit. O'Keefe fits the bill as a number 7, allowing us to pick 4 quicks when required.
I'd love to see SOK kick on and hope he does. If Twatto isn't going to bowl then what you're saying might come to pass I guess. There'll be more pressure on the spinner.

Really, watto needs to man up and bowl. The side is so much more flexible and a spinner can always play if he's there as a fourth quick. Otherwise they need to start grooming MMarsh ASAP.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
I'd love to see SOK kick on and hope he does. If Twatto isn't going to bowl then what you're saying might come to pass I guess. There'll be more pressure on the spinner.

Really, watto needs to man up and bowl. The side is so much more flexible and a spinner can always play if he's there as a fourth quick. Otherwise they need to start grooming MMarsh ASAP.
Yeah I'm sold on MMarsh too.

I've had a gutful of Watto missing every second test match. Play him as an opening batsman only, and should a real talent emerge at shield level he can be replaced.

Burgey

In other news, a great day for Ricky Ponting today as he got to meet Burgeinho at Winston Hills shops.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
:laugh:

I'm very inclined to agree with Spark, however. Spin bowling isn't the problem in the Australian Test team; batting is.
Spin bowling is a bit of problem still going into India given the nature of the pitches that they produced in the England series, its going to be very difficult for our quicks to get much out of the pitch so we will need Lyon to take some top order poles.

We'll definitely have to name a second spinner in the touring party and it wouldn't be absolutely terrible to name even a third spinner to travel with the squad in a development capacity just to be a net bowler to help out our bats. Preferably, the third spinner wouldn't be a regular for his state side.