• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
Doull making sense saying that Williamson best not to play T20 at the moment.
Pretty sure he's been saying Williamson should drop all white ball cricket for the last year or so. Williamson was ****ing good at List A cricket before he started playing internationals as well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I like Elliot lately and I think he's probably a good choice, but the thing about the horses for courses batting order is that it prevents batsmen from adding to their current skill set. Batsmen become pigeon-holed and their development is stunted.

Williamson is seen as an accumulator, and therefore will never be given the opportunity to develop his death over hitting (despite the fact that he's scored centuries at better than a run a ball and is quite capable of finding the boundary).

McCullum will forget about his once excellent accumulating abilities, and will lose his ability to play spin.

etc etc.

stumpski

International Captain
One over spell from Broad and Anderson is back on - clearly Cook feels we need a wicket. We've taken one in the last 24 overs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I like Elliot lately and I think he's probably a good choice, but the thing about the horses for courses batting order is that it prevents batsmen from adding to their current skill set. Batsmen become pigeon-holed and their development is stunted.

Williamson is seen as an accumulator, and therefore will never be given the opportunity to develop his death over hitting (despite the fact that he's scored centuries at better than a run a ball and is quite capable of finding the boundary).

McCullum will forget about his once excellent accumulating abilities, and will lose his ability to play spin.

etc etc.
I'm a little sceptical of this way of thinking. Think we're generally better off trying to develop batsman that are really good at one role rather than moderately good at lots of things.

Anyway, Elliott and Williamson will get plenty of chances to improve their hitting skills if they stay in until the death.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Williamson going slower than Trott but there's a distinct absence of a barrage of criticism.
I wasn't bagging Trott earlier, but to fair it's a lot different when you're chasing a moderate target than it is when you're batting first and trying to make the most of your resources. I don't reckon any of the people who bagged Trott earlier would've been complaining if they thought England only had to make 259.

thierry henry

International Coach
I wasn't bagging Trott earlier, but to fair it's a lot different when you're chasing a moderate target than it is when you're batting first and trying to make the most of your resources. I don't reckon any of the people who bagged Trott earlier would've been complaining if they thought England only had to make 259.
Fair point...although I'd say Trott was actually acutely aware that England rather lacked resources, if anything.

Also, not sure it's the best logic to attempt to chase a target by replicating the supposedly poor batting of the team who set said target.

Having said that...he's going well, go Kaneh :p

thierry henry

International Coach
Because NZ know the total they are chasing and he's aiming for that total. If we were chasing 280 then I'd be critical.
Trying to achieve the target in bang on 50 overs is not ideal. Trott was criticised because supposedly he was wasting scoring opportunities, that could equally apply to Williamson...