Page 9 of 508 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    And how many chances have you given these people who've managed to score runs?

Ronchi has already played some international cricket and given his background he's not going to horribly flawed or a medium pace bully. He'll be decent at least. A blazing ton and three failures is fine at NZ's stage given how bad their batting is.
    A whopping four ODIs for one 50 certainly proves this is the case.

He opens or he doesn't play. His style does not suit 3-5 and Brownlie and Watling are better than him and they're going to bat 6 and 7.

Unless you're a true gun like Gilchrist or Sehwag, being one paced is a big flaw in tests, especially in a team like NZ who need a lower order than can bat time.

He's a shoe in for the ODIs though, as bitter as it is to admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Even Ronchi thinks of himself as merely a good hitter tbf.

Cricket: Ronchi Ensures Firebirds Get A Move On | Stuff.co.nz

He wasn't going to die wondering yesterday against internationals Michael Bates and Kyle Mills, blasting 21 fours and two sixes.

"That's the way I bat. I'm no good trying to block it or leave it. If I start doing things like that, my mind is not where it needs to be.

"Any hundred's a good one for me and I'm pretty chuffed."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I'd play Williamson, Taylor, Ryder, Brownlie and Watling all ahead of Ronchi in the middle order.
    McCullum possibly too.

If Ronchi wants in he needs to open or get the gloves off Watling. Has done nothing to push his way past the aforementioned players.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

That's like saying England should have only picked guys who can outscore Hick or Ramprakash. It's a nonsense.
    Yeah, but the selectors who made those picks watched those batsmen play in the county comp and Ronchi is no Ramps because Ramps was a batsman. Ronchi is your typical modern day aggressive wicketkeeper batsman suited for 6 or 7 only. He doesn't fit. Watling may not be as destructive but he has a defensive technique, can bat time, and can go on the attack. He's simply a better batsman and good with the gloves to boot.

Ronchi opening isn't the most far fetched idea ever considering how desperate we are either tbf.

Completely yuck, but putting aside the yuck it's a reasonable call. Might get Williamson in at 40/1 off three overs instead of 10/1 off three.

Has Ronchi been ordinary with the gloves over there? Don't think there was too many complaints about his glove work over here.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Has Ronchi been ordinary with the gloves over there? Don't think there was too many complaints about his glove work over here.
    Been a few drops talked about, but then on the flipside he has his backers.

I don't have an issue with his glovework and I haven't seen enough to compare it to Watling. Watling has been tidy though, so I'd be surprised if there was enough in the gloves to separate the pair there.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 16-01-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Even Ronchi thinks of himself as merely a good hitter tbf.

Cricket: Ronchi Ensures Firebirds Get A Move On | Stuff.co.nz
    Is it too much to hope Eden Park wasn't a total road btw?

A whopping four ODIs for one 50 certainly proves this is the case.

He opens or he doesn't play. His style does not suit 3-5 and Brownlie and Watling are better than him and they're going to bat 6 and 7.

Unless you're a true gun like Gilchrist or Sehwag, being one paced is a big flaw in tests, especially in a team like NZ who need a lower order than can bat time.

He's a shoe in for the ODIs though, as bitter as it is to admit.
    So Brownlie and Watling go from 4 and 6 in the last match to MUST PLAY AT 6 AND 7 ABOVE ALL ELSE. So you're basically excluding someone who might be competent when you have a batting lineup full of incompetents who didn't even bat in the holy grail positions whch now have the reserve sign painted in?

NZ seem to have this idea that if they find the magic position that it means they'll suddenly perform like a competent Test batsman. So they juggle people around, devoid of any reasoning, ignoring the fact that you actually need to pick a competent Test batsman in the first place.

When NZ have Doug 'averages 10' Bracewell at 8 do they really want someone who can bat time and end up 15 not out off 40 balls? Southee is not exactly going to help with the whole grinding out partnerships thing is he when he returns?

NZ need to somehow make 250-300 in conditions where their seamers can knock the other team over for 200. Ronchi is actually perfect for NZ's dynamics. A random blazing 100 will turn the usual 70-5 scoreline into something competitive. Same as Taylor almost single-handedly carried the batting to win against Sri Lanka.
    Last edited by Scaly piscine; 16-01-2013 at 05:19 AM.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

So Brownlie and Watling go from 4 and 6 in the last match to MUST PLAY AT 6 AND 7 ABOVE ALL ELSE. So you're basically excluding someone who might be competent when you have a batting lineup full of incompetents who didn't even bat in the holy grail positions whch now have the reserve sign painted in?

NZ seem to have this idea that if they find the magic position that it means they'll suddenly perform like a competent Test batsman. So they juggle people around, devoid of any reasoning, ignoring the fact that you actually need to pick a competent Test batsman in the first place.

When NZ have Doug 'averages 10' Bracewell at 8 do they really want someone who can bat time and end up 15 not out off 40 balls? Southee is not exactly going to help with the whole grinding out partnerships thing is he?

NZ need to somehow make 250-300 in conditions where their seamers can knock the other team over for 200. Ronchi is actually perfect for NZ's dynamics. A random blazing 100 will turn the usual 70-5 scoreline into something competitive. Same as Taylor almost single-handedly carried the batting to win against Sri Lanka.
    Williamson, Taylor, Ryder, Brownlie, Watling, Vettori..thats the 3-8 for England all but confirmed if Vettori is fit since the word seems to be Ryder is coming back. There's talk of McCullum going into the middle order to boot, so that's some serious congestion of batsmen who are all better than Ronchi.

Who makes way for the Plunket Shield number 7?

Ronchi bats below Luke Woodcock and Grant Elliott for Wellington ffs. That's how highly he's rated as a proper batsman. He replaces Guptill as an opener or he doesn't play. It's unfortunate all our limited resources consist of middle order batsmen and wicketkeepers but that's the hand we've got to work with. Maybe Ronchi can go from being a 10 of clubs to the joker if he opens.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 16-01-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    A few sharp stumpings, hasn't struck me as say vintage Parore quality by any stretch.

Ronchi Drop - YouTube

Ronchi Drop #2 - YouTube

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Been a few drops talked about, but then on the flipside he has his backers.

I don't have an issue with his glovework and I haven't seen enough to compare it to Watling. Watling has been tidy though, so I'd be surprised if there was enough in the gloves to separate the pair there.
    I wouldn't call Watling's keeping tidy tbf. He was pretty messy in that last test. I'm not entirely convinced by Ronchi at this stage, but everyone seems to be convinced he's the best with the gloves in the country. It's all irrelevant anyway, as it looks like Ryder may be available for the test series if that meeting goes well, and that would stop any chance of a Watling/Ronchi combo at 6/7. That was the only way Ronchi was going to be included, especially when you consider Hesson already ruled out Watling as an opener.

btw on a sidenote i missed the majority of the last test apart from some memorable moments like watching that final lollapse at the pub, but in what way was Wagner bad? The thread was grim reading tstl.

I reckon Ronchi would be a better option than Watling but would still pick Watling at this stage. Incumbency is funny like that.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

I know Watling has been stuffed around a fair bit already, and it's probably more a timing issue now that he's starting to get settled, and I can understand why the status quo probably should be kept...

But, if I was picking the NZ side with a clean slate, Watling has history as an opening batsman, should feel somewhat confident at Test level, and you're alternative keeping option is better than your alternative opening options, especially if McCullum is moving down the order.

Page 9 of 508 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread Information