• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2012/13

shankar

International Debutant
The weird thing is that he actually got dropped, proceeded to average 48 or something in domestic cricket, and then still got recalled in place of someone who was actually performing pretty well.

It's not like he's forced his way back in, or improved his game, or that his replacement was deemed inadequate, or even just that he was persisted with consistently. Just weird.
Apart from it being a poor selection, there's something very shady about his recall. I was watching the final day morning of the Irani trophy match. The team for this series was going to be selected in the afternoon. Despite him looking just slightly better than usual on a real turner, the likes of Bhogle and Sivaramakrishnan were going on about how he was a changed bowler, looking like Bhajji of old etc...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is a good post.

Too many people saw Monty and said "oh you gotta bowl quick and flat'.

Monty's speed was good for the Mumbai wicket fo sho. But he threw it up and then surprised them with quicker balls.
As I kept saying too, that's Monty's natural pace. He can bowl at that pace while still putting a lot of revs on the ball and getting the ball to dip to some extent. You can't just copy him by bowling quicker through the air if it's unnatural to your action and the shape you usually put on the ball or we might as well just play Doherty or Voges. Lyon has to bowl at his own optimum pace for getting the ball to dip, and that's a little slower than what he's been bowling out for the last few Tests he's played.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah but the occasional handy innings doesn't make up for averaging 41 as a frontline Test bowler. FORTY ONE. Would have been better off playing an extra paceman given there was reasonable depth in that area.
Flintoff would've made an extra paceman a bit redundant though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah but the occasional handy innings doesn't make up for averaging 41 as a frontline Test bowler. FORTY ONE. Would have been better off playing an extra paceman given there was reasonable depth in that area.
With Fred we already had four front line seamers, plus Colly's little wobblers later on too. A fifth with no spin looks like overkill to me.

Henriques looks pretty much straight up and down; no work on the ball at all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
all the Aussies
Burgey doesn't constitute all the Aussies ffs. Just because Jono keeps carrying on about him saying it doesn't mean there's a whole legion of Australians with that opinion.

How would you like it if I found an Englishman who thought Bopara was a better bowler than Onions and then kept straw manning the entire English population based upon it?

It's one bloke, and it's ****ing annoying.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Burgey doesn't constitute all the Aussies ffs. Just because Jono keeps carrying on about him saying it doesn't mean there's a whole legion of Australians with that opinion.

How would you like it if I found an Englishman who thought Bopara was a better bowler than Onions and then kept straw manning the entire English population based upon it?

It's one bloke, and it's ****ing annoying.
Come on; he's barely a better batsman.