Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Taylor to (possibly) play County 2nd XI cricket

Quote Originally Posted by cricmahanty View Post
    She's arguably the best batswoman going around. It'll take some time adjusting to the length of the boundaries, the running between the wickets (yes, men on an average run faster) and the height of the incoming deliveries. (which, on an average, will be more than what she has to deal with in women's cricket)

As far as the keeping goes, she'll need to adjust to the pace of the deliveries.

The news still sounds rather unreal to me though, I mean do they really allow that ? Women playing in a men's team ? Not that I have any problems with it.
    Lots of women play first grade club cricket which is in essentially only one level below county Second XI stuff, it's not that big a leap. I just hope that if she does play it's because Sussex think she's the best available player (which I doubt) and not just as a stunt or a nice gesture.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.
    Doesn't have to be either/or does it? You can watch and follow both forms of the game. Obviously the men's game is what brings the sponsorship and the spectators in but the England women have improved hugely in the last few years and watching a women's game now and again makes a bit of a change, just as it would watching Scotland or Holland. I don't see how watching a closely-contested women's match is somehow 'worse' than watching New Zealand lose by an innings and 200.

And thanks everyone for not making lewd remarks about mixed showers (just thinking it )

State Vice-Captain
    While in school we had a girl on the team. Though admittedly she was probably the best athlete I've ever seen.

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Is her Cricinfo page accurate about how many stumpings she has? Seems absurd that she has double the T20 stumpings as she does catches.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Lots of women play first grade club cricket which is in essentially only one level below county Second XI stuff, it's not that big a leap. I just hope that if she does play it's because Sussex think she's the best available player (which I doubt) and not just as a stunt or a nice gesture.
    From my view of Sussex CCC it certainly wouldn't be a stunt or a gesture on their part. More likely a desire to challenge and develop a high-class female player.

I'd be really interested to see how this works out. Sussex are reportedly trying to dampen expectations though, so we will have to wait and see.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Fast bowlers might be averse to bowling bouncers at her.

I reckon the opposite tbh

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Sussex (Y)

Might get some good advice from Prior if the seconds mix with firsts for training. Not the best avenue for advice on keeping, but a decent option nonetheless.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    James Taylor in line to play some 2nd XI cricket too iirc
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Really?

Years ago, Australia's best female bowler (and reputedly the quickest in the world at the time) trained regularly with our club

At best, she was 3rd grade standard

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Well Elysse Perry played Sydney First Grade last year IIRC, which is stronger than the vast majority of club comps around, and acquitted herself pretty well, from memory.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Well Elysse Perry played Sydney First Grade last year IIRC, which is stronger than the vast majority of club comps around, and acquitted herself pretty well, from memory.
    No she didn't. She played in the u/21's competition. Elyse Perry is junk standard.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yeah and Karen Rolton once smashed Port Adelaide C's around (and got some press) but played no higher.

There should be nothing stopping women cricketers from trying to play men's cricket and I doubt there is any more but I'd be surprised if any of them made even a regular spot in 1sts their own. If one came along who did, that'd be great but I can't see it at this stage.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    How can you be a fan of women's cricket? I really don't understand it. It's such poor quality. It's like saying 'nah not a fan of professional golf, I'd rather go down to my local club and watch people who play off a 25 handicap go round'. Makes no sense to me.
    I enjoy much more watching my mates play local and state cup afl and league, stand on the hill and sink a few tinnies with mutual mates than go watch nrl/afl games tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    I enjoy much more watching my mates play local and state cup afl and league, stand on the hill and sink a few tinnies with mutual mates than go watch nrl/afl games tbh
    That's because you're a brain dead bogan though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information