Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Sarah Taylor to (possibly) play County 2nd XI cricket

  1. #1
    State Captain Chubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,865

    Sarah Taylor to (possibly) play County 2nd XI cricket

    Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere.

    Sarah Taylor, the England women's wicketkeeper and probably the best female cricketer in the world (that is debatable), may play for Sussex 2nd XI next year.

    News Article

    Interview with Taylor

    Mike Selvey analyses the challenge she will face

    FWIW I think this is a great idea. She has incredible hand-eye coordination and a pretty sound technique, there is no reason why she couldn't perform at that level. I doubt she'd be more than a good keeper who contributes useful runs (mid-20s average at best) but even that would be better than anything most guys could do and a fine achievement.
    Last edited by Chubb; 15-01-2013 at 03:07 AM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

  2. #2
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Posts
    5,256
    Good on her for having a go at men's cricket. I don't see why she wouldn't be able to perform, especially with the gloves.

    I'd even wager that she's #BetterThanWade behind the stumps.

  3. #3
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,410
    None of the links seem to work for me.

    Absolutely no reason why she shouldn't if she's good enough tho.

    Think the extra pace will take some adjusting to, having seem the speed international female seamers send 'em down at.
    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

  4. #4
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Defs wouldn't be explosive enough to take the tough chances. Sounds like a stunt.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.


  5. #5
    State Captain Chubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,865
    Links fixed. Apologies, was posting from work...

  6. #6
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,094
    she'll also have to make sure she wears the crotch and breast guards because men like to aim at the body
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  7. #7
    State Regular L Trumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    she'll also have to make sure she wears the crotch and breast guards because men like to aim at the body
    eh!? Most of the batsmen wear them too.

  8. #8
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Mark Cosgrove is a big user of breast guards.

  9. #9
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,236
    I'm a big fan of the women's game so I'm pleased to see this happen. I have a feeling she'll be alright at this level; although as others mentioned, the extra pace might prove to be difficult to handle compared to what she's normally used to.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

  10. #10
    International Coach grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not looking at the flowers.
    Posts
    13,935
    Possible she could 'keep to Amjad Khan who is fairly rapid.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  11. #11
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    I'm a big fan of the women's game so I'm pleased to see this happen. I have a feeling she'll be alright at this level; although as others mentioned, the extra pace might prove to be difficult to handle compared to what she's normally used to.
    How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Marcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Above you
    Posts
    15,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    I'm a big fan of the women's game so I'm pleased to see this happen. I have a feeling she'll be alright at this level; although as others mentioned, the extra pace might prove to be difficult to handle compared to what she's normally used to.
    Obviously it's a bit different but she'll have no doubt faced quicker than 85mph on a bowling machine and I've known girls to fare up to quicker stuff.
    The Overton twins were both clocked at 90mph at the U19s WC and this girl has faced up to both of those in Premier League cricket so it's not like it hasn't happened before.

  13. #13
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,236
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.
    Yeah, it's obviously of lower standard but I've been rather disenchanted with the men's version of the game for a while now. I think women's cricket is a breath of fresh air in some ways as they always seem to perform better than I expect them to, while I'm constantly left disappointed by the modern version of men's cricket. I admit that this is down to my own high expectations so I wouldn't expect others to share this view.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Obviously it's a bit different but she'll have no doubt faced quicker than 85mph on a bowling machine and I've known girls to fare up to quicker stuff.
    The Overton twins were both clocked at 90mph at the U19s WC and this girl has faced up to both of those in Premier League cricket so it's not like it hasn't happened before.
    Interesting. Wasn't aware that she faced them.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    Yeah, it's obviously of lower standard but I've been rather disenchanted with the men's version of the game for a while now. I think women's cricket is a breath of fresh air in some ways as they always seem to perform better than I expect them to, while I'm constantly left disappointed by the modern version of men's cricket. I admit that this is down to my own high expectations so I wouldn't expect others to share this view.



    .
    So you seem to set very low expectations for women's cricket and hence when you see their low quality cricket you find it amazing? While men's cricket despite being of much higher quality doesn't seem to fulfill your expectations?

  15. #15
    School Boy/Girl Captain cricmahanty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    116
    She's arguably the best batswoman going around. It'll take some time adjusting to the length of the boundaries, the running between the wickets (yes, men on an average run faster) and the height of the incoming deliveries. (which, on an average, will be more than what she has to deal with in women's cricket)

    As far as the keeping goes, she'll need to adjust to the pace of the deliveries.

    The news still sounds rather unreal to me though, I mean do they really allow that ? Women playing in a men's team ? Not that I have any problems with it.
    Last edited by cricmahanty; 15-01-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Animals Did Not Mind The Cricket
    By zaremba in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-02-2012, 07:10 AM
  2. World Cup 2011 Fantasy Cricket - Ready for your Team!
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 11:37 PM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •