Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Taylor to (possibly) play County 2nd XI cricket

Sarah Taylor to (possibly) play County 2nd XI cricket

Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere.

Sarah Taylor, the England women's wicketkeeper and probably the best female cricketer in the world (that is debatable), may play for Sussex 2nd XI next year.

News Article

Interview with Taylor

Mike Selvey analyses the challenge she will face

FWIW I think this is a great idea. She has incredible hand-eye coordination and a pretty sound technique, there is no reason why she couldn't perform at that level. I doubt she'd be more than a good keeper who contributes useful runs (mid-20s average at best) but even that would be better than anything most guys could do and a fine achievement.
    Last edited by Chubb; 15-01-2013 at 03:07 AM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Good on her for having a go at men's cricket. I don't see why she wouldn't be able to perform, especially with the gloves.

I'd even wager that she's #BetterThanWade behind the stumps.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    None of the links seem to work for me.

Absolutely no reason why she shouldn't if she's good enough tho.

Think the extra pace will take some adjusting to, having seem the speed international female seamers send 'em down at.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Defs wouldn't be explosive enough to take the tough chances. Sounds like a stunt.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Links fixed. Apologies, was posting from work...

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    she'll also have to make sure she wears the crotch and breast guards because men like to aim at the body
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    she'll also have to make sure she wears the crotch and breast guards because men like to aim at the body
    eh!? Most of the batsmen wear them too.

Mark Cosgrove is a big user of breast guards.

I'm a big fan of the women's game so I'm pleased to see this happen. I have a feeling she'll be alright at this level; although as others mentioned, the extra pace might prove to be difficult to handle compared to what she's normally used to.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Possible she could 'keep to Amjad Khan who is fairly rapid.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Himannv View Post
    I'm a big fan of the women's game so I'm pleased to see this happen. I have a feeling she'll be alright at this level; although as others mentioned, the extra pace might prove to be difficult to handle compared to what she's normally used to.
    How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.

Obviously it's a bit different but she'll have no doubt faced quicker than 85mph on a bowling machine and I've known girls to fare up to quicker stuff.
    The Overton twins were both clocked at 90mph at the U19s WC and this girl has faced up to both of those in Premier League cricket so it's not like it hasn't happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.
    Yeah, it's obviously of lower standard but I've been rather disenchanted with the men's version of the game for a while now. I think women's cricket is a breath of fresh air in some ways as they always seem to perform better than I expect them to, while I'm constantly left disappointed by the modern version of men's cricket. I admit that this is down to my own high expectations so I wouldn't expect others to share this view.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Obviously it's a bit different but she'll have no doubt faced quicker than 85mph on a bowling machine and I've known girls to fare up to quicker stuff.
    The Overton twins were both clocked at 90mph at the U19s WC and this girl has faced up to both of those in Premier League cricket so it's not like it hasn't happened before.
    Interesting. Wasn't aware that she faced them.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Yeah, it's obviously of lower standard but I've been rather disenchanted with the men's version of the game for a while now. I think women's cricket is a breath of fresh air in some ways as they always seem to perform better than I expect them to, while I'm constantly left disappointed by the modern version of men's cricket. I admit that this is down to my own high expectations so I wouldn't expect others to share this view.

So you seem to set very low expectations for women's cricket and hence when you see their low quality cricket you find it amazing? While men's cricket despite being of much higher quality doesn't seem to fulfill your expectations?

School Boy/Girl Captain cricmahanty's Avatar
    She's arguably the best batswoman going around. It'll take some time adjusting to the length of the boundaries, the running between the wickets (yes, men on an average run faster) and the height of the incoming deliveries. (which, on an average, will be more than what she has to deal with in women's cricket)

As far as the keeping goes, she'll need to adjust to the pace of the deliveries.

The news still sounds rather unreal to me though, I mean do they really allow that ? Women playing in a men's team ? Not that I have any problems with it.
    Last edited by cricmahanty; 15-01-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information