• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sarah Taylor to (possibly) play County 2nd XI cricket

Chubb

International Regular
Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere.

Sarah Taylor, the England women's wicketkeeper and probably the best female cricketer in the world (that is debatable), may play for Sussex 2nd XI next year.

News Article

Interview with Taylor

Mike Selvey analyses the challenge she will face

FWIW I think this is a great idea. She has incredible hand-eye coordination and a pretty sound technique, there is no reason why she couldn't perform at that level. I doubt she'd be more than a good keeper who contributes useful runs (mid-20s average at best) but even that would be better than anything most guys could do and a fine achievement.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Good on her for having a go at men's cricket. I don't see why she wouldn't be able to perform, especially with the gloves.

I'd even wager that she's #BetterThanWade behind the stumps.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
None of the links seem to work for me. :unsure:

Absolutely no reason why she shouldn't if she's good enough tho.

Think the extra pace will take some adjusting to, having seem the speed international female seamers send 'em down at.

smash84

The Tiger King
she'll also have to make sure she wears the crotch and breast guards because men like to aim at the body

Himannv

International Coach
I'm a big fan of the women's game so I'm pleased to see this happen. I have a feeling she'll be alright at this level; although as others mentioned, the extra pace might prove to be difficult to handle compared to what she's normally used to.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm a big fan of the women's game so I'm pleased to see this happen. I have a feeling she'll be alright at this level; although as others mentioned, the extra pace might prove to be difficult to handle compared to what she's normally used to.
How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously it's a bit different but she'll have no doubt faced quicker than 85mph on a bowling machine and I've known girls to fare up to quicker stuff.
The Overton twins were both clocked at 90mph at the U19s WC and this girl has faced up to both of those in Premier League cricket so it's not like it hasn't happened before.

Himannv

International Coach
How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.
Yeah, it's obviously of lower standard but I've been rather disenchanted with the men's version of the game for a while now. I think women's cricket is a breath of fresh air in some ways as they always seem to perform better than I expect them to, while I'm constantly left disappointed by the modern version of men's cricket. I admit that this is down to my own high expectations so I wouldn't expect others to share this view.

Obviously it's a bit different but she'll have no doubt faced quicker than 85mph on a bowling machine and I've known girls to fare up to quicker stuff.
The Overton twins were both clocked at 90mph at the U19s WC and this girl has faced up to both of those in Premier League cricket so it's not like it hasn't happened before.
Interesting. Wasn't aware that she faced them.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, it's obviously of lower standard but I've been rather disenchanted with the men's version of the game for a while now. I think women's cricket is a breath of fresh air in some ways as they always seem to perform better than I expect them to, while I'm constantly left disappointed by the modern version of men's cricket. I admit that this is down to my own high expectations so I wouldn't expect others to share this view.

So you seem to set very low expectations for women's cricket and hence when you see their low quality cricket you find it amazing? While men's cricket despite being of much higher quality doesn't seem to fulfill your expectations? :unsure:

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
She's arguably the best batswoman going around. It'll take some time adjusting to the length of the boundaries, the running between the wickets (yes, men on an average run faster) and the height of the incoming deliveries. (which, on an average, will be more than what she has to deal with in women's cricket)

As far as the keeping goes, she'll need to adjust to the pace of the deliveries.

The news still sounds rather unreal to me though, I mean do they really allow that ? Women playing in a men's team ? Not that I have any problems with it.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
She's arguably the best batswoman going around. It'll take some time adjusting to the length of the boundaries, the running between the wickets (yes, men on an average run faster) and the height of the incoming deliveries. (which, on an average, will be more than what she has to deal with in women's cricket)

As far as the keeping goes, she'll need to adjust to the pace of the deliveries.

The news still sounds rather unreal to me though, I mean do they really allow that ? Women playing in a men's team ? Not that I have any problems with it.
Lots of women play first grade club cricket which is in essentially only one level below county Second XI stuff, it's not that big a leap. I just hope that if she does play it's because Sussex think she's the best available player (which I doubt) and not just as a stunt or a nice gesture.

stumpski

International Captain
Doesn't have to be either/or does it? You can watch and follow both forms of the game. Obviously the men's game is what brings the sponsorship and the spectators in but the England women have improved hugely in the last few years and watching a women's game now and again makes a bit of a change, just as it would watching Scotland or Holland. I don't see how watching a closely-contested women's match is somehow 'worse' than watching New Zealand lose by an innings and 200.

And thanks everyone for not making lewd remarks about mixed showers (just thinking it :ph34r:)

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
While in school we had a girl on the team. Though admittedly she was probably the best athlete I've ever seen.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Is her Cricinfo page accurate about how many stumpings she has? Seems absurd that she has double the T20 stumpings as she does catches.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Lots of women play first grade club cricket which is in essentially only one level below county Second XI stuff, it's not that big a leap. I just hope that if she does play it's because Sussex think she's the best available player (which I doubt) and not just as a stunt or a nice gesture.
From my view of Sussex CCC it certainly wouldn't be a stunt or a gesture on their part. More likely a desire to challenge and develop a high-class female player.

I'd be really interested to see how this works out. Sussex are reportedly trying to dampen expectations though, so we will have to wait and see.